January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The RB we really need

Exactly. He is the second of Emerys favourites . Still pretty young. If we have to wait till the summer then i would expect Emery to wait ..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Remember when we were on the verge of signing Gerard Deulofeu this time last year?

Just checked how he's getting on at Udinese and he has not played a single game since we were on the verge of signing him so we got away with that one a bit.

He ruptured his ACL in Jan of that season so I a sense yes we did avoid a mistake by not signing a player who was injured.

Its like how we were rumoured to have agreed a fee and a contract for Tammy for last summer but he did his knee and look we did sign him I wonder why. 

55 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd take Wayne Rooney as a third striker option..

The only thing I’d take him for is a food eating contest.

stealing a wage from blues, glad they sacked him

• Confused 1

There’s gonna be a hell of a lot of bullshit to wade through as usual… the names being thrown around atm are Dybala and Werner.

If it was a choice between the two, who should we go for and why?

I don’t have strong opinions, not seen a lot of Dybala and when I have he hasn’t stood out… or massively impressed. Must be talented but he’s 30 now and is he also injury prone? Doesn’t seem to have done much for Argentina…

Werner’s stint at Chelsea (despite being a mess of a club in recent times) really put me off but… Unai can reignite players and careers… not a link that really excites me though… 

There will be more exciting and obscure links to come… 

I’m just trying to be relaxed about the situation and have full faith and trust in Unai and Monchi…

If we don’t sign anyone… I’ll assume Unai is happy with the squad and expects to have certain players back from injury and approaching sharpness or form… we have several we are waiting on in that regard. Other than that, it will probably have been difficult to convince certain ambitious targets to join…

Once again… we don’t really have gaps/spaces to fill but we can definitely raise the standard and quality in certain positions and it will be a major boost if we can do so…

If we do sign player(s)… happy days. Unai will get those of his own choosing and who he himself sees making enough of an impact and contribution to help us keep going and competing for the duration/remainder of the season in all competitions…

But it’s fun to speculate and theorise in the meantime 😆

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Remember when we were on the verge of signing Gerard Deulofeu this time last year?

Just checked how he's getting on at Udinese and he has not played a single game since we were on the verge of signing him so we got away with that one a bit.

Sure… but we’re looking at and shopping in a different market or at a higher level now… that was a long time ago (may have been nothing more than a rumour too)…

Players like Pau and Diaby would be viewed in that regard… he’s not at that sort of level. We may have been more “desperate” or eager to bring in players back then…

I’m assuming we want and target better players (and less injury prone ones) now… after the work Unai has done, the progress and our current standing… our existing ones have done oh so well so far…

But… maybe some of the players we didn’t sign or who refused us actually missed out… because Unai would have elevated them aswell and got them playing out of their skins like some of ours have been e.g. McGinn 😂

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

The RB we really need

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Exactly. He is the second of Emerys favourites . Still pretty young. If we have to wait till the summer then i would expect Emery to wait ..

Hmmm… you might wanna consider the opinion of our resident Argentinian @Daulmakan

Not the greatest fan of his 😆

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

There’s gonna be a hell of a lot of bullshit to wade through as usual… the names being thrown around atm are Dybala and Werner.

I don’t have strong opinions, not seen a lot of Dybala and when I have he hasn’t stood out… or massively impressed. Must be talented but he’s 30 now and is he also injury prone? Doesn’t seem to have done much for Argentina…

Werner’s stint at Chelsea (despite being a mess of a club in recent times) really put me off but… Unai can reignite players and careers… not a link that really excites me though… 

There will be more exciting and obscure links to come… 

I’m just trying to be relaxed about the situation and have full faith and trust in Unai and Monchi…

If we don’t sign anyone… I’ll assume Unai is happy with the squad and expects to have certain players back from injury and approaching sharpness or form… we have several we are waiting on in that regard. Other than that, it will probably have been difficult to convince certain ambitious targets to join…

Once again… we don’t really have gaps/spaces to fill but we can definitely raise the standard and quality in certain positions and it will be a major boost if we can do so…

If we do sign player(s)… happy days. Unai will get those of his own choosing and who he himself sees making enough of an impact and contribution to help us keep going and competing for the duration/remainder of the season in all competitions…

But it’s fun to speculate and theorise in the meantime 😆

I saw a youtuber come up with the idea of signing werner about 2 weeks ago.....

At first I was underwhelmed by the suggestion but the more I thought about it the more I warmed to the idea

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I saw a youtuber come up with the idea of signing werner about 2 weeks ago.....

At first I was underwhelmed by the suggestion but the more I thought about it the more I warmed to the idea

It's because he was good and he is a versatile forward. His non goal scoring stats are very good, shows he does a lot of work even if he isn't scoring. If Watkins was injured we'd need someone who could do what he does in terms of Striker role even if they weren't as good as him in scoring. 

Werner does seem like one Man United will sign though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Hmmm… you might wanna consider the opinion of our resident Argentinian @Daulmakan

Not the greatest fan of his 😆

https://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/errores-foyth-copa-america_0_M8ECMVBaI.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9003035/foyth-red-card-tottenham-bournemouth/

https://tntsports.com.ar/videos/gol-vancric-error-foyth-vf20191228mp4.html

https://www.tycsports.com/la-liga/villarreal-barcelona-el-grosero-error-de-foyth-que-termino-en-gol-de-griezmann-id337890.html

Enjoy.

Also, he is NOT a right back. He's played there when other options weren't available for Argentina, and he sucked even harder than at centre back.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Dybala is talented, but as you said, is pretty injury prone and doesn't really work well as a number 1 option, he doesn't thrive under pressure. He'd still be the choice out of those two, though, Werner sucks and has already proven he can't play in the Premier.

• Like 1

I’m intrigued to see which way the club go with both the RB and LM position. 

For the RB will we go for an attacking one in the mould of Moreno or will we go with a more defensive all rounder.

For the LM will we go for a right footed winger/inside forward that allows us to play a 433 or 4141 or will we go with a No10 that can come inside and score/assist - Simons/Wirtz being good examples. 

Ideally I’d like two options for both personally. An inside forward that can play out wide and also cover Watkins if needed, plus an attacking midfielder that can help us with the low block and be Ramseys competition.

For the RB position I’d go with the all rounder for now and revisit the attacking RB in the summer (Frimpong perhaps), with us looking to offload Cash at the same time.

Of course the above scenario is me being greedy though.

29 minutes ago, burchy said:

I’m intrigued to see which way the club go with both the RB and LM position. 

For the RB will we go for an attacking one in the mould of Moreno or will we go with a more defensive all rounder.

For the LM will we go for a right footed winger/inside forward that allows us to play a 433 or 4141 or will we go with a No10 that can come inside and score/assist - Simons/Wirtz being good examples. 

Ideally I’d like two options for both personally. An inside forward that can play out wide and also cover Watkins if needed, plus an attacking midfielder that can help us with the low block and be Ramseys competition.

For the RB position I’d go with the all rounder for now and revisit the attacking RB in the summer (Frimpong perhaps), with us looking to offload Cash at the same time.

Of course the above scenario is me being greedy though.

I do feel we are short in the right footed RM/RB. Some pace and able to do on the right what Moreno does on left.

Philogene was right footed winger who showed a lot defensively in the pre season games. 

I think we want a Pau, Mings/Carlos, Konsa functional back three in possession in certain games and to do that we want the two wingers being Moreno in LM and a new upgrade on Cash in RB or vice versa. 

Our attempts to sign Acuna to replace Digne shows to me Emery wants that versatile fullback who is strong attacking and can play LB/LM and on the right we have Cash and a new signing for the same RB/RM. 

I don't think we do any meaningful business. Maybe a back-up RB and back-up striker, if there are any reasonable options in the market. No dybalas and the sort to distract the team. Just breadth.

• Like 3