January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Breaking news, Dean Jones from Givemesport reckons Alex Moreno could quit Villa because of the top performances of Lucas Digne.

He's not been getting any game time and Dean doesn't see him getting in the team any time soon.

👀

EDIT: Does Dean Jones even follow football? 😂

🤦🏿‍♂️

" 50% Alex Moreno could be forced to quit Aston Villa after Lucas Digne performances "

https://www.astonvillanews.co.uk/2023/11/20/50-alex-moreno-could-be-forced-to-quit-aston-villa-after-lucas-digne-performances/

Tbf to Dean Jones*, he probably watched that Halloween video of Moreno with the mask and thought he'd let himself go a bit and there must be something up. Who was to realise that it was a prank and the social media team wasn't party to Moreno's attempts to murder Lucas Digne? I mean, it's easy to be fooled by such superb Halloween makeup. 

* Grade A, clickbait, utter drivel keyboard bashing, to**er.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's never been consistent since with us in Championship so not at top level

Had a great season with Roma when he signed, which he consistently performed in (you could only say he wasn't consistent if you count the injury missed games as inconsistent?)

Given the tactical switch for Kamara as a CM who drops into RCB in possession. I do think we need to find an aggressive alternative, more a mix of McGinn in pressing intensity and Kamara in ball recoveries. That will give us another option for the place beside Luiz and one Emery trusts. 

I still feel moving Digne on and replacing him with a LB of similar profile as Moreno is fundamental to Emery and how he wants to play. Top teams know Digne isn't going to carry the ball or take on opponent if he gets possession in space on left. Moreno will do that and our current attack will go up a level. 

I still feel we need a different type of central forward as an alternative to Watkins for certain games and as cover. Someone who can play off him or in place of him who is better suited to playing against a low block. Ferran Torrres is perfect for that role I feel. Probably too expensive for us now given we signed Diaby. 

The more I think about our squad the harder it is going to be to improve our first team. It's more about having different profiles of similar levels to allow Emery different options for specific opponents

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Given the tactical switch for Kamara as a CM who drops into RCB in possession. I do think we need to find an aggressive alternative, more a mix of McGinn in pressing intensity and Kamara in ball recoveries. That will give us another option for the place beside Luiz and one Emery trusts. 

I still feel moving Digne on and replacing him with a LB of similar profile as Moreno is fundamental to Emery and how he wants to play. Top teams know Digne isn't going to carry the ball or take on opponent if he gets possession in space on left. Moreno will do that and our current attack will go up a level. 

I still feel we need a different type of central forward as an alternative to Watkins for certain games and as cover. Someone who can play off him or in place of him who is better suited to playing against a low block. Ferran Torrres is perfect for that role I feel. Probably too expensive for us now given we signed Diaby. 

The more I think about our squad the harder it is going to be to improve our first team. It's more about having different profiles of similar levels to allow Emery different options for specific opponents

Yeah it's a bit nuts to be in the position we are in and not have a real genuine alternative for our striking position. 

Definitely think a striker is our priority however we have been so dependent on Ollie that we may be getting a bit like spurs when they had Kane - they struggled to recruit a top quality striker as they know they are coming in as second choice. Hence why they spunked £60m on richarlison

I do wonder if we will be in for Juan Foyth at right back from Sevilla. 25 years old from Argentina and will be used to the style of play that Emery plays. 

I am a fan of Cash, but I’m not sure that Konsa is the long term solution as a backup right back.

Anyone know more about Foyth to suggest he will be an upgrade on Cash? Barcelona were linked earlier this year. 

26 minutes ago, obanken said:

I do wonder if we will be in for Juan Foyth at right back from Sevilla. 25 years old from Argentina and will be used to the style of play that Emery plays. 

I am a fan of Cash, but I’m not sure that Konsa is the long term solution as a backup right back.

Anyone know more about Foyth to suggest he will be an upgrade on Cash? Barcelona were linked earlier this year. 

I don't believe he is fast enough. Not for our high line, and the athleticism of prem attackers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the priority should be right back - it's the only position where we've only got one real option - then perhaps another defensive midfielder for depth and potentially another forward addition. In the summer, I think we'll need to look at left back, just based on the ages of Moreno and Digne.

We're in an extremely difficult race for the next couple of seasons with Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle for those spots from 4th to 8th and we're going to need quality in depth if we're going to keep up with those teams.

Konsa can play there and yes far from ideal but I think currently he’s a better up for Cash than Duran is for Ollie.  

Not sure what’s going on with Duran situation.  

Anyway if Cash was out we could struggle by, but Ollie out, to then rely on Duran or play out of position one of the other attackers despite some on here advocating as an option, I think it a weaker position for us than right back and arguably the striker position is more crucial than right back.  

Getting somebody is another issue but which is weaker option wise, I think back up to Ollie is priority imo.  I’m sure many will disagree with me but it’s just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the priority should be right back - it's the only position where we've only got one real option - then perhaps another defensive midfielder for depth and potentially another forward addition. In the summer, I think we'll need to look at left back, just based on the ages of Moreno and Digne.

We're in an extremely difficult race for the next couple of seasons with Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle for those spots from 4th to 8th and we're going to need quality in depth if we're going to keep up with those teams.

Id have Sam Curtis from st pats , looks really good , Watched him yesterday evening for Ireland u21 v Italy, bags of potential, only 17

Edited by pete101

I think that right back is the only position where we are in desperate need of someone. As competition for Cash, like Digne is for Moreno. Moreno's injury shows how important it is to have quality back up for every position. After that it depends on replacing players one for one. There are lots of positions that could be discussed in this way. Olsen in goal, Dendoncker in defensive midfield, Duran up front. Those players are all capable of performing for us but aren't getting used much so maybe they might move on. We also have a couple of players to move on. Hause and Chambers. Also Traore is on the peripheral so I think we can expect some outgoings in January as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, obanken said:

Frimpong

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Frimpong would be badly exposed in our system simce he plays wing back in a back 3.

Moreno and Frimpong would be great to watch but we would be picked apart with ease defensively

ye, apparently Frimpong is known to be as bad at defending, as he is good at attacking.

anyways, we need a right back for sure, whoever it is.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Frimpong would be badly exposed in our system simce he plays wing back in a back 3.

Moreno and Frimpong would be great to watch but we would be picked apart with ease defensively

He's also beyond our means. We can't be spending £60m on a full back unless they totally transform us. He won't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Between pubil, arnau martinez and fresneda (I know he's already at sporting) we shouldn't need to spend £60m

Yet another thing Emery gives us.

Look what he's done to McGinn, Watkins, Konsa, Luiz, Bailey, Digne...

These players looked out of their depth. Playing at a shocking level.

Emery can elevate the seemingly ordinary to insane levels.

We shouldn't have to spend massively in every position to end up with a functional team.

My one concern is rotating Doug at the moment. We do seem to struggle when he's not on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I obviously, disagree 😊