Clément Lenglet

Tom13

Good signing. Not a particularly great player and can’t see him starting in our best XI, but given Emery clearly likes left footed centre halves playing on the left of a back 2/3, we need more cover.

It means Torres won’t have to basically play 50 games this season.

Short term deal for a specific purpose and no long term commitment. Can’t grumble, even if he isn’t a world beater.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Were you expecting us to sign a better CB than Pau Torres? He already improved our team.

Emery wants to be able to pick the right CB pairing for whoever we play which won't be the same pairing every week. I suspect he will be as alarmed as I was at seeing how easily Torres was brushed aside for the Burnley goal which suggests for all of his skills, he is nowhere near required Premier hardness as yet. I suspect Longlet would have held his ground with ease !

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There only way we get an insurance payout for Mings is if he can't play again and has to retire. 

Not true actually, his wages get covered for long term injury. It's what standard PL insurance contracts are. The excellent The Price fo Football podcast gave some insight into it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Not true actually, his wages get covered for long term injury. It's what standard PL insurance contracts are. The excellent The Price fo Football podcast gave some insight into it. 

Certainly getting our moneys worth from the policy this year. Would hate to see the renewal premiums next year 🫣

7 hours ago, striker said:

I would not want to use a player in any competition if his ability is so poor. He’d quite quickly become a liability!

He was average at Spurs but we're not talking Michael Keane bad.😉

And as said above this time last year we were loaning in Jan Bednarek so guy who's played often for France and many times in CL for one of the World's leading clubs is certainly a step up as reserve CB on that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

In 2017, we had Chris Samba as a CB option. 

In 2023, we have Clement Lenglet. 

Just remember where we were, not that long ago. 

In fairness Samba covered us up front too under Bruce

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

In 2017, we had Chris Samba as a CB option. 

In 2023, we have Clement Lenglet. 

Just remember where we were, not that long ago. 

To be fair, Samba wasn't that bad, when comparing to the fact that Elphick, Bree, Hutton and Jedinak all had games at centre-back that year... 😂

• Like 2

Â