• Olsen (Martínez 45)
    • Tielemans (Kamara 67)
    • Durán (Bailey 69)
    • Traoré (Watkins 69)
    • Cash (Konsa 75)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/08/23 at 22:59

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

this would have been different if the Villa fans had started chanting Engerland or even worse the National Anthem.........you would have seen and heard some reaction then 😉🤣)

Heard one version of God Save The king loud and clear on TV near the end!

• Like 3

It was good to see Villa legend Des Bremner and I forgave him a long time ago for scoring for SHA against us, in a 0-3 rout, all those years ago.

As for the game, it must have been embarrassing for Scottish football to see a team that finished 5th last season, get so thoroughly out-classed.

They chose to play very narrow in an attempt to stop Watkins charging down the middle, and left Digne all the space and time he needed, to send his crosses in, for an early aerial bombardment by Villa.

It was great to see Villa romp home but it confirmed my doubts about the quality of the competition.

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

At least Hibs can take solace in the fact that they're about as good as Everton.

don't you think they're upset enough without being told that?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

it confirmed my doubts about the quality of the competition.

It was always just the opportunity for a Stevenage style slip up, but for once we had the right attitude and set up.

As a very loose guide to the quality of opposition last night, for the last 5 years 2 teams from the Welsh Prem have played in one of the Scottish cup competitions which is open to all Scottish leagues but the SPL play their B teams in it. In 5 years the Welsh teams have reached the final once, and separate to that the semis twice. Christian Doidge who came on as a sub for Hibs, was let go by Barry Town.

The commentators mentioned up at the start of the game that Hibs had spent £1.4 Million in closed season, and got 3 players for that.

It doesn’t mean you can’t lose against them, it just means 0:5 was an expected result ‘on paper’. I think the same will be true all the way through the competition.

4 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

( plus there is very little malice towards Villa ...........this would have been different if the Villa fans had started chanting Engerland or even worse the National Anthem.........you would have seen and heard some reaction then 😉🤣)

Flower of Scotland all the way (over that shitsheet England call a 'national anthem').

4 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Well done to the Hibs singing section "Block 7" for keeping going for the whole 90 minutes.........not easy when your team are chasing shadows for that time and are 5 down.

It must be said that the atmosphere your fans generated for 90 minutes was top drawer given the score.  👏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The commentators mentioned up at the start of the game that Hibs had spent £1.4 Million in closed season, and got 3 players for that.

I think I heard this on a podcast previewing the game but I’ve checked and it’s true, but Hibs two most expensive signings ever are both players who we signed. Second is John McGinn who they bought for a million and sold to us for £3.75m and their club record signing and only other player they’ve ever paid more than a million for? Ulysses de la Cruz.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I think I heard this on a podcast previewing the game but I’ve checked and it’s true, but Hibs two most expensive signings ever are both players who we signed. Second is John McGinn who they bought for a million and sold to us for £3.75m and their club record signing and only other player they’ve ever paid more than a million for? Ulysses de la Cruz.  

Believe me that spending that much on pre season is unusual and we were surprised that the club had forked out so much!  One of those was injured in Luzern last week so we are not even seeing him play.😪

de la cruz was our most expensive player at 700,000.  

It's a different World so enjoy the English Premier League whilst it lasts😉

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Heard one version of God Save The king loud and clear on TV near the end!

Funny that as I was next door to the Villa and I never heard it. If you want to do it with style and volume you need to study The Rangers fans ..........they really belt it out and the hibs will respond with gusto😉🤣

Great to see us playing in Scotland, it's a place that feels connected to villa, not sure why but it does and McGinn is arguably our most important player, thanks. 

Hibs got amongst us and tried to make it physical but Emery has got us playing the best football I have seen us play, since big Ron, in possession the best I have ever seen us play.

There's room for improvement,  a few sloppy passes and at time careless ones as well. Sometimes you have to play the easy ball to maintain possession especially in our own half. I don't like 60/40 balls in these areas, up front or behind the strikers maybe but not in defence or in front of it. 

This time last year we would have struggled in this game and that goes to show how a good coach /manager can perform miracles.

Have a great season Hibs and hope you enjoy your trip down to the Midlands next week.....but not too much UTV 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Great to see us playing in Scotland, it's a place that feels connected to villa, not sure why but it does and McGinn is arguably our most important player, thanks. 

Hibs got amongst us and tried to make it physical but Emery has got us playing the best football I have seen us play, since big Ron, in possession the best I have ever seen us play.

There's room for improvement,  a few sloppy passes and at time careless ones as well. Sometimes you have to play the easy ball to maintain possession especially in our own half. I don't like 60/40 balls in these areas, up front or behind the strikers maybe but not in defence or in front of it. 

This time last year we would have struggled in this game and that goes to show how a good coach /manager can perform miracles.

Have a great season Hibs and hope you enjoy your trip down to the Midlands next week.....but not too much UTV 

We are connected. William McGregor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it just my imagination or, after about 07:58 of this video, is Bertrand Traore grinning like a Cheshire cat having just twisted the Hibs defence into a mess. I love that.

Thanks for sharing that........absolutely brilliant, bringing a different view of the game.

I think Traore must have had a smile on his face all the time given the amount of space he was allowed. 🙂  First saw him when I went to an Ajax game about 6 years ago and have been a fan ever since .

• Like 1

Â