Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Yeah sorry mate.

He looks a good player but I'm quite concerned by his injury record. We're fixing an injury problem with someone with injury problems, it's strange but extremely apt for Aston Villa I feel.

I may be wrong but hasn’t Emery always done this? 

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I feel like the  Zaniolo signing has gone under the radar of rival PL fans, but he could end the season with a lot of attention from them. 

We have first option with the conditional loan to buy so I wouldn't worry.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Let's hope defenders let him go under the radar. No risk signing tbh, clever move loaning him, shows we have moved on with our football intelligence. 

Him and Diaby will be our first choice up front, if they are fit. This guys a winner , he ain't come here to make the numbers up that's for sure. 

Ollie dropped?

I’m by no stretch of the imagination an expert on Zaniolo but one thing I reckon is that he is definitely not scared of a big stage..

…and I think some players come in to our club not realising that our stage is pretty f**king big.. Zaniolo comes in relishing it.. Bodes well in my eyes

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ollie dropped?

I don't think so but Diaby and Zaniolo are both talented and driven, it's upto Ollie to stay in the team. Zaniolo is good enough to have the question asked, imo. It's not just his technical ability it's his hunger to succeed. I maybe wrong, as others have posted, I think he's our most important signing yet.

The deal, the player and his potential are all top class, its not our usual standard signing. 👏 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

I’m by no stretch of the imagination an expert on Zaniolo but one thing I reckon is that he is definitely not scared of a big stage..

…and I think some players come in to our club not realising that our stage is pretty f**king big.. Zaniolo comes in relishing it.. Bodes well in my eyes

I agree, there was a sense of this in his interview...

Seems very confident, hopefully a bit of a swagger about him on the football pitch.

Long article about him in the Athletic...select quote here...

https://theathletic.com/4783519/2023/08/18/nicolo-zaniolo-a-game-changing-talent-but-consistency-remains-elusive/

Zaniolo’s career record remains strong. He averages a goal or an assist every three games and, in the past year, ranks in the top three per cent of attacking midfielders from Europe’s top five leagues for shots per 90 minutes (3.52) — according to Fbref, he is in the 91st percentile for non-penalty expected goals (0.34).

His direct and quick shooting, a propensity from an early age, has big implications on the overall substance of his game, where he can lack patience at key times but, as outlined, can produce game-changing moments. For example, while his xG is high he can be wasteful in the final third, ranking in just the 28th percentile for goals scored.

Another case in point is demonstrated in his pass and possessional volume. Remarkably, he is in the bottom one per cent for passes completed (13.21) and attempted (19.90) per game over the past year. This has directly contributed to his progressive passing distance also being in 1st percentile, with passes into the final third (16th percentile) only fractionally better.

The touches he does have, however, are threatening. He takes risks on the ball and ranks in the 80th percentile for take-ons attempted (4.93 per 90), with only 15 per cent of attacking midfielders having more touches inside the box (5.46 per 90). As a direct consequence, Zaniolo is among the top one per cent for winning penalties — equating to one spot kick every five games.

Sounds like he's more of a carrier than a passer...so not really a Buendia-type player.

That said...if he creates lots of chances but is wasteful with them...that means Delphinho will have someone to be frustrated with in Buendia's absence. 🙂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TomC said:

Sounds like he's more of a carrier than a passer.

He has been played that way a lot, when he starts from further up the pitch I suppose he gets encouraged to take his man on and be direct. He's got a great first touch, he's a very good passer of the ball and he has very good awareness of what's happening around him. He can spot a pass that defenders wouldn't have thought about. Yet to be seen where Emery plays him but there's more to him than running at players and taking them on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TomC said:

https://theathletic.com/4783519/2023/08/18/nicolo-zaniolo-a-game-changing-talent-but-consistency-remains-elusive/

Sounds like he's more of a carrier than a passer...so not really a Buendia-type player.

That said...if he creates lots of chances but is wasteful with them...that means Delphinho will have someone to be frustrated with in Buendia's absence. 🙂

Yes. And given we were looking at him before Buendia's injury perhaps he is viewed as an alternative to Bailey rather than a replacement for Emi.

Coutinho is the only guy who can play how Emi does from his position. I hope he can contribute this season. I actually thought JPB deserved the start past week though.

Will be interesting to see how we line up today. 

7 hours ago, TomC said:

Well Emery has improved Watkins by simplifying what his role is. Hopefully he'll dothe same with Zaniolo. I see him as playing up supporting Watkins and getting goals

Â