Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

It's very easy to forget how public the Internet and forums are when posting from your phone or laptop in your own home. Even now after 20 odd years of it, and it is easy to misconstrue meaning, and ascribe the worse intentions to ambiguous lines. 

I have mixed feelings about it all, I have enjoyed the lovely ladies threads over the years and, particularly when younger and when I had a social life with other male friends, there was that element of gossip about romantic lives or pursuits. I would have thought most of it was relatively harmless but no doubt too female observers might have accused us of crossing lines or of being inappropriate. I'm older and wiser now I hope  but not quite sure on what the right attitude is to coming across flippant commentary. I can be flippant myself and I know if I'm just being ironic or intentionally mischievous but would someone else? All comes back to remembering it's public.

There's a caricature of blokes in a pub all rating women in a boorish manner that wouldn't appeal to me and then there's men just chatting men stuff occasionally getting carried away talking about shagging. There are nuanced differences ( I think? ) where the latter might also be more self deprecating and self aware they're talking nonsense. I mean inhad groups of male and female friends at Uni and life after uni where we'd all share similar jokes. But i guess key thing is we knew each other and how far we could generally push a topic before causing offence.

Dunno if I'm making any point here at all just rambling on. But being here long enough I don't have negative views of posters simply for being "red blooded" ( iffy phrase) about sex. But equally sometimes something does make me 'jeez that's iffy'. Oh I'll shut up now, before I accidentally end up endorsing the wrong stuff.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

There's a caricature of blokes in a pub all rating women in a boorish manner that wouldn't appeal to me

I agree with what your post especially the boundary element of it , but highlighting the  bit above in particular as  I gave a wrong impression earlier in the thread 

I should be clear that my conversations down the pub with my mates aren’t just about barmaids and fit women and not every barmaid gets a rating the second we walk into a pub .. we are in our 50’s still dreaming we are in our 20’s , we aren’t standing there leering like a bunch of 20 year old here we go Mancs in bucket hats.

thing is if you’re out in a pub  and in walks a stunning looking women , who has clearly made an effort with her outfit and appearance  , well I think most men are going to notice , aren’t they ? Now maybe the correct behaviour in 2023 is to say nothing , but inevitably the conversation will turn in that direction once the topic of global warming and politics has been  exhausted of course .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree with what your post especially the boundary element of it , but highlighting the  bit above in particular as  I gave a wrong impression earlier in the thread 

I should be clear that my conversations down the pub with my mates aren’t just about barmaids and fit women and not every barmaid gets a rating the second we walk into a pub .. we are in our 50’s still dreaming we are in our 20’s , we aren’t standing there leering like a bunch of 20 year old here we go Mancs in bucket hats.

thing is if you’re out in a pub  and in walks a stunning looking women , who has clearly made an effort with her outfit and appearance  , well I think most men are going to notice , aren’t they ? Now maybe the correct behaviour in 2023 is to say nothing , but inevitably the conversation will turn in that direction once the topic of global warming and politics has been  exhausted of course .

Most of the women I know are worse than blokes for that sort of behaviour, to be honest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remind myself that I have a 23 yr old niece who is all about the glamour and style....I soon stop letching at the lovelies in town (mate) !

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

thing is if you’re out in a pub  and in walks a stunning looking women , who has clearly made an effort with her outfit and appearance  , well I think most men are going to notice , aren’t they ? Now maybe the correct behaviour in 2023 is to say nothing , but inevitably the conversation will turn in that direction once the topic of global warming and politics has been  exhausted of course

Absolutely. Nobody is suggesting that you can't say you fancy somebody in the pub! 

The issue is the use of inappropriate language and 'humour' here on VT, and whether it is any less offensive than casual racism. 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely. Nobody is suggesting that you can't say you fancy somebody in the pub! 

How can you tell you are getting old?

When you are young and you go to the pub in summer, you admire the women, but when you are getting on, you admire the hanging-baskets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

When you are young and you go to the pub in summer, you admire the women, but when you are getting on, you admire the hanging-baskets.

Speak for yourself. 

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The issue is the use of inappropriate language and 'humour' here on VT, and whether it is any less offensive than casual racism. 

Yeah I subsequently realised that I kinda went away from  the intent of your original post with my reply yesterday  (sorry)

was just really following up on it as it had become a part of the wider conversation and just wanted to add some more context to it .

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Listening to some comments on here, there maybe more women on here than we think! 😂

On a more serious note, it's all over the internet chap, we shouldn't be worried what's posted on here, it's hardly hardcore, I mean there's worse over on Mumsnet, a couple on here know that.

23 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It's the eyesight fading and trying to find my libido that gets me.

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

On a more serious note, it's all over the internet chap, we shouldn't be worried what's posted on here 

So is racism and homophobia - do you think we should allow that on here? 

• Like 1

There will always be people stuck behind the curve, but even they get dragged up to greater level of civilisation eventually just by seeing less and less people are talking and acting like them. It’s very much a slowly slowly thing that those who don’t like using their brain so much will eventually without realising it develop manners. They’ll think in the short term that if they don’t display their cocks / they’re cocks, then they won’t get sex and might turn in to a gay or a cuck. Similarly there will be females that for various reasons are happy to accept the attention. 

But we will evolve. Less women are willing to accept being beaten up, more men can see the advantages of a partner that is an equal. We’ll get there.

Today’s woke is tomorrow’s normal.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I mean there's worse over on Mumsnet, a couple on here know that.

Which couple?

Have we got a gay couple on VT?

(insert Chang GIF here)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There will always be people stuck behind the curve, but even they get dragged up to greater level of civilisation eventually just by seeing less and less people are talking and acting like them. It’s very much a slowly slowly thing that those who don’t like using their brain so much will eventually without realising it develop manners. They’ll think in the short term that if they don’t display their cocks / they’re cocks, then they won’t get sex and might turn in to a gay or a cuck. Similarly there will be females that for various reasons are happy to accept the attention. 

But we will evolve. Less women are willing to accept being beaten up, more men can see the advantages of a partner that is an equal. We’ll get there.

Today’s woke is tomorrow’s normal.

Your coming across as if you'think you have evolved into close to the perfect man, unfortunately for you, many women don't go for that, but it certainly doesn't mean the alternative is being beaten up, just a bit less boring perhaps. 

Reading through many of your posts, I'm far away from your idealistic thinking, but it's never caused me any problems with the opposite sex, so I very much doubt all they want is a male population who are woke in there attitudes and personalities, if you think that, you don't have much experience with women.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your coming across as if you'think you have evolved into close to the perfect man, unfortunately for you, many women don't go for that, but it certainly doesn't mean the alternative is being beaten up, just a bit less boring perhaps. 

Reading through many of your posts, I'm far away from your idealistic thinking, but it's never caused me any problems with the opposite sex, so I very much doubt all they want is a male population who are woke in there attitudes and personalities, if you think that, you don't have much experience with women.

Your coming across as if you'think you have evolved into close to the perfect man‘’s what?!

Â