Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

so what? women can be at letcherous as they want about us in the pub...we can get ourselves obliterated in the pub, and walk home alone alone perfectly safely. not sure if it's still on All4 but Dispatches Undercover: Sexual Harassment showed the grim reality that women cannot do the same. would you feel unsafe if a group of women turned their heads to check you out when you walked in to the pub? didn't think so...however most women would feel incredibly uncomfortable.

I totally agree but what I will say is that I've had my arse felt 3 times by women when out and about. Maybe more, that's just off the top of my head.  I've not once grabbed a woman's arse. 

There are some double standards at play. 

One time was in The Tower Ballroom Edgbaston so probably doesn't count. If you're not edging around the walls of the room you were essentially begging for it in there. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I know you've replied to Chris but it seems he has been the bigger man and not taken your bait. I'll have a bite though. I have had loads of experience/engagement with women and can honestly say me being alert to racial prejudices and discrimination and having an awareness of social inequalities, including sexism, has never been a hindrance. In fairness though I wouldn't really want to engage with a woman who wasn't similarly aligned let alone have wanted any kind of relationship with them.

Maybe you have the wrong definition of woke but the true definition I'd be very confident to say is a trait that is very attractive to the vast majority of women. Maybe you've been going wrong pal and you could have had far more experience/success with women than you claim to have had if you'd have adopted some of the woke values (assuming you know the correct meaning of the word) you seem to be so against. 

So your nice boy who pulls nice politically correct women, that's all nice. But women like rough and tough lads too (not saying I am one), but it don't make them lower class than the women you claim to pull.

You do realise, one size don't fit all im sure,, people are different, don't make them wrong uns, so I don't need a lesson on  my personal life or how to be as nice as you.

Can't actually believe we are having this conversation on a fans football forum. An at that,  I'm out, roll on the season starting so we can say how shit Watkins is without having our personality analysed!!

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I totally agree but what I will say is that I've had my arse felt 3 times by women when out and about. Maybe more, that's just off the top of my head. 

Thats horrendous. Where exactly did these incidents take place, you know, just so I can avoid them :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Yeah but it's a football forum mate, not **** Mumsnet!

You’re literally posting in an area entirely specifically for non-football conversation. Why are you surprised?!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh, to be honest I think it’s the other way round. No-one here is really offended by much, it’s a very tolerant place… but you seemingly are quite offended/maybe intolerant?  Whether that’s about what Sam Smith wears, or people not talking about “pulling birds” or whatever it may be; I’d say that you’re probably one of the most sensitive people on here and often sign off with quite huffy things (like the above - “an at that, I’m out”).

But kudos for having the sensitive conversations with the board, it’s always good to hear different views*.

* - even if they’re wrong ;) 

Believe, it really isn't!

Im pretty sure if we had these conversations in the early 90s it would be different to what it is now.

The worlds changed, the humours changed, the banters changed, hell even comedy has changed.

Is it better now? Thats down to people to make their own decision

Only thing id say is we have certainly become a nation that gets offended easily as time passes 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im pretty sure if we had these conversations in the early 90s it would be different to what it is now.

The worlds changed, the humours changed, the banters changed, hell even comedy has changed.

Is it better now? Thats down to people to make their own decision

Only thing id say is we have certainly become a nation that gets offended easily as time passes 

Another possibility could be that plenty of people were offended in ‘the good old days’ but often felt like they were in a minority and had better keep it to themselves for fear of ‘rocking the boat’?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Another possibility could be that plenty of people were offended in ‘the good old days’ but often felt like they were in a minority and had better keep it to themselves for fear of ‘rocking the boat’?

So just like how people are now scared to rock the boat with LGBTQ you mean?

If you look back at all the crude jokes and sexism in hollywood for example from all the years ago id say you would have hardly any films to choose from these days.

You would have no inbetweeners for example, no ali g, shallow hal another example

Edited by Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Offence is not a measure of prejudice or discrimination. It's a feeling.

I agree. But if you offended easy you ahouldnt watch many comedies from the 90s as must of them were offensive hence why they were successful 

For example No one is going to tell me inbetweeners although offensive was not hilarious 

Edited by Demitri_C

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah - just look at all the fuss over trans people. Why are people so offended over it? It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 09:28, mjmooney said:

But is casual sexism the last bastion of VT's unreconstructed male football fan 'blokiness'? 

https://www.villatalk.com/guidelines

The basic ethos of this site is to be welcoming to all and to treat other posters as you would like to be treated. This means no swearing, abuse, threats, insults, racism, sexism, homophobia or “better fan” comments and no unsubstantiated accusations against any public figures. If you notice any infringement of the site guidelines, please use the report function to alert the moderators.

If posters don’t report it…

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. But if you offended easy you ahouldnt watch many comedies from the 90s as must of them were offensive hence why they were successful 

For example No one is going to tell me inbetweeners although offensive was not hilarious

I seem to remember the inbetweeners being the most voted for comedy of VT's best british tv comedies thread fwiw.

I think the point I was trying to make is that offending people (be it through comedy or whatever) is totally fine, but it's used in conversations like this in place of discrimination. 'People being offended by XYZ are the problem' yadda yadda yadda. Of course 10 years ago or so a campaign of protest affected change with the repeal of section5 of the Public Order Act - where the word insulting was removed from the legislature. It's not an attack on you Dem or anyone else who has said it in this thread - and 10 years ago it was a relevant argument. But one that was won (because of dissent). Using it propogates a distracting rhetoric around the culture war imho.

Someone being offended by Sam Smith's belly is ok. Someone else being offended by protestors is also ok. People being offended by racism or sexism is not - but not because of the offense bit - but because of the discrimination or prejudice bit.

• Thanks 1

Â