Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

In partial defence of @foreveryoung, I know I'm VT's chief Grammar Nazi, but in this instance, ad hominem nitpicking over his spelling and punctuation distracts from the issues.

There's plenty to go at in the actual content.  ;) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s definition of male gaze, isn’t it.

When it is used as a presumption of the audience for a film or a play or whatever, it can be commercially limiting. By my last count, roughly half the people on earth are female, so making all your stuff you want people to buy so its male centric is sort of limiting your profit potential. I think a lot of the smarter companies trying to sell ‘stuff’ have realised they need to move on from the male gaze and sell to anyone that wants to buy.

If ‘male gaze’ means staring at titties, then that becomes more problematic. The majority of men are programmed to make more humans, it’s how we got here. So all of a sudden you have a potential clash between people’s right to wear whatever they want, and a natural predisposition amongst others to clock the titties.

If I’m walking down the street and a young woman has figure revealing clothing on, that’s her right. That I notice, is my nature. The rest, whether she wants to be noticed by me, whether I ogle and stare, the finer timing of the whole thing, whether I swing off scaffolding and shout ‘alright darlin’ like some safari park baboon is kind of the difference between the ladzz in the pub who still need to prove to the other ladzz they aren’t gay, and a slightly less letchy wanky way of going through life. Maturity. 

Like so many things these days a simple statement about male gaze and its legitimacy, there are a million long answers, but newspapers can’t use words with more than five letters and tv can’t run a discussion for more than 2 minutes. So we have to decide good / bad. And decide it quickly. Because the baboons are wanking again.

I'll put this out there now. I'm looking at the titties. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I'll put this out there now. I'm looking at the titties. 

It’s literally how and why we are here.

The trick is to notice the titties, but then not airdrop a picture of a cock or slap her arse or talk to the tits or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Empathy, respect, maturity. It’s not for everyone.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s literally how and why we are here.

The trick is to notice the titties, but then not airdrop a picture of a cock or slap her arse or talk to the tits or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Empathy, respect, maturity. It’s not for everyone.

Living by the seaside as you do, you must have had a McGill moment or two!

17 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Cheeky postcards depicting man with eyes on stalks!

Ha!

Yes I guess so yes. Although to be honest, a few years working in the hotel trade was more of an eye opener. Aged 18 / 19 / 20 and working as the night manager / bar manager you certainly did learn fast that there were lots n lots of different types of people. You would be the last member of staff on duty, the hotel is yours. Guests didn’t have ‘pub hours’ they have a 24 hour bar. You’d get quite good at spotting the ones that were going to become tomorrow’s talking point with the breakfast shift staff. It was like a Confessions movie at times.

To be honest, you learned fast not to let some guests get between you and their bedroom door! All sorts of everything.

When we have the big VT meet up I shall tell you some stories over a cuppa. 

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ha!

Yes I guess so yes. Although to be honest, a few years working in the hotel trade was more of an eye opener. Aged 18 / 19 / 20 and working as the night manager / bar manager you certainly did learn fast that there were lots n lots of different types of people. You would be the last member of staff on duty, the hotel is yours. Guests didn’t have ‘pub hours’ they have a 24 hour bar. You’d get quite good at spotting the ones that were going to become tomorrow’s talking point with the breakfast shift staff. It was like a Confessions movie at times.

To be honest, you learned fast not to let some guests get between you and their bedroom door! All sorts of everything.

Cue Japan's Nightporter! 😀

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Risso said:

Most of the women I know are worse than blokes for that sort of behaviour, to be honest. 

so what? women can be at letcherous as they want about us in the pub...we can get ourselves obliterated in the pub, and walk home alone alone perfectly safely. not sure if it's still on All4 but Dispatches Undercover: Sexual Harassment showed the grim reality that women cannot do the same. would you feel unsafe if a group of women turned their heads to check you out when you walked in to the pub? didn't think so...however most women would feel incredibly uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You’re gonna need a bigger microwave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I know you've replied to Chris but it seems he has been the bigger man and not taken your bait. I'll have a bite though. I have had loads of experience/engagement with women and can honestly say me being alert to racial prejudices and discrimination and having an awareness of social inequalities, including sexism, has never been a hindrance. In fairness though I wouldn't really want to engage with a woman who wasn't similarly aligned let alone have wanted any kind of relationship with them.

Maybe you have the wrong definition of woke but the true definition I'd be very confident to say is a trait that is very attractive to the vast majority of women. Maybe you've been going wrong pal and you could have had far more experience/success with women than you claim to have had if you'd have adopted some of the woke values (assuming you know the correct meaning of the word) you seem to be so against. 

You give me too much credit, I hadn’t realised he was talking to me ‘cos he’s on my ignore list.

I’ve read it since, and it’s very very hurtful. 

Â