Charles De Ketelaere

Wes

I don't know much about him but I am not sure what he did for AC Milan last season is a stick to beat him with. He made 40 appearance in total including 13 starts. This as a 21 year old (he only turned 22 in March) for a club that finished 4th in Serie A and made the champs league semi finals. 

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't know much about him but I am not sure what he did for AC Milan last season is a stick to beat him with. He made 40 appearance in total including 13 starts. This as a 21 year old (he only turned 22 in March) for a club that finished 4th in Serie A and made the champs league semi finals. 

And scored no goals 

26 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

If we are signing him it's to play now, we won't be spending 30m and loaning him out. I haven't seen enough of him, personally would prefer someone with pace and composure, but I'd trust Emery if he feels he can make an impact, similarly to Asensio, he's not the quickest either so it looks like we're favouring technical ability.

Regarding the technical side of things, which is why I don’t think the likes of Barnes were ever top targets. 

• Like 1

He’s only 22… there is a lot of room to grow there. He’s 9 months older than Cameron Archer to put it in perspective.

If he’s a young player with tonnes of potential but it hasn’t worked out, I would give him a chance to turn it around. Especially if the fee and wages are reasonable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Milan fans seem happy with news, they are even taking the piss out of the fee

I've not seen the latter tbh. Most that I saw seem to think that he's being played out of position and also there were those who think they shouldn't sell lower than 30m. 

• Like 1

I personally don’t rate him, he’s been really poor in Italy. Watched an obligatory YouTube video from his time in Belgium to see if that would sway me, but he even looks average at best on there. 

Obviously in Unai we trust, but I’m not a fan of this one. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If we buy him we should loan him out immediately, he will struggle to cope in Premier League and was anonymous most weeks at Milan. Needs to bulk up and get his confidence back

I may be wrong but doesn’t Emery like to build up players who have struggled previously, I’d say a yr under his tutelage would be better than a loan out at his age

6 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I personally don’t rate him, he’s been really poor in Italy. Watched an obligatory YouTube video from his time in Belgium to see if that would sway me, but he even looks average at best on there. 

Obviously in Unai we trust, but I’m not a fan of this one. 

He's had one season abroad and despite being "really poor", somehow managed to clock up 32 appearances.  Apparently lived with his mother until 2021.  That's one hell of an unsetting period, being taken out of your surroundings.

The expectation on young footballers is utterly insane sometimes - he's only recently turned 22.

Flopped hard at Milan - but obviously talented and had most of the CL glitterati interested in him last summer. Sometimes things just don't work out, but we'd be buying him knowing he's someone who blew away the Belgian league as a 20yo and looked good against some CL teams, but then couldn't perform at a big club in a tougher league.

Tall, technically good, good touch, intelligent, has shown he can play in pretty much any attacking role (except maybe as a true winger, but nobody is playing with a 6ft4 winger anyway), but he's not a strong player, he's not that fast, and his confidence is probably **** given he's been ruled one of the biggest disappointments of last season in European football. 1 assist for the reigning champions of the league, ouch.

A gamble. If it works, could be incredible (and hence Milan wanting a chunky sell on - they know he's potentially very good) but equally it may be the case that he's someone who can't adapt to a tougher league than Belgium and can't perform in a league with higher pace, stronger defenders, better standards. But he's also only 22. This is the point at which all but the phenomenons of the game are going to start really getting to their best, maybe he can improve to do it at the top level?

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I may be wrong but doesn’t Emery like to build up players who have struggled previously, I’d say a yr under his tutelage would be better than a loan out at his age

Players usuallt that have performed elsewhere and failed with big moves

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Some would say that Thierry Henry flopped at Juve and he did alright in the Prem.

I was trying to think of some examples of players who have made their name as a wonderkid in lower level leagues > flopped when exposed to a higher standard > then been a success when exposed to an even tougher league. 

Thierry Henry is a good one - any others?

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I was trying to think of some examples of players who have made their name as a wonderkid in lower level leagues > flopped when exposed to a higher standard > then been a success when exposed to an even tougher league. 

Thierry Henry is a good one - any others?

Serie A was a tougher league back then than the Premier League

• Like 1

Â