Charles De Ketelaere

Wes

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I was trying to think of some examples of players who have made their name as a wonderkid in lower level leagues > flopped when exposed to a higher standard > then been a success when exposed to an even tougher league. 

Thierry Henry is a good one - any others?

I think Serie A was a lot stronger than the Premier League back then so he wasnt going to a tougher league really.

Either way one season for AC Milan at the age of 21 is nowhere near enough time to be able to judge a player.

Many on here wrote off Luiz when he was around the same age.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I was trying to think of some examples of players who have made their name as a wonderkid in lower level leagues > flopped when exposed to a higher standard > then been a success when exposed to an even tougher league. 

Bergkamp flopped at Inter, the only thing with him and Henry though was that Serie A was the stronger league at that time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Not quite the same, but Mitrovic?  Did well in Serbia, went to Anderlecht, was brilliant... basically failed at Newcastle before re-igniting his career at Fulham.  Little bit of yo-yo between Premier League and Championship too, I guess.

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Not quite the same, but Mitrovic?  Did well in Serbia, went to Anderlecht, was brilliant... basically failed at Newcastle before re-igniting his career at Fulham.  Little bit of yo-yo between Premier League and Championship too, I guess.

I would really like this to happen. Is it a risk? Yes it is. However he has a big ceiling and I just get the feeling it would really click for him with us under Emery and he would shine. The Europa Conference league could be a great way to bed him in

5 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

I would really like this to happen. Is it a risk? Yes it is. However he has a big ceiling and I just get the feeling it would really click for him with us under Emery and he would shine. The Europa Conference league could be a great way to bed him in

Yeah, there's something that definitely smells right about this link. Good price, huge ceiling and we've got the guy to get the best out of him. 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Serie A was a lot stronger than the Premier League back then so he wasnt going to a tougher league really.

Either way one season for AC Milan at the age of 21 is nowhere near enough time to be able to judge a player.

Many on here wrote off Luiz when he was around the same age.

Spot on. Laughable to write him off.

Look at our own Jordan Veretout.

Was touted as a prospect in France, couldn't make it happen for us, but has gone one to be one of the better (not top tier, but probably the level below) players in Europe in recent years. Regular starter at Fiorentina, Roma, and Marseille isn't exactly a joke.

Perhaps this time it will be the other way around and we'll get the better end of the deal (if, indeed, we are interested).

• Like 3

De Ketelaere's underlying stats on FbRef don't read too badly, his touches, passing, take-ons are all respectable.

His workrate appears decent as his ratings for Tackles, Blocks, Clearances and Aerial Duels all seem pretty good Vs other Attacking Mids/Wingers.

His attacking output reads as a bit of a shambles. But the season before he had 20 goal contributions at Brugge. Maybe it's that he can't handle a top 5 League, or maybe it's that AC Milan didn't play to his strengths, or maybe he was a 21yo given just one season to acclimatise.

But honestly (and I appreciate I haven't seen him play), those stats "Does-the-basics-but-no-output" reads like what my opinion of what Jacob Ramsey was 18 months ago.

Absolutely OK with CdK at £20-25m given his high rating previously and Unai and Monchis history at taking misfits and getting a real tune out of them. Of CdK rotates with Ramsey (and replaces him until he's back), then that is a potentially great bit of business for the price.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying he plays like JJ just that the deficiencies and basics look to read similarly. My understanding of CdK is he should really have a better output than JJ as he's supposed to be a more creative player like a #10 to JJ's #8

Edited by HalfTimePost

Never a bad thing to have a beanpole in your team either. 

The persistent links to Felix could be a smokescreen from the club too to show AC Milan "don't keep messing us about on the price, we've got other options"

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

From the clips I've seen, he reminds me a bit of Javier Pastore.

It may just be because he's in an AC Milan kit, but from the clips I saw, a tall attacking midfielder, strong enough to hold off opponents, with good vision, and quick feet, I was thinking more Kaka, which may be what interested Milan in the first place. Obviously, nowhere near the same level, just that sort of languid no-effort glide across the pitch kind of style. Also, Kaka had a burst of pace when needed, which is part of what made him so dangerous, from what I've seen De Ketelaere needs to work on his first 10 yards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Milan fans seem happy with news, they are even taking the piss out of the fee

Not all of them, I've seen a few saying they'd rather keep him and play him as a trequartista rather than let him go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Serie A was a tougher league back then than the Premier League

Technically was a much better standard, not so physical but yeah, for Henry and Bergkamp they were moving to a league where they were technically much better than almost anyone else.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we going to replace one Belgian donkey for a new younger upgraded model? 🤣 

Joke btw. I like these young signings. Always a punt but Unai can work on them. 

You are to Dendonker, what Delphino is to Buendia/Bailey ... lol

• Haha 1

Â