Charles De Ketelaere

Wes

If we buy him we should loan him out immediately, he will struggle to cope in Premier League and was anonymous most weeks at Milan. Needs to bulk up and get his confidence back

Yeah this signing would feel more like a project than a instant improvement to the starting 11. Nothing wrong with that as long as the money is right. He was a huge talent not long ago.

Edited by sne

His stats in Belgium were unreal, something like 14 goals and 9 assists or something so there is talent there.

He’d be a good option to have in a 433 alongside Luiz and Kamara pushing forward similar to Odegaard.

I think he just needs the right environment to get his confidence back. He is slightly built though so needs to hit the gym a bit.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we buy him we should loan him out immediately, he will struggle to cope in Premier League and was anonymous most weeks at Milan. Needs to bulk up and get his confidence back

Seen the De Bruyne comment on the last page, a mate here said something very similar in a chat just now. He said if he moves to the UK he could explode like Bergkamp going from Inter to Arsenal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, burchy said:

His stats in Belgium were unreal, something like 14 goals and 9 assists or something so there is talent there.

He’d be a good option to have in a 433 alongside Luiz and Kamara pushing forward similar to Odegaard.

I think he just needs the right environment to get his confidence back. He is slightly built though so needs to hit the gym a bit.

Could be the Ramsey role, in which case he is slight but a massive talent, I coudl see him as a 10 though, or inverted right sided playing where Bailey does for us.

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Seen the De Bruyne comment on the last page, a mate here said something very similar in a chat just now. He said if he moves to the UK he could explode like Bergkamp going from Inter to Arsenal.

He could but De Bruyne went to Germany twice to gain experience. CDK needs a similar loan, Bergkamp was already a big name when he left Inter. Played for Ajax and Netherlands

I seen nothing at Milan from him, decent dribbler but everything else was off. His passing was weak and as said he looked a lost child

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Looking at De Bruyne, Odegaards and De Ketelears stat maps they all look very similar in shape, just at different stages of career. That alone should point to the fact that he’d be a decent addition, albeit to develop here. 

If we’re after a playmaker though I’d like us to also look at Cherki but it would appear Chelsea are eyeing him at present. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has been at most dreadful for Milan, he looks like a child plucked out of a crowd to play a senior game.

Unless has an intense summer gym routine he will be eaten alive in the Premier League

He certainly wasn't good, but he wasn't Wesley bad.

40 apps in all comps so they kept giving him chances.

Milan should be thanking their lucky stars someone is coming along to let them off. I'm hoping we went in around the €15m mark like PSV.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He could but De Bruyne went to Germany twice to gain experience. CDK needs a similar loan, Bergkamp was already a big name when he left Inter. Played for Ajax and Netherlands

I seen nothing at Milan from him, decent dribbler but everything else was off. His passing was weak and as said he looked a lost child

Some of that might be down to Pioli, the lost child bit, I reckon there's a real player in there and Milan would be daft to sell.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Some of that might be down to Pioli, the lost child bit, I reckon there's a real player in there and Milan would be daft to sell.

I think is a talent there but think needed another year at home or to move to a weaker league

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He certainly wasn't good, but he wasn't Wesley bad.

40 apps in all comps so they kept giving him chances.

Milan should be thanking their lucky stars someone is coming along to let them off. I'm hoping we went in around the €15m mark like PSV.

1 assist in 40 games(not all starts) playing for the reigning champions is quite poor. Would be expecting Nakamba to do that over a season

He has talent but nowhere near Premier League quality yet. 2 years at PSV would do him the world of good

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From the limited looking I have done - it does seem to be that a decent chunk of Milan fans think that a lot of the problem was that he was being played out of position and / or without a whole lot of idea of what he was being asked to do.  Which pretty much goes (to some extent or another) for Luiz, McGinn and Tielemans within recent history.  (I'd even say that Bailey often looked like he wasn't quite sure what his role was supposed to be at times - but in the run-in it looked like he was more prepared to try and drive into the box and then lay the ball back to Ramsey or another midfielder rather than trying to take everyone on to create a chance for himself.) 

I don't think anyone would doubt that pretty much THE main reason why Emery was able to turn around our form so quickly last season was that players suddenly knew where they were supposed to be playing, what their role was in / out of possession and what they should be expecting from their team-mates.  Based on that I am less worried about signing players that appear to have had a shocking season (especially if they have been good in the past) especially if it becomes clear that their role has changed.  If we are then putting them back into their "proper" position and looking to utilise their strengths then all the better.  I was indifferent to Tielemans when we signed him based on his "form" over the last 18 months - then as I saw more stats on last season it became clear that his form wasn't as bad as might have been suggested and then it became even more clear that he'd been asked to play as a 6 rather than an 8.  We've first hand experience of seeing the improvements in Luiz and McGinn once they were playing more familiar / better defined roles under Emery - even when Kamara was out and Luiz was back playing more of a 6 role but with better support from those around him.  So suddenly a hungry Tielemans playing as an 8 looks a very different signing.

Emery won't be signing players and then trying to figure out where / how to play them - which is probably my criticism of our recent "big" transfers - we've signed good players but then neither Smith nor SG quite knew where or how to fit them into the team.  Even Emery doesn't quite seem to know quite where / how to play Buendia or Bailey to get the best out of them.  Which is part of the reason why I am keen to keep hold of both - as part of me feels that maybe if we strengthen our attacking options (and I don't mean replacing Ollie - but giving him more support) then actually either Buendia or Bailey might just "click" and suddenly find that there is more time / space / support / whatever that allows them to do more of the stuff that they are good at, which in turn will make it more likely that they don't feel like they need to jump straight to the Hollywood option.  It worked with McGinn.  I used to dread it every time McGinn pulled his foot back to try one of his **** drifty cross-field passes (which invariably either went straight out of play or straight to the opposition fullback) or one of his Hollywood throughballs to Ollie that had a somewhere south of 1% chance of coming off.  Now under Emery he seems to have more time on the ball, more options to lay the ball off if nothing looks on and consequently he came up with one or two sensational assists (or key passes) that were actually also pretty risk free.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Despite my De Bruyne comparison on the previous page, I agree with you on this. A loan to a top Dutch or big-ish German team would be ideal, if we signed him.

If not, at least we have the right people in place to help build him up domestically. It's just a case of game-time then, which is currently the issue at Milan with him getting a few minutes here and there.

If we are signing him it's to play now, we won't be spending 30m and loaning him out. I haven't seen enough of him, personally would prefer someone with pace and composure, but I'd trust Emery if he feels he can make an impact, similarly to Asensio, he's not the quickest either so it looks like we're favouring technical ability.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

If we are signing him it's to play now, we won't be spending 30m and loaning him out. I haven't seen enough of him, personally would prefer someone with pace and composure, but I'd trust Emery if he feels he can make an impact, similarly to Asensio, he's not the quickest either so it looks like we're favouring technical ability.

Tielemans, Torres and De Ketelaere are three very good positive passers of a football. Is there a pattern emerging?

Edited by villabromsgrove
spelling

Â