Threads Microblogging from Meta

Seat68

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I tried Mastodon but it was so insanely complicated to sign up and figure out how to use it I just gave up

I honestly don't get this. It's easy. Like, really easy. Like exactly as easy as any other social media service. Just sign up to mastodon.social and you're away. You can sign up to any other server if you want (I did) but it doesn't really matter that much.

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Useless while it doesn't offer a feed that only shows those you follow. Currently you just get nonstop rubbish fired at you based on... something algorithm something. 

Yeah, this would be the dealbreaker for me. I want to see posts from people I follow, in chronological order. Twitter does this, Instagram doesn't. I have an instagram account, but never use it, precisely for this reason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I honestly don't get this. It's easy. Like, really easy. Like exactly as easy as any other social media service. Just sign up to mastodon.social and you're away. You can sign up to any other server if you want (I did) but it doesn't really matter that much.

Well I couldn’t figure it out. The different server thing confused me and then I couldn’t be bothered

51 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Half a billion users?

Wow. Bigger than Twitter? I think they'd be satisfied with a bit less than that. 

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Facebook must be pinching themselves. Another avenue to mine saleable data. 

Yeah no info on how it may be governed better. Guess it'll be another place to share some online hate!

I think Facebook is a bit closer to home than Twitter. Most people are connected to their families, colleagues, neighbours, friends and use their real names and details. They will probably think twice before behaving like a massive prick for fear of people they know seeing it.

Could be a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I think Facebook is a bit closer to home than Twitter. Most people are connected to their families, colleagues, neighbours, friends and use their real names and details. They will probably think twice before behaving like a massive prick for fear of people they know seeing it.

Could be a good thing.

To suggest anonymity weaponises people is **** stupid dick face. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow. Bigger than Twitter? I think they'd be satisfied with a bit less than that. 

Oh I have no idea how many users Twitter has.  Was just a random guess, doesn’t Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook have like 3 billion users each?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Musk apparently threatening to sue Meta for appropriation of trade secrets or somesuch bollocks

Yep, that lawsuit won’t cost Twitter at all…

It's about as likely to come to fruition as the invitation to a match in the Octagon. 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm interested, but I'm not interested in having it linked to my Instagram.

My twitter usage and my instagram usage couldn't be further from each other. I don't want them combined at all

cock pics? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I couldn’t figure it out. The different server thing confused me and then I couldn’t be bothered

Once someone explains the concept to you, it's straightforward, but yeah, it's another barrier to entry.

I spent a little bit of time reading, how basically you pick a "home" server, but you can still read content from other servers, but part of your handle is the first server you picked, and at any point that server can just go away and delete your account even if the rest of Mastadon remains up...And then I picked one, registered, figured out how to see content from elsewhere, saw something like "view the 12 posts about politics today" and decided not to bother anymore.

On Mastadon, and on whatever the Fediverse equivalent to Reddit is, it seems the only content with any significant numbers is how right on people are using this new platform instead of the place everyone else is. Technically they might work ok, and people can right a dissertation on how free their data is, but if it's slightly harder to use, it's hard to see it gaining the critical mass of content.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm interested, but I'm not interested in having it linked to my Instagram.

My twitter usage and my instagram usage couldn't be further from each other. I don't want them combined at all

Same. My insta is full of scantily clad women and my Twitter is full of football. Different uses - I never use instagram around the wife… 😂

Ive had a dabble with Threads and seems clean and ok - assume as it grows it’ll get better. Need more football on there and less tits mind. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Anyone been using this a lot? 

Is it a Twitter killer? 100m sign ups apparently before it's even available in The EU 

Seems like quite a few have been making the switch. If they can roll out the missing features and sort their EU privacy issues I could see Twitter going the way of ‘Truth Social’.

• Thanks 1

Â