Threads Microblogging from Meta

Seat68

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Anyone been using this a lot? 

Is it a Twitter killer? 100m sign ups apparently before it's even available in The EU 

It's a long long way off being a twitter killer. Most people have just signed up to see what's what.

Until you can search for posts and get just a feed of your followers it's effectively useless imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's a long long way off being a twitter killer. Most people have just signed up to see what's what.

Until you can search for posts and get just a feed of your followers it's effectively useless imo.

It seems like a really, really poor decision to launch in this state. With meta's userbase, maybe they can get away with it, but first impressions are often everything. I wonder how many opened it, saw what you saw, and will never bother again.

The hardest thing about launching a social network site is surely getting people invested enough to create and consume content, not just getting past the registration process, and it seems to me so far that they've completely fluffed their lines.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

It seems like a really, really poor decision to launch in this state. With meta's userbase, maybe they can get away with it, but first impressions are often everything. I wonder how many opened it, saw what you saw, and will never bother again.

The hardest thing about launching a social network site is surely getting people invested enough to create and consume content, not just getting past the registration process, and it seems to me so far that they've completely fluffed their lines.

Agreed. I've not looked back other than to see if they've added the missing features yet.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

It doesn't even have a desktop app/website. Pretty confident this won't get near Twitter.

Fairly sure I’ve seen figures that 85-90% of Twitter usage is via a mobile phone

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Fairly sure I’ve seen figures that 85-90% of Twitter usage is via a mobile phone

Yeh I might be in the minority for sure, I mainly use it on desktop.

I would prefer an alternative to Twitter given the amount of nonsense and spam on there these days, plus that new "For you" tab is annoying, but I use Twitter mostly for information and don't want anything like that tied to my Instagram account.

• 1 month later...

It seems they've megga **** up on this doesn't it? 

Apparently they've brought in much more of the functionality people wanted, but it's too late. The furore has died down, people immediately tried it and didn't like it and probably won't go back. 

What a bunch of idiots and what a massive missed opportunity.  If they had done that same launch with the actual proper functionality, they'd have probably seen a mass switch over. 

You wonder what goes through these people's heads sometimes.. Even very clever people.

Edited by sidcow

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It seems they've megga **** up on this doesn't it? 

Apparently they've brought in much more of the functionality people wanted, but it's too late. The furore has died down, people immediately tried it and didn't like it and probably won't go back. 

What a bunch of idiots and what a massive missed opportunity.  If they had done that same launch with the actual proper functionality, they'd have probably seen a mass switch over. 

You wonder what goes through these people's heads sometimes.. Even very clever people.

Meh, they did a "following" feed and hid it away to such an extent that I didn't even realise it was there.

And you *still* can't search for posts. Absolutely crazy.

Â