Threads Microblogging from Meta

Seat68

Today saw the launch of the new app that Meta is hoping will drive users from Twitter to their arms. I signed up and on the whole it is a direct rip off of Twitter, but with an instagram type discovery feed. 

Lots of bonhomie on it at the start, its very early days but non of the anti trans, brexit anger, and right wing politics that made me give up twitter.

On sign up it asks you if you want to follow your instagram followers and you can pick and choose based on that as well as add people that have accounts that are on Threads and not on Instagram.

It is as I say very early and I am unsure if it will hold its audience, but one thing is true, Musk should definitely worry.

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Useless while it doesn't offer a feed that only shows those you follow. Currently you just get nonstop rubbish fired at you based on... something algorithm something. 

Indeed, which is irritating for me, it hasnt figured out my interest yet and served up people that I might be interested in.

I'm interested, but I'm not interested in having it linked to my Instagram.

My twitter usage and my instagram usage couldn't be further from each other. I don't want them combined at all

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm interested, but I'm not interested in having it linked to my Instagram.

My twitter usage and my instagram usage couldn't be further from each other. I don't want them combined at all

That would be my take as well, what's the difference between the two if you are just going to link them up.

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm going to stick to Mastodon for the time being, and occasionally go back to Twitter for those that haven't got Mastodon accounts.

I tried Mastodon but it was so insanely complicated to sign up and figure out how to use it I just gave up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

That would be my take as well, what's the difference between the two if you are just going to link them up.

I'd link them if you could have a different profile name and picture etc on Threads. But it doesn't appear that you can.

I guess you have to create a new instagram account to link to Threads. Which is a faff

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd link them if you could have a different profile name and picture etc on Threads. But it doesn't appear that you can.

I guess you have to create a new instagram account to link to Threads. Which is a faff

You are correct, there is a requirement to have an instagram account, I suspect that it also drives people to instagram, but could potentially be a deal breaker for some. I have an instagram account but its my dog and grandchild, rarely used, it might be completely different to me calling Laurence Fox a word removed and saying hey everyone look at my cockapoo. 

I've tried to find non app/account access to it to see if i can view stuff but so far I've just got links to the 80's Nuclear War movie or some kind of Microsoft Teams rival. 

Has Musk banned the word "Threads" from Twitter yet? 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've tried to find non app/account access to it to see if i can view stuff but so far I've just got links to the 80's Nuclear War movie or some kind of Microsoft Teams rival. 

Has Musk banned the word "Threads" from Twitter yet? 

You should be able to view peoples feeds directly, this for example, I dont follow him but I know he is on threads so this should take you to Chris Moyles Threads account, which you should be able to see

https://www.threads.net/@chrismoylesofficial

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You are correct, there is a requirement to have an instagram account, I suspect that it also drives people to instagram, but could potentially be a deal breaker for some. I have an instagram account but its my dog and grandchild, rarely used, it might be completely different to me calling Laurence Fox a word removed and saying hey everyone look at my cockapoo. 

Exactly the same as me. I tweet about football and FPL. I don't want that geeky shit associated with my really cool instagram account (pictures of my son and occasional holiday)

Won't be bothering. Facebook (for all its many, many faults) and WhatsApp cover everything I need. Frankly never seen much point in Twitter and Instagram - I have accounts on both, but have no real use for them. 

I use Twitter for the breaking stories only. Maybe it’s football or some other world news. I can’t be arsed with “browsing” it to see what famous (and nonfamous) people’s musings are.

The fact that it’s a bit wild west and slow to react to unregulate content is the major plus point of it. 

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly the same as me. I tweet about football and FPL. I don't want that geeky shit associated with my really cool instagram account (pictures of my son and occasional holiday)

I read something that you can set different access profiles for each one. Not that I understand it, but the gist seemed to be to keep things separate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

That would be double the size of Twitter.

Well it would be double the size of the number of accounts on Twitter, that isn’t quite the same thing though. Twitter allow you multiple accounts, and Twitter at this stage also has a lot of redundant accounts

Â