Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Listening to MOMS podcast…

the crest hasn’t received FA approval… they haven’t passed the second Villa crest…

Club haven’t adhered to the rules (in terms of fan engagement), hasn’t been approved…

If true... Oops.

8 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

If true... Oops.

It’s a strange one, this whole saga.  I absolutely detest the trademarked version and yet the Bosko’s boot fellow’s version with the claret overlay on the lion suddenly transforms it into something I could get behind.

So I wonder where that leaves the kit then.

People here were totally adamant it would be too late to change ahead of next season as Adidas would need the badge a month ago in order to manufacture the kits.

If it's not been approved, and the above is true, then what happens now?

Would be nice to see some confirmation on this FA decision elsewhere. But it appears to be a proper cock up for our 150 year celebration and explains why we haven’t had the big unveil yet. The silence is deafening and a statement is really needed from Heck on where we go from here.

41 minutes ago, maltesemike said:

Would be nice to see some confirmation on this FA decision elsewhere. But it appears to be a proper cock up for our 150 year celebration and explains why we haven’t had the big unveil yet. The silence is deafening and a statement is really needed from Heck on where we go from here.

That or a p45. What a shocking indictment. Appointed in May and has overseen a really shambolic presentation of Aston Villa's brand.

16 hours ago, Jas10 said:

the crest hasn’t received FA approval… they haven’t passed the second Villa crest…

Club haven’t adhered to the rules (in terms of fan engagement), hasn’t been approved…

I’m surprised I’ve not seen more about this. I’ve only just heard about it on the Moms podcast and then I looked for this thread. I’m not sure any of the Villa journos have picked it up. 

The only outcomes I can really see are we stick with the avfc badge or the round. I don’t think they’ll do yet another consultation and (crap) design process. Maybe they will.

14 hours ago, maltesemike said:

Hopefully for him to leave and us to repair the last 12 months of cock-ups?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It's a good job we hired a man who's speciality is re-brands as CEO. What a shambles.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's a good job we hired a man who's speciality is re-brands as CEO. What a shambles.

Rebrands that don't involve the FA's rules. This is a new world for him. Yet to be seen is he can handle it. 

I bought a couple of those signs, a Trinity road and Holte one. One has old badge on it the other the new. When next to each other the new sign looks like one of the best badges we’ve ever had. I get why it has to change but I’ve really grown to it. Would be happy if we kept it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I bought a couple of those signs, a Trinity road and Holte one. One has old badge on it the other the new. When next to each other the new sign looks like one of the best badges we’ve ever had. I get why it has to change but I’ve really grown to it. Would be happy if we kept it.

I said similar here about a t shirt my partner bought me at Christmas.  The round badge is a beauty.

Edit it could have been tarted up if Heck absolutely felt it necessary 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

On 29/01/2024 at 18:35, ejs1111 said:

The star/badge location issue is another reason why I've been enamored with the AVFC round badge.  The answer to me is so simple.  Just put the star in the round ring of the badge at the bottom, which leaves space for future stars should they come.  Put the 18 and 74 on either side of the ring (at 9oclock and 3oclock).  Then have Aston Villa arching across the top.  Sort out the colors, face the lion however the fans want, make the lion a bit detailed...  job done.

I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier post from Capt Town.  The circle badge should have been the starting point- then just make improvements from it (like what I listed above).  We will never have a unanimous opinion regarding the badge, but the round badge was something like 75% voted on- so it was overwhelmingly agreed upon by fans.  Just very disappointed that we have not started at this point and made revisions, instead we scrapped it.

This 75% thing is beginning to annoy me in the same way that people bang on about 52% of people wanting Brexit.  Firstly it isn't 75% of everyone connected with Villa.  Secondly most people (and I appreciate that the working group were presented with more options) could only vote between two options.  Neither of which were particularly great.  So being better than something that wasn't that great isn't necessarily the "win" that it is made out.  If you have people the chance to cut of their right testicle or their left testicle then 75% of people voting to cut of their right testicle doesn't mean that it is a good choice.  Maybe we shouldn't be chopping off either testicle - maybe we should be removing both?  Thirdly just because people voted for something doesn't mean that there aren't other factors that should have been taken into consideration before / during the process.  The "proposals" put forward for Brexit ignored a whole heap of (quite important) issues that experts explained would cause problems - concerns that were ignored because they were dismissed as "project fear" on one side and poorly / badly communicated by the other - ever since the government has lurched from one compromise / **** up to another and some people have found out implications that they didn't realise would / might impact them - because it turns out the experts were right and those issues needed to at least be better considered from the start.  There have been plenty of experts both on this forum and elsewhere who have highlighted that a round badge has limitations in terms of creating an identifiable brand.  If that is valid then we can't just keep ignoring it.  IF the new badge fails to deliver the basis for an easily identifiable brand then we need to take that into consideration and recognise that that was something that should have been considered / explained more clearly the first time around.  That doesn't mean that we should have voted in / out or that we should necessarily have entirely ruled out a round badge.

I'm not saying the process around the second iteration is right / good at all.  But my point is that IF what "we" voted on is flawed and fails to deliver against its purpose then it doesn't matter how many people liked it or voted for it.  I say IF because I don't think we've really had enough of an open discourse from the club / experts (unless that has happened within the smaller group) about whether it is round badges in general that are problematic or the fact that a lot of the design elements are too similar - Luton's badge for example is round but looks more individual.  The process for launching the second revision wasn't good - I agree entirely with that - but that isn't the same as just saying that we should have started from the round badge.

It kind of feels like first time we tried too hard to do something that was popular and ignored other important factors / stakeholders.  Whereas second time we've tried to come up with a unique brand and ignored the fans (or at least to date - not involved them enough).  I think we've got the approach wrong both times.  I don't think we gave enough time to detail the constraints under which the badge had to work first time and we've not gained enough feedback from fans the second.  Consequently, it feels like we have missed two opportunities to come up with something that meets the needs of all stakeholders and looks brilliant at the same time.

(I appreciate that these views might be coloured by the fact that - whilst there are elements of the new round badge that I quite like and many elements of the Lerner badge that I don't - overall I feel disappointed that the new round badge was just not unique enough.  I also appreciate that maybe more of this did happen in the smaller working groups - although I struggle to then understand how last year's version delivers against the "unique" test.  I also appreciate that being "unique" isn't the only consideration - I'm not suggesting we do something completely random just to be different.  But I do think we could have come up with something that properly reflected our history, the fundamental components of our "image" (lion, name, founding year), felt "modern" and looked distinctly and recognisably Villa whether that be on the shirt, on the stadium, on digital media or in colour / monochrome whatever).

16 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

This has been dragging on for far too long. Someone, please say something. What an absolute shambles.

image.jpeg.b8c6647b31cba0b59840e81b3a415

• Haha 1

For goodness sake, Villa, just say you're keeping the round badge and be done with it. It's far from great, but we need to settle on one and get on with being a modern, stable football club. Thanks 

• Like 3

Just now, est1874 said:

For goodness sake, Villa, just say you're keeping the round badge and be done with it. It's far from great, but we need to settle on one and get on with being a modern, stable football club. Thanks 

😉

giphy.gif

The round badge has grown on me to a degree—I prefer it to the blue and yellow of the Lerner era, but we just can't keep it when it looks like Chelsea's. It's silly.

Â