Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

On 24/01/2024 at 23:09, allani said:

Why wouldn't they?  I mean if the feasibility study came back and said that everyone loved it - then surely they wouldn't want to risk another entity from trying to register it, or something very similar, first which could then cause them a whole load of pain / money to redress? 

I also assume that any trademark protects against anything that closely resembles the design protected rather than just exact matches - i.e. you can't get round a trademark by just adding a small detail and claiming it as your "design", surely, you'd have to demonstrate enough design divergence to "prove" that you've not nicked someone else's idea and just made a slight tweak.  I think there have been lots of cases where big firms have been able to sue companies that have effectively copied their "brand" because it has been ruled that there were insufficient differences in the design and it could lead to confusion with consumers.  If that is the case then it would seem (to me) that you would want the trademarked image to be fairly unclear and "imprecise" as it reduces the number of elements that someone can change subtly to knock off a "fake" version?

Happy to be corrected on any of this by someone who has more knowledge of the process / legal protection of trademarks.

Because there's a timescale required to produce new kits with badges on, and we're well into that. That podcast the other day with that Tanswell fella, he said he's already seen the kits with the badge on. The trademarked badges are what they intend to use. It's not that gold, engraved mock up, it's the shit slightly modified Lerner nonsense. If they had anything else in mind, it would have to be trademarked by now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Risso said:

Because there's a timescale required to produce new kits with badges on, and we're well into that. That podcast the other day with that Tanswell fella, he said he's already seen the kits with the badge on. The trademarked badges are what they intend to use. It's not that gold, engraved mock up, it's the shit slightly modified Lerner nonsense. If they had anything else in mind, it would have to be trademarked by now.

I agree with this, but is it possible they've made the rest of the shirt but commissioned a replacement badge (whether it be rubber, a patch or whatever), and they'll attach those to the shirts that have been produced instead?

Leeds released their horrible unpopular badge on January 24th 2018, cancelled it 6 days later and managed to get the old badge on the kits for the following season. I'm hoping we can do the same with the more 3D lion. 

19 hours ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

That furry lion won't scale down well and it will absorb lots of sweat too.

Perhaps, perhaps... but now I'm thinking we should go full Roman aquilifer and just have every  player in a full lion skin with the paws tied around the shoulders casually like a snazzy Pringle sweater 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Given we are so good with having two badges this season, can we just have Heck’s badge already on the shirt and add a second proper badge next to it.  Maybe put a third badge on, maybe the circle badge.  The shirt could be like the cubs/scout jumpers I wore as a kid with all the badges on. 😜

or to confuse everyone further - no badge at all.

• Haha 2

This is very radical

But inspired by the "no badge at all" comment

What if Adidas just did claret & blue shirts with the text "ASTON VILLA" over one side, and no crest, until this whole debacle is sorted once and for all.

They'd sell like hot cakes! I'd buy two!

Edited by est1874

Not sure if this has been posted, but linked is some brand development Dragon Rouge agency did for Southampton. They were the same agency that developed the round "Purslow" badge. Quite like what they did for Southampton and makes me feel that they were really hamstrung by a very rigid brief from the Villa management.  

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Not sure if this has been posted, by here is some brand development Dragon Rouge agency did for Southampton. They were the same agency that developed the round "Purslow" badge. Quite like what they did for Southampton and makes me feel that they were really hamstrung by a very rigid brief from the Villa management.  

Actually not that impressed by that compared with some of their other work.

But their other work definitely does show they were immensely limited in their flexibility by us. Shame really that we'll now throw it all way 😞

14 hours ago, est1874 said:

This is very radical

But inspired by the "no badge at all" comment

What if Adidas just did claret & blue shirts with the text "ASTON VILLA" over one side, and no crest, until this whole debacle is sorted once and for all.

They'd sell like hot cakes! I'd buy two!

Perfect time for them to do a freestanding lion. Removes a lot of the issues with the crest.

14 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but linked is some brand development Dragon Rouge agency did for Southampton. They were the same agency that developed the round "Purslow" badge. Quite like what they did for Southampton and makes me feel that they were really hamstrung by a very rigid brief from the Villa management.  

Or the real truth is the fans and the survey results were the real reason but yeah why let that get in the way as you have an obvious agenda… 

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Perfect time for them to do a freestanding lion. Removes a lot of the issues with the crest.

No it doesn't. The biggest issue with the crest (the one we've had for 15+ years now) is the lack of Aston Villa. A freestanding lion doesn't solve that. It doesn't solve anything in fact, it's just a freestanding lion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Or the real truth is the fans and the survey results were the real reason but yeah why let that get in the way as you have an obvious agenda… 

The club were pioneering the new rules set by the FA in items of cultural heritage - that was a big part of the whole thing, the desire to set a standard in the way these things were done and to leave a path that other clubs could follow in changes like this in the future - an ethos fundamental to what Villa are, the desire for us to be the 'gold standard' club.

I think the work they did for us was better than the Southampton stuff - it's a shame that the club consigned so much of it to the bin before it was launched.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

There’s a near 200 page thread on a fan forum about brand identity. There is no consensus on what people like, only that they hate things. 
I believe I see a reason for a rigid brief to designers. 

(I get your point but this is all madness)

• Thanks 1

I think the 2022 proces was well handled. We got out unscathed with a fresh new look.

The problem has been the way they scrapped that outcome altogether rather than maybe refining it/sprucing it up in 2023.

Here we are in 2024 now and we have a confusing brand and strong indicators the new, new abdge will be based on the old unpopular one. Not ideal now is it?

But of course they keep telling me Heck is amazing and we are lucky to have him.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think the 2022 proces was well handled. We got out unscathed with a fresh new look.

The problem has been the way they scrapped that outcome altogether rather than maybe refining it/sprucing it up in 2023.

Here we are in 2024 now and we have a confusing brand and strong indactors the new, new abdge will be based on the old unpopular one. Not ideal now is it?

But of course they keep telling me Heck is amazing and we are lucky to have him.

Not everyone was happy with the outcome of the 2022 process. Was it better than this latest effort, yes, but barely IMO. I think the whole thing from the very beginning, under Purslow, has been a shambles. Nobody gets off lightly from this stuff, it's been diabolically executed.

• Like 1

Â