Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The work will have begun on mass production of the new kits already. There will almost certainly be 'proof' examples already made, the designs will have been known about for a while before that even, particularly so since Adidas will have an established template for the coming season for multiple months now, they'll just have knocked out a few versions on claret and blue.

It's not a shock that some people with media and club connections might have got a quick look at a phot of a proof, or so on.

Proofs aren't final.

eat, sleep, badge, repeat !!!!!

the rampant lion on the current round badge is facing the wrong way.

It only ever faced to the right when we were founded in 1874 up to 1886. Ever since then it's faced to the left. So for 12 years out of 150 its faced left. Keep it facing left, everybody, but everybody has only ever known it that way. 

I'm not over keen on the leaked shield version, but i for one am happy for the round one to be sacked off.

Keep the shield version, theres been some beautiful ones posted on here. I just wish they'd sack the star off as well, it's small time as is the constant singing ''we even conquered Europe in 1982''

Christ, it was over 40 years ago, celebrate it when it's an anniversary and never forget it but don't get stuck in the past about it like we are. Most of our fans weren't even born when we won it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa89 said:

At this stage the club should be pressing the reset button and aborting this new badge launch for 12 months. Keep the current setup, round crest and Lerner badge everywhere else and try again next season with a proper process. Proceeding with the clipart crest at this point would be insanity. 

Terrible idea, prolong the mess. With new Adidas kit we need the new long term crest. 

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

eat, sleep, badge, repeat !!!!!

the rampant lion on the current round badge is facing the wrong way.

It only ever faced to the right when we were founded in 1874 up to 1886. Ever since then it's faced to the left. So for 12 years out of 150 its faced left. Keep it facing left, everybody, but everybody has only ever known it that way. 

I'm not over keen on the leaked shield version, but i for one am happy for the round one to be sacked off.

Keep the shield version, theres been some beautiful ones posted on here. I just wish they'd sack the star off as well, it's small time as is the constant singing ''we even conquered Europe in 1982''

Christ, it was over 40 years ago, celebrate it when it's an anniversary and never forget it but don't get stuck in the past about it like we are. Most of our fans weren't even born when we won it. 

Yeah agree with you on this. Left Facing lion, Star for European Cup, Aston Villa on badge and Shield shaped crest. Just better looking one than the leaked version

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Proofs aren't final.

True.

But realistically they aren't changing them.

They'll front out the rebrand and that's that. There's not been enough clamour, a wide enough furore, a big enough embarrassment to roll back the rebrand and throw all the wheels that are turning into reverse and start over. So it'll be fronted out and let to blow over.

Heck isn't going to back down on it, and if he did he's basically signed a resignation letter because this is a tentpole part of his job here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah it doesn't look great, should have been 2/3 options of Shield and feedback received

I personally would have preferred 6 or 7 or even more initial "options" (some of which might not even be designed to look like a badge).  That way you're more likely to hit on the elements that work well and people can say - I like the colour contrasts on this one, the lion image on this one, the wording on this one, etc.  That way I think you get better quality feedback rather than the results being skewed because fans like an element that appears on only 1 design and then that being used as evidence that it was the fans' choice.  It's a bit like the government giving you two shitty possible policies, forcing you to choose between just those two and then announcing that they have a mandate from the people to implement one of the shitty policies.

Back at the start of the prem with the laces kit was the first time in my life we had a shield i thought it was a nod to the past one season only. The away kit had the round badge.

So why could we not have both like that again?

Shield on Home, Round on Away.  Everyone is happy!

Still have to sort out a decent shield mind you 😜 

Edited by S-Platt

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Fiver says we wind up with "Gaslamp" from last year but with Lerner's lion

I do think that the gaslamp was an interesting idea - just a shame that it was clearly only ever meant to be an "alternative" and that the designers didn't spend as much time on it as the round one.

First of let me be clear we need all the fans we can get.

But it will be strange...

Fans watching corners through their phones.

Chinese guys in half and half scarfs

Villa Talk will be full of African guys getting angry about the strangest things.

Kids in Manchester asking there Dads to buy Villa Kits.

Those same Villa Kits on sale in JD sports

The changes will be endless because if Spurs can go where they have gone, there is no doubt in my mind if Villa get it right (by that i mean win things regularly because Spurs haven't even done that and they are massive!) we can do similar....

Edited by MarkLillis

1 hour ago, david-avfc said:

For anyone who wasn’t around in the 1980’s they will have no first hand connection of that badge at all. It’s been over 30 years without the circle badge so that’s a lot of fans who have only known the shield shape, to say the round badge is villa and anyone who associates the shield badge as villa is wrong, is a wrong thing to say.

Personally I don’t really care about the shape of the badge. The shape of the badge doesn’t define the club, despite the obsession some have with the circle badge. If we have a great round badge then great, if we have a great shield badge then great. The problem is the current circle badge looks like a cheap knock off of the old badge and not everyone wants that (although some do), it also doesn’t look original and it’s similarities have been understandably compared to other club’s badges. Unfortunately the old Lerner badge is a poor design and the proposed new badge doesn’t solve those issues (but based on the fan mock ups it easily could do) - they’ve missed on open goal not changing the colours from yellow & blue to claret & blue. A bad design is a bad design regardless of shape, the quality of the badge is more important than whether it’s round or shield-shaped.

I was replying to someone suggesting that the shield was villa and anyone else was wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Fiver says we wind up with "Gaslamp" from last year but with Lerner's lion

I'd say there's approximately a 0% chance of that, so I'll take you up on that and bump this when you can donate the fiver to Acorns :D 

• Thanks 1

I think any changes that get made at this stage would be from the start of the 2025-26 season. We will have copyrighted this badge in order to begin production.

Changes from the start of the 2025-26 season would be a disaster - we can't keep having new badges every season - it makes us look like a disorganised mess.

Like it or not, this is our badge and it should be for the next few years at the very least - you might think it's an ugly step child, but it's ours and I think we best make a fist of trying to love it.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think any changes that get made at this stage would be from the start of the 2025-26 season. We will have copyrighted this badge in order to begin production.

Changes from the start of the 2025-26 season would be a disaster - we can't keep having new badges every season - it makes us look like a disorganised mess.

Like it or not, this is our badge and it should be for the next few years at the very least - you might think it's an ugly step child, but it's ours and I think we best make a fist of trying to love it.

Shan't.

It's not ours at all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

spacer.png

It's not about the 1982 win for me, or the league in 81, it's about what it looks like.

You are very welcome 

Aston-Villa-1981-Away-Shirt-123661261.jpg

• Haha 2

Â