Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Crudely and quickly changed this on my phone, how about a properly done version?

Think the colour scheme works.

Looks clear zoomed out or from a distance (smaller) too.

spacer.png

A more detailed lion, a darker shade of blue and a more interesting font and that's a winner, IMO. It's charmingly simple.

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

A more detailed lion, a darker shade of blue and a more interesting font and that's a winner, IMO. It's charmingly simple.

Tbh, I don’t think much is looking better than a standalone lion design. It just looks the smartest or most classy way to do it. So much else looks overly/unnecessarily “busy”…

But… “the club” seem very keen on a shield design and “incorporating our history” so we may need to be open to it…

To go even further… I don’t even think our previous/current “long term” badge was all that bad of a design. The main problem was the yellow lion on light blue background (washed out, especially from a distance, poor combination of colours).

Imo, the colour scheme was more of a problem than the actual design…

I’m a big fan of that lion design (iconic, instantly recognisable and unique, classy)… the badge just needed refining. It looks great in different forms.

I just think “the key” is having a gold lion on a claret background rather than blue. And we could have Aston Villa rather than AVFC.

Tweaking the design would minimise costs and alterations too as the badge is used all around the training ground and stadium of course. I wish they would change those big silver declawed and defanged lion motifs to the modern one though…

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It looks better without the colours…

-

A round badge would look best with this colour scheme, it at least looks different to all the other clubs’ too.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I think “simple” is the key…

for our badge to really standout and be iconic.

Too much detail and fuss is only going to dilute or take away from that.

Just, for me, that lion instantly says “ASTON VILLA”. The words aren’t even required.

That lion has no relation to anything else, it’s obvious that’s what it is and I think it’s all we need tbh.

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's a bit Torino or Arsenal (the latter re the shape of the crest).  But better than the Lerner design or the club's weird gaslight option last year. 

There were some of these kicking about when we were due to change back in 2007. The quality of those made Lerner's Pro Evolution/ Microsoft Paint effort look even more lame. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Tbh, I don’t think much is looking better than a standalone lion design. It just looks the smartest or most classy way to do it. So much else looks overly/unnecessarily “busy”…

But… “the club” seem very keen on a shield design and “incorporating our history” so we may need to be open to it…

To go even further… I don’t even think our previous/current “long term” badge was all that bad of a design. The main problem was the yellow lion on light blue background (washed out, especially from a distance, poor combination of colours).

Imo, the colour scheme was more of a problem than the actual design…

I’m a big fan of that lion design (iconic, instantly recognisable and unique, classy)… the badge just needed refining. It looks great in different forms.

I just think “the key” is having a gold lion on a claret background rather than blue. And we could have Aston Villa rather than AVFC.

Tweaking the design would minimise costs and alterations too as the badge is used all around the training ground and stadium of course. I wish they would change those big silver declawed and defanged lion motifs to the modern one though…

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It looks better without the colours…

-

A round badge would look best with this colour scheme, it at least looks different to all the other clubs’ too.

spacer.png

I think our revamped Lerner badge is the best we’ve had in a while tbh. I’m getting the feeling the new badge is going to be pretty similar. 

11 hours ago, Risso said:

Whatever they do, I hope they get rid of the star. It looks shite.

Yep. I don’t mind it on there in some form, but just floating around like a balloon being swatted by the lion looks so weird

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I Just, for me, that lion instantly says “ASTON VILLA”. The words aren’t even required.

That lion has no relation to anything else, it’s obvious that’s what it is and I think it’s all we need tbh.

It might say "Aston Villa" to you but unfortunately it's just a lion for the majority of the World's population.

We need a stronger brand that then allows for the lion to be unleashed with our name and become recognisable globally.

• Like 3

Looks like this is going to be used for the anniversary season.

Design by committee is never a good idea, look at all the designs for the badge on this thread there is no design that everyone likes !

I have had a link to the survey, but not done it yet.

What do we want the badge to "say"?, if we want the club to appeal to a more global audience then just a lion and 1874 says nothing to a potential fan in Asia. I think it has to have the words Aston Villa somewhere on the badge as a minimum doesn't it?

Tin hat firmly on........

Should never go to the fans.

Just get a design agency that has a Villa fan involved on the project or something. They’re the people who know what to do.

Some of the decisions being made at the club at the moment seem needlessly problematic. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It might say "Aston Villa" to you but unfortunately it's just a lion for the majority of the World's population.

We need a stronger brand that then allows for the lion to be unleashed with our name and become recognisable globally.

In fairness, Tottenham is just a cockerel and a retro ball, but we would recognise it imo.

I get your point though.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, Tottenham is just a cockerel and a retro ball, but we would recognise it imo.

I get your point though.

More often than not, Spurs have their name as part of the badge.

IMG_0251.png.f3d29715252cde63e986e3eb5b8d8497.png

There are versions without it, but I think if they wanted to break America, the name is going to be visible.

Wolves don’t have their name on the badge to be fair. Don’t know if there are versions of their current incarnation which do have their name on it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Should never go to the fans.

Just get a design agency that has a Villa fan involved on the project or something. They’re the people who know what to do.

Some of the decisions being made at the club at the moment seem needlessly problematic. 

Im starting to think this way to be honest

I would have been ok with current badge thwy chose if was facing right way and lion was yellow

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think “simple” is the key…

for our badge to really standout and be iconic.

Too much detail and fuss is only going to dilute or take away from that.

Just, for me, that lion instantly says “ASTON VILLA”. The words aren’t even required.

I see what you mean by simple, and I don't disagree with that, but I think we need more than just a Lion.

I just scanned the PL and football league crests and (arguably, some are a bit wonky) 13 teams had a Lion included in some capacity. Of course there are nuances about how they are displayed, but my point is that when someone says 'that team, you know the one with the cockerel standing on a ball', you think Tottenham, because... well, unique. When someone says 'that team with the Lion', they are not going to necessarily think of us. In fact they are, according to most of the sources I've just googled, more likely to think of Chelsea. We'd know, obviously, but the crest is supposed to be a symbol that encapsulates us, and projects our singular image. 

No one else has the golden arches. Let's be unique. And not shit, obviously. 

• Like 1

On mine at the end I said main thing was 'Aston Villa' need to stay,. If we were to return to a shield I liked the one from the 90's (just 'cuz that's my era) and if we were to go with a circle, that there'd be no solid circle but the wording to be around the lion in the shape of a circle. I've seen a few version where the wording is shaped in a circle instead of a solid shape and I thought it looked great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, floody555 said:

On mine at the end I said main thing was 'Aston Villa' need to stay,

I did note with despair that the options were Aston Villa, Aston Villa FC, and AVFC, and if they make the same amateur blunder that the team behind the Lerner badge did I'm going to lose my shit

More realistically the results of this survey may as well be filed directly into the bin because it seems they know what they want, and this is a complete waste of everyone's time

• Haha 1

Think the lion needs to be gold.

Frustrated they're trying to construct it by fan survey again. Just get a top design agency to come up with a few different designs. Some will be naff but it's very hard to come up with a genuinely good piece of visual design if you're working to a checklist.

But honestly the best idea is just a rampant lion without a shield or circle or anything. Or that diamond idea from a few pages back.

• Like 1

Â