Aston Villa Captain

Jas10

Next season’s captain   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be appointed our long term captain next season?

• McGinn
    • Martinez
    • Mings
    • New signing

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/23 at 11:15

Firstly, why does it have to be a long term captain? 
Secondly, I’d hope we wouldn’t make a change. McGinn has warmed to the role, he has respect from his peers. No point upsetting the team again. 

I would say club captain which was Ashley Young last yr, may go to someone else, but then I could still see McGinn do it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Mings for me, leader on and off the pitch, model pro.

However I think it would be a brave move to take it off McGinn now.

McGinn has looked the part under Unai and should go from strength to strength but… I’d still really like Martinez to take that armband…

Not sure Mings will get a look in… even though he’s deserving…

No decision was made on this, Unai said he would review it when he was appointed. He will have to decide ahead of the new season…

Regardless, it’s great that we have such strong characters and positive personalities at the club who do a lot of work and project a positive image away from the pitch also…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There was absolutely no need to take it off Mings, but now that it's done, and McGinn has warmed to it, I don't see a need to snub him by removing it again.

Besides, Mings hasn't shrunk into himself. A leader doesn't need an armband. I'd expect him and Martinez to continue to step up as they have done even if McGinn remains captain.

Agreed and makes sense, we have a great “core” there… just a bit of fun and interested to gauge opinion. I’m intrigued to see what Unai’s plans are in every sense tbh, not just with transfers but how he wants to shape our team/squad and progress us. Such exciting times.

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There was absolutely no need to take it off Mings, but now that it's done, and McGinn has warmed to it, I don't see a need to snub him by removing it again.

Besides, Mings hasn't shrunk into himself. A leader doesn't need an armband. I'd expect him and Martinez to continue to step up as they have done even if McGinn remains captain.

Absolutely where I’m at. Taking it off Mings was nuts, but the way Captain Meatball has stepped up under Emery, he might as well keep it now. 

I don’t think it would be right to remove it from McGinn to give it back to Mings. Continue as we are with McGinn with the armband, but Mings will always lead anyway. McGinn has grown into it and showing great form since Emery came in. No need to change it again in my opinion.

It has to be said that Mings has been a better player once the role got taken off his plate,  where Mcginn seems to have done the opposite.

Id keep Meatball there as not to rock the boat again needlessly. 

Mings could take the club captain thingy off young.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

John McGinn deserves to be team captain. He leads by example as he gives 100% every match. His commitment can be inspirational to his team mates this coming season.

Tyrone Mings should be made Club captain as that position has just been vacated by Ashley Young. He has the respect of our players and is a genuinely caring and likeable person.

This sums it up perfectly.

Â