Aston Villa Captain

Jas10

Next season’s captain   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be appointed our long term captain next season?

• McGinn
    • Martinez
    • Mings
    • New signing

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/23 at 11:15

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow the difference a year makes. I still remember the meltdown when McGinn got appointed the role. 

Ahem… the difference an Unai makes…

Just worth noting, as obvious as it is, that McGinn was never appointed captain by Unai. He just left things as they were to review, as he stated. He may well continue with John in that role but there’s a chance his decision may be different.

This is the “Unai season” now, he’s in control. Last season was about managing what he inherited but now he’s going to implement everything he wants…

8 months I was a massive critic of McGinn as captain, but as it came to pass he and the rest of the team were under extreme duress.

Since Unai has become the shepherd to our flock, SJM has grown into the role and there is no reason to change. 

Ming's is and always will be a natural leader but I actually think that McGinn will be less affected by the pressure moving forward. 

Let me Mings be Mings.

Gerrard made a ridiculous public spectacle over the whole Captain thing. It really was unnecessary. Unai would deal with it all a lot more privately I’m sure.  But pretty sure he will keep McGinn as captain anyway. He leads by example. 

I had no issue with McGinn being made captain. Just hated the way it was all handled. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

37 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

John McGinn deserves to be team captain. He leads by example as he gives 100% every match. His commitment can be inspirational to his team mates this coming season.

Tyrone Mings should be made Club captain as that position has just been vacated by Ashley Young. He has the respect of our players and is a genuinely caring and likeable person.

This^

Mings should never have lost it in the first place, but now that he has, and they're both performing out their skin with their respective roles, I see zero reason to change it again.

Giving mings the club captain role will be a good way to wrap the mistakes of the past up for good 

I don’t really care who it is out of Mcginn, Mings or even Martinez. It’s a positive that we have at least three strong contenders that nearly everyone would rally behind.

Hopefully the transfer business adds more intelligent strong leaders who can help to continue the impressive improvement in mental discipline that we’ve seen since Emery arrived. 

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that the issue over the captaincy ordeal was just that - Gerrard made a commotion out of it in an entirely unnecessary manner. Removing it from Mings in such a public way + the later quotes about him left a sour taste and then brought needless heat on McGinn in the process by extension. It was the handling of it as opposed to the literal choice of captain, which in this day and age isn't of huge significance anymore. I don't care who has the title but I don't see much reason in now taking it back from McGinn.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. The captaincy shouldn't have been taken off Mings in the first place, but McGinn has made the role his own, and it would feel wrong to take it off him now. for me, Mings is the only choice for club captain.

We are not only blessed with a decent core of on pitch leaders which includes Emi M, but also the future looks bright with some potential leaders of the future, particularly Ezri, JJ, and possibly Doug. 

The future is looking bright.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The totle of captain iant really that important these days tbh

I agree.

But you said no question you'd change it. I disagree. Just leave McGinn now with the on field performances at a great level.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree.

But you said no question you'd change it. I disagree. Just leave McGinn now with the on field performances at a great level.

Just feel that it was taken off mings with no logical explanation from gerrard just to make a example of him

Hence why even though i don't feel its not that important mings is the captain

Â