F: Newcastle USA: Mon July 24 00:00

ender4

Enjoyable game, obvious rustiness with over hit passes etc but essentially picked up where we left off. Newcastle were a couple of games ahead of us as a group and I worried about Tonali and feared it might tell, but we were competitive and good value with much more to come.

The big pluses was Buendia coming out fighting and showing determination with a much improved performance, and the youngsters taking their chances and more than holding their own with sparkling performances, it’s a shame Archer didn’t get more of a chance but hopefully that will come as Watkins looked sharp a ready for the season.

Despite some differing of opinion, thought Cash was decent in the main, and also Kamara showed glimpses of his slick interplay but hopefully gets up to speed over these games.

Lots more to come from this group, but would suggest we do need more options up front - Diaby and Bailey will help, but we already look as accomplished as anything I’ve seen this summer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think their goal was offside and VAR would have picked it up. Our high line will be targeted this season for sure

only saw the highlights and the first 100% was offside. high line did its job

other observations, olsen is still pants. kamara caught out again...he's class but it's not the first time it's happened

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think their goal was offside and VAR would have picked it up. Our high line will be targeted this season for sure

Yeah it was offside cant do much with that with no var.

But year you can see ita goibg to be alot of controversial VAR decisions this year

We could get thumped a few times playing this as we did to liverpool a few years back when we exposed them when they played like this

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah it was offside cant do much with that with no var.

But year you can see ita goibg to be alot of controversial VAR decisions this year

We could get thumped a few times playing this as we did to liverpool a few years back when we exposed them when they played like this

I was thinking this exact thing. I understand the benefits, especially as we'll press better this season too. Timing will go wrong in a few games and we'll concede a lot of chances and goals as a result

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Just a couple OK action photos I managed to snap tonight ... Here comes Dougie's corner (I think)!

IMG_0553.jpeg

What on earth is Ollie looking at?  He's facing a completely different direction to everyone else.  Hard to tell from the shot whether this is a good thing or not!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That’s what I thought too. However, we should have been about 4 goals up by then which would have made it matter less.

Some of our forward play was a joy to behold,  the defense splitting passes, spectacular. Beundia playing  like a cross between  Agüero and Tevez. 

Sort the mistakes in defense out and we will be top 4 material, ahead of Newcastle that's for sure. Considering this is our second friendly game and we're well on target to stuff the Geordies in that first game UTV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It was definitely onside. Isak pulled away to not get involved as he knew he was offside, Anderson who took the touch and scored was onside as the midfield runner.

• Like 1

Â