F: Newcastle USA: Mon July 24 00:00

ender4

1 minute ago, tinker said:

It's losing possession cheaply that's leading to the through balls, once we have minimised that then we need to stop the quick transition. Top 4 teams have a tendancy to obstruct or foul the opposition before they have chance to play that ball and  stop that ball over or through. When we are playing balls that have a strong chance of being cut out we need to close down the ball quicker.

The benefits of the high press from us far outweigh the downsides and that shows from our defensive record under Emery, it just needs patience and some small tweaks. 

Yep.

Much of the issues/points are without the ball.....He will work on this, but its hard to be intense when the temp is 83.

It was a game where the positives were great and the negatives, were there to be worked on.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

His constant fouling was a joke.....He just plays the man, most of the time and they get away with it.

The problem is, they get back in to games, doing it.

Agreed TRO, there were three nasty tackles for which he may have been booked for any one of them in the PL. I thought the ref (who was pretty good on the whole) , was was aware it was a "friendly" and was trying to let things flow. I though he was finally booked for the reaction to the the foul being given as much as the actual challenge.

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the game. An entertaining affair. Some of our passing was very slick. 

We have a good programme of games to continue the build up to the new season, with opportunities for Unai to look at the youngsters, the new-comers and the form of the old starting XI

Worryingly I am starting to feel we are in the best shape for many a year. Never a good position for superstitious Villa supporters.😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, allani said:

What on earth is Ollie looking at?  He's facing a completely different direction to everyone else.  Hard to tell from the shot whether this is a good thing or not!

Looks like he's  looking over his shoulder towards the ball, but maybe wants to be facing the goal in case 9f any rebounds/knock downs would be my guess

16 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Looks like he's  looking over his shoulder towards the ball, but maybe wants to be facing the goal in case 9f any rebounds/knock downs would be my guess

He was probably given the job of standing in front of the keeper and getting in his way.

• Like 1

Amazing how fans from different teams see how the game was played, Newcastle fans saying they were by far the better team 🤔 I did watch all the game, was very impressed with our start, first 20 minutes they hadn't a clue how to handle us bit like the league game at Villa park last season, could of & should of been 3-0 before they got there 1st, they came into it 2nd part of 1st half probs fair result going into 2nd half 2-2. & as much as they had alot of the ball 2nd & we had for a good 30 minutes 6 under 21's players playing & a new centre back partnership in Torres & Carlos I don't think they troubled us to much so in fairness 3-3 was a fair result & a good game, Newcastle fans are also going along the lines of how they didn't want to give anything away from how they would play 1st game of the new season against us, that's why they were poor to start with 🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Yep.

Much of the issues/points are without the ball.....He will work on this, but its hard to be intense when the temp is 83.

It was a game where the positives were great and the negatives, were there to be worked on.

Only going to be worse on Wednesday. 91 in Orlando!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Amazing how fans from different teams see how the game was played, Newcastle fans saying they were by far the better team 🤔 I did watch all the game, was very impressed with our start, first 20 minutes they hadn't a clue how to handle us bit like the league game at Villa park last season, could of & should of been 3-0 before they got there 1st, they came into it 2nd part of 1st half probs fair result going into 2nd half 2-2. & as much as they had alot of the ball 2nd & we had for a good 30 minutes 6 under 21's players playing & a new centre back partnership in Torres & Carlos I don't think they troubled us to much so in fairness 3-3 was a fair result & a good game, Newcastle fans are also going along the lines of how they didn't want to give anything away from how they would play 1st game of the new season against us, that's why they were poor to start with 🤔

This is a total BS excuse. Even the local Newcastle press are peddling "Villa at full strength, Eddie going with experimental side" narrative.

Its a pre-season friendly, both teams changing things around. I really wouldnt have been too fussed if we had conceded another in the second half and ended up losing given who was playing and what little was at stake. I had seen enough to be encouraged, and I would think NUFC should have been the same. 

• Like 3

we looked in a far better position than they are and far far more comfortable on the ball , even when we had the 17 year old kids on and with Doug spending the entire game showboating 

shows the difference between an elite manager and someone like Eddie Howe , who granted exceeded expectation with Newcastle last season  but doesn't look capable of taking them to the promised land 

Game note: In the parking lot, vehicles with Pennsylvania plates were the minority. Many if not most of the people who came to Philadelphia for this match -- would be interesting to see the data if it were published somewhere -- came from the whole Mid-Atlantic and New England regions. I parked next to someone from Vermont, the upper reaches of which are about the distance between London and Edinburgh. I saw mostly cars from New York, New Jersey, Maryland, lots of Massachusetts, and also Delaware. Many ex-pats, too, patiently explaining to their partners the offsides rule.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This is a total BS excuse. Even the local Newcastle press are peddling "Villa at full strength, Eddie going with experimental side" narrative.

Its a pre-season friendly, both teams changing things around. I really wouldnt have been too fussed if we had conceded another in the second half and ended up losing given who was playing and what little was at stake. I had seen enough to be encouraged, and I would think NUFC should have been the same. 

Yes, complete rubbish. Started with Isak (transferred for £70m or something?) and the amazing and pesky Almirón, who is such a handful. They were playing to win. 

Well I think Eddie Howe is baffled how to stop us scoring, we smashed them at Villa park & could of been 6, Eddie Howe knows how we play & he set up last night to try & stop it & guess what 2-0 up after 10 minutes & all 3 of our goals last night were all very similar, all breaking there press & all good goals, they scored 3 goals 1 Kamara got caught out on the ball & other 2 were the offside trap, 1st goal he was onside but what got me was Cash watched Anderson run past him but tried stepping out, he should of followed him & would of got to him with his pace, the 3rd looked onside again but that was a backline that hadn't played together before, so that can be worked on along wish Cash learning abit more, Mings * Konsa play it perfectly. So my point is that I'm pretty sure Eddie How is more worried about us qst game of season than we are them, he just can't seem to stop us from playing our style & scoring.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was probably given the job of standing in front of the keeper and getting in his way.

Possibly - although if so you would have thought that he would have been looking at the keeper.

4 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It might just be the angle (or my old eyes playing up) but it looks like he's looking for towards the D rather than where the ball appears to be (based on where everyone else was looking).

Not that it really matters - it just looked like one of those weird "Spot the ball" competitions where most of the players seem to suggest the ball is in one place and then 1 or 2 players have either reacted quicker or been distracted by a stray dog and so you don't know whether to gamble your last "x" in a completely different part of the picture.

Also as an aside (and I have to admit that I have only seen the 5 minute highlights of the match) but it did look like Ollie was taking up better positions in the box - i.e. between the two defenders rather than being blocked by one or the other so that he was in a better position to react to rebounds.  It will be interesting to see whether that impression is accurate and if so whether that transpires through the season and sees him getting a few more tap ins.  It's one of those things that has frustrated me with Ollie in the past - that his positioning in the box isn't as instinctive as (dare I say) an out-and-out predator and so he almost gets on the end of rebounds / deflections / etc whereas other strikers seem to find the ball deflecting straight to them.  It will be interesting to see whether that is something that the coaching team have been working with Ollie on.  If so hopefully that's another reason to be optimistic that he'll grab a few more goals this season.

• Like 1

My hapeth worth.

Villa broke Newcastle's defence for our three goals (especially the first two)
The goals we shipped were more on us than Newcastle.
Philogene had a really good outing ... happy to take on defenders. The third goal was his assist really.
Beundia had an excellent game ... detractors please note
The second half was OK a little disjointed ... tough to read too much into it. The youngsters did OK
Pau and Carlos (to me) looked a little bit out of it ... not too surprising. I think they would be OK with the first team around them.

edit ... Olsen not as bad as some make out

Just some rando thoughts.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 3

Is there a diplomatic way of putting this? I don't want to be accused of lookism. Seeing all the Newcastle supporters and all the Villa supporters together in one place in America, you start to form little impressions. Let me just put it this way: I think we comes across better. Is that OK to say that?

• Haha 1

Olsen will be our number two, cry all you want.

Carlos won't be starting many games. Reckless player, needs to calm down. In PL that's two pens he causes.

Kellyman a real joy to watch.

Â