F: Newcastle USA: Mon July 24 00:00

ender4

14 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Day 21 into his Newcatle career, and Tonali has yet to crack a smile. He has thought, been allowed out of John McGinn's back pocket.

I like to call him “Toe Nail” in my head, and I encourage you all to do the same

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Didn't stay up to watch it, and the highlights I've seen don't show much. Happy to see both teams fielding some young lads, sounds like there was plenty of intensity, which is what you'd expect given the managers. Sounds like Elliot Anderson played well, which is great. 20yrs old and has been highly rated since he was a child, hoping Howe is the manager that will take his game onto the next level. Surprised to see Barnes make an appearance. Did Diaby get any minutes?

Exciting times for Newcastle and Villa fans; good football, European adventures to come, good managers, good transfer business, disrupting the 'Top 6'. Weird that we were both relegated just 7 years ago. Since then, both endured Steve Bruce for a couple of seasons, both had a takeover, both seem to be heading in the right direction now. 

Not sure how well Newcastle will cope with European competition, as we don't have a particularly deep squad. But honestly, everyone I've spoken to isn't really bothered about going deep in the CL, and most don't expect us to replicate a top 4 finish this time. I'd personally be happy with top half, not embarrassing ourselves in the CL, and another good cup run. 

I think we can call it a defensively rusty game for both sets of defenders. You should have enough to beat Chelsea in thr next game. Brighton were far better than them in the first game til they went down to ten men, especially when Mitoma was on the pitch, then that heat got to them.

I saw enough in us when pretty much the side that played most games under the Don to be happy and positive.

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

I think we can call it a defensively rusty game for both sets of defenders. You should have enough to beat Chelsea in thr next game. Brighton were far better than them in the first game til they went down to ten men, especially when Mitoma was on the pitch, then that heat got to them.

I saw enough in us when pretty much the side that played most games under the Don to be happy and positive.

Aye, I don't know why Howe was playing around with the formation, maybe trying something out, maybe just giving some players more game time, but from what I've heard we didn't have the same understanding we saw last season. Once both teams get a somewhat settled side I'm sure Howe and Emery's teams won't be giving up 3 goals a piece in many games. 

What's the hopes/expectations from you lot for this season? 

Just watched the highlights and Villa look so different to previous preseason friendlies. Those incisive, attacking patterns of play that were developed last season are still there and even semi-fit we looked a threat. It’s only a friendly but it bodes well and makes me confident that we’ll be as good as we were last season, and maybe better. 

• Like 2

Just seen that Newcastle have played a game more preseason. No wonder they looked fitter. Howe's miracle diet and supplement plan he's brought from Bournemouth aside, of course 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Aye, I don't know why Howe was playing around with the formation, maybe trying something out, maybe just giving some players more game time, but from what I've heard we didn't have the same understanding we saw last season. Once both teams get a somewhat settled side I'm sure Howe and Emery's teams won't be giving up 3 goals a piece in many games. 

I'd be happy with Europa League qualification, but would really like to push for top 5, as that will get us in the champions league under the new UEFA format. 

9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

The tournament has really showed leaky defences all round. The said the heat causing dry pitches mixed with the humidity is causing really bouncy pitches which it seems aren't helping defences.

Our expectations are probably similar, look to improve, Europe again, confident in the ECL due to the man in the dugout and his European experience. Most would kill for an FA cup win.

25 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Exciting times for Newcastle and Villa fans; good football, European adventures to come, good managers, good transfer business, disrupting the 'Top 6'. Weird that we were both relegated just 7 years ago. Since then, both endured Steve Bruce for a couple of seasons, both had a takeover, both seem to be heading in the right direction now. 

Our two clubs seem to be mirroring each other at the moment. If you look at our form under Emery it is pretty much identical to when Howe took over the Toon. Squads are very similar in terms of quality and we are both looking to upset the Sky 6. Eventually you will probably end up pulling away due to the PIF but, for the next few seasons, we will be neck and neck, rivalling each other in the league and cups. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think their goal was offside and VAR would have picked it up. Our high line will be targeted this season for sure

Its my real concern....I thought we lost the ball in possession a few (too many) times, too.

However, the overall play was good.....and Emi B looks like he has been working out....He looked Great.His passing was sublime.

25 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Our two clubs seem to be mirroring each other at the moment. If you look at our form under Emery it is pretty much identical to when Howe took over the Toon. Squads are very similar in terms of quality and we are both looking to upset the Sky 6. Eventually you will probably end up pulling away due to the PIF but, for the next few seasons, we will be neck and neck, rivalling each other in the league and cups. 

I hope so, even if it's just expanding the 'Top 6' to a 'Top 8'. Just make the league less predictable, y'know?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its my real concern....I thought we lost the ball in possession a few (too many) times, too.

However, the overall play was good.....and Emi B looks like he has been working out....He looked Great.His passing was sublime.

MOTD pundits constantly spoke about our high line last season and how it would be rumbled. 

No one did despite the genius of Danny Murphy and others constantly reminding high quality tactically ruthless opposition managers. 

• Like 1

I thought in terms of technical ability we was the better side.....However, they got back in it with physicality. Their answer to us was the long ball and aggressive runners, I would be more concerned if I was a Newcastle fan.

I still think we can lose valuable territory with aerial knock ons in midfield, we need to be wary of that.

Kellyman, looks a gem and Philogene looks promising....a better touch from Ollie and we would have won.

It was good to see the manager saying, they got around the back of our defence too easily, and we will work on that.

Good first real work out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

MOTD pundits constantly spoke about our high line last season and how it would be rumbled. 

No one did despite the genius of Danny Murphy and others constantly reminding high quality tactically ruthless opposition managers. 

The problem is, all our hard work and eloquent passing is washed away in a flash......Its simply, too easy to score against.

Their tactics are not much of a shade different to Burnley under Dyche....so basic, but sadly, effective.

I perfectly understand the benefits of playing it.....but we must find a solution to stopping it.

Liverpool and Man U opened us up last season with the long ball.

We have to stop it at source or get our heads on the ball, after delivery....We are doing neither.

Its almost like a free hit.

I trust UE to sort it...thats what these games are for.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Joelinton seem to have real anger issues ever since Newcastle put their team on roids.

His constant fouling was a joke.....He just plays the man, most of the time and they get away with it.

The problem is, they get back in to games, doing it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem is, all our hard work and eloquent passing is washed away in a flash......Its simply, too easy to score against.

I perfectly understand the benefits of playing it.....but we must find a solution to it.

Liverpool and Man U opened us up last season with the long ball.

We have to stop it at source or get our heads on the ball, after delivery....We are doing neither.

Its almost like a free hit.

I trust UE to sort it...thats what these games are for.

It's losing possession cheaply that's leading to the through balls, once we have minimised that then we need to stop the quick transition. Top 4 teams have a tendancy to obstruct or foul the opposition before they have chance to play that ball and  stop that ball over or through. When we are playing balls that have a strong chance of being cut out we need to close down the ball quicker.

The benefits of the high press from us far outweigh the downsides and that shows from our defensive record under Emery, it just needs patience and some small tweaks. 

• Like 1

Â