F: Newcastle USA: Mon July 24 00:00

ender4

19 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Any VTers going to be in Philly? I see @USA_Villa. The section designated for Villa supporters is sold out. I'm going to be right next to it. Good seats! Eighth row!

spacer.png

I shall be there. No clue where the seats are as my fiancé was the one to purchase them. Hopefully not in the Newcastle section 😂

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I shall be there. No clue where the seats are as my fiancé was the one to purchase them. Hopefully not in the Newcastle section 😂

Enjoy! This is terribly exciting. I know it's pre-season, but I have a hunch it's going to be an intense match. And I tell you, if there's one place in the USA where there could be supporter tension, you know it's Philly. Where I live, we call it the city of brotherly shove.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Enjoy! This is terribly exciting. I know it's pre-season, but I have a hunch it's going to be an intense match. And I tell you, if there's one place in the USA where there could be supporter tension, you know it's Philly. Where I live, we call it the city of brotherly shove.

I have the same feeling. I can see it getting a bit scrappy which should provide some good entertainment, assuming no one gets hurt. Do we know if there any “activites” set up, pregame bars/meet up areas?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I have the same feeling. I can see it getting a bit scrappy which should provide some good entertainment, assuming no one gets hurt. Do we know if there any “activites” set up, pregame bars/meet up areas?

Not AFAIK. I tend to avoid that sort of thing as I don’t drink, but if I see/hear anything I will post here! 

Question: Is it weird to bring a Villa scarf in 31 C degrees?

• Haha 1

On 20/07/2023 at 20:28, Marka Ragnos said:

Any VTers going to be in Philly? I see @USA_Villa. The section designated for Villa supporters is sold out. I'm going to be right next to it. Good seats! Eighth row!

spacer.png

Why are they advertising to Wile E. Coyote there? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not AFAIK. I tend to avoid that sort of thing as I don’t drink, but if I see/hear anything I will post here! 

Nah I say bring it, as long as you don’t mind the sweating, lol.

• Like 1

It's nice this seems to be an officially sanctioned premier league preseason tournament and we've been chosen to represent. 

With regards to comment about intensity I disagree. The much lauded 'they just need a pre season' isn't a panacea, and definitely isn't playing a load of crap teams in 2nd gear. We've had the easy game run out, now we need to actually start to work.

I'm glad they've started to advertise this as the 23rd now - I realise that midnight on Sunday night means the game is played in the early hours of Monday, but I have thought this was happening on Monday night not tomorrow for a while.

Anyways, for those who were as confused as me, this starts at midnight on Sunday 23rd and plays in the early hours of Monday.

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyways, for those who were as confused as me, this starts at midnight on Sunday 23rd and plays in the early hours of Monday.

Nope. As per the thread title, it starts at 00:00 on Monday. That can't be mistaken by people who bizarrely think that midnight is the end of the day. You'll be trying to suggest that 1am is part of the previous day next, just because you are still in the pub.

:trollface:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

Nope. As per the thread title, it starts at 00:00 on Monday. That can't be mistaken by people who bizarrely think that midnight is the end of the day. You'll be trying to suggest that 1am is part of the previous day next, just because you are still in the pub.

Well, whilst 00:00 is part of Monday in the convention of the 24 hour clock, midnight is generally associated with the day it ends.

Grammatically, midnight is correctly used to describe both the end of one day or the beginning of the next, but it's almost exclusively used to talk about the end of a day.

For example, if you were out with friends for a meal and one of you suggested going to a bar afterwards and he said "What time does the bar close?" and you answered "Midnight" you'd be baffled if he said "Ah, that's a shame, I thought it would be open tonight."

By normal convention, this game kicks off at midnight on Sunday the 23rd or 00:00 on Monday the 24th.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

For example, if you were out with friends for a meal and one of you suggested going to a bar afterwards and he said "What time does the bar close?" and you answered "Midnight" you'd be baffled if he said "Ah, that's a shame, I thought it would be open tonight."

But when I answer "midnight", it's shorthand for "midnight tomorrow" or "when the time is midnight", it doesn't imply "today".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You could always tie it around your wrist, that's what we did in the 70s. :D

• Like 1

The game should be listed as being on the 23rd because that's the date in the location where it's being played.  End of discussion.  Translation to local date/time in parentheses.  Simples.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

The game should be listed as being on the 23rd because that's the date in the location where it's being played.  End of discussion.  Translation to local date/time in parentheses.  Simples.

Good plan. I was having to power up the timeflux capacitor to figure out how to get back to the future for kickoff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Man Utd were pretty needlessly aggressive against Arsenal. Losers.

I am concerned about Newcastle all the time as Howe's tactics have forever been foul at will.

In fairness, I think that's down to the individuals at United - tactically or managerial I don't think we'll have a problem - I think the team understand these are friendlies, and the clubs do too - you can't stop an arshole arseholing though and I think that's what we got at the Man Utd game.

• Like 1

Â