F: Valencia a: Sat Aug 5 20:00

30 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

It was great watching us tonight. I know it was a friendly, but the Mestalla is a proper ground, Valencia a big club full of history. I remember big names being there: Mendieta, Lopez, Canizares, Ayala, Villa, Aimar. I get the feeling we are going to get used to us playing at some rich, historic stadiums across Europe over the next few years.

Just a massive shame their team has turned into Stoke City, bunch of thugs and cloggers.

Don’t forget the legend John Carew! It was his first club outside Norway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

Not the most exciting match but I think it was a very good test for us, certainly different to every other pre season match we faced. It was very niggly and not many chances to be had.. exactly the type of match we could find ourselves in during our European campaign at some point this season. And although it wasn't pretty we generally looked in control of the match and were clinical with our chances to win the match. Job done.

• Like 4

Anyone willing to find a Valencia fan forum and translate their thoughts on our victory? Felt like we were having decisions and dirty play going against us, but kind of interested to see if they felt the same. 

Great showing given the number of matches played recently and temperature.

Whilst they're rarely a good indicator of league form,  it's been a good pre season and I don't expect Emery will let standards drop when it matters

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Anyone willing to find a Valencia fan forum and translate their thoughts on our victory? Felt like we were having decisions and dirty play going against us, but kind of interested to see if they felt the same. 

Great showing given the number of matches played recently and temperature.

Whilst they're rarely a good indicator of league form,  it's been a good pre season and I don't expect Emery will let standards drop when it matters

Random quotes from Valencia forum roughly translated. Despair is the main reaction. Reasonable amount of expected dismissiveness towards the Villa along with some real respect, too.

Very sad reflection of what there is with less than a week to go before the start of the League.

Not that it surprises us, but anyway, it makes it clear that those messages of supposed self-criticism at the end of last season were the umpteenth mockery of the fans.

The worst thing is that with 2-3 signings you can't fix this mess.

The thing looks fatal, as expected.

Today we have seen a lot of shortcomings against a really professional team. With what we have, it would be a miracle that we reached something in a Competition in which you have to be regular.

We looked like headless chickens running after the ball. 2 shits, 2 goals. A lot of heart and desire to run but without grounds we will do nothing... I hope I'm wrong but this smells bad. And it is Villa, not Barcelona, Atlético or Madrid...

We have a long way to go, the defense is still weak, they have arrived twice, two goals.
And above all we lack punching and goals, if they don't sign a striker and a winger with a goal, we're going to have a very bad time.
And experience we lack a lot of that too.
That without counting that Aston Villa is not a big deal either.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If the inbuilt negativity of Villatalk never gets beyond this for the 2023-4 season, I will be happy.

Probably a natural human thing, but I do think we sometimes lose sight of how bad many so many other clubs -- in fact, most -- have it compared to us. We're not as entitled as Manure fans. We really need to look hard to find major problems with our club. With many other clubs, there are huge issues with finance, owners, stadiums. We have it good!

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

Didn’t see the game but asked a mate who was there who said we were class. 

The biggest thing with Emery is you see we have a plan, no matter how the game goes you can see we have something tactically coached.

Also said Bailey was shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don’t like the design of our shirts this year, but I thought the fabric was supposed to be some kind of super fabric that wicked water away from the skin?

Strictly speaking, if the wet is on the outside then it's working.

In reality it looks to be wetting out really quickly and then clinging to the skin.

No fabric can stay dry in those conditions, but they don't have to be uncomfortable and look like shit too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nice. I'd almost forgotten about Doonesbury. 

Duke was like a Hunter S. Thompson character. 

Yes, he was definitely based Thompson.  Thompson used the name Raoul Duke for the narrator of a lot of his writing.

2 hours ago, Nicho said:

Didn’t see the game but asked a mate who was there who said we were class. 

The biggest thing with Emery is you see we have a plan, no matter how the game goes you can see we have something tactically coached.

Also said Bailey was shit.

I was at the game too....and we definitely were not class. We controlled the game for large parts of the match mainly due to the fact that they were poorer than we were. Kamara and Bailey were dreadful and could rightfully have been hooked after half an hour. We brightened up a fair bit in the second half, Buendia was excellent, JPB caused problems, Digne and Tielemans pretty decent too. Funnily enough, I didnt think the ref was over biased towards them - he gave us plenty of fouls whereby we hung onto the ball too long to invite a challenge, then we promptly fell over much to Valencia's ire.

A good day overall though, the Mestalla is an iconic old lady of a ground.........but those effing stairs up to the stand ! Something else indeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

I was at the game too....and we definitely were not class. We controlled the game for large parts of the match mainly due to the fact that they were poorer than we were. Kamara and Bailey were dreadful and could rightfully have been hooked after half an hour. We brightened up a fair bit in the second half, Buendia was excellent, JPB caused problems, Digne and Tielemans pretty decent too. Funnily enough, I didnt think the ref was over biased towards them - he gave us plenty of fouls whereby we hung onto the ball too long to invite a challenge, then we promptly fell over much to Valencia's ire.

A good day overall though, the Mestalla is an iconic old lady of a ground.........but those effing stairs up to the stand ! Something else indeed.

Funnily enough at 30 minutes I did wonder if Emery was the sort who would hook Bailey as he was so poor, but given it was a friendly the intention was to play yourself into some form.

It was interesting that we notably improved in the second half when we opened up a bit, I wished Diaby had played in that half.

It was a decent run out, one which tempered my expectation for this season, but very reassuring that we have scored so many goals this preseason.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Strictly speaking, if the wet is on the outside then it's working.

In reality it looks to be wetting out really quickly and then clinging to the skin.

No fabric can stay dry in those conditions, but they don't have to be uncomfortable and look like shit too. 

Even in the game against Lazio when it wasn’t particularly hot or humid they looked soaked… is that normal for the wicking material? Seems like maybe this material gets a bit shinier than normal when a bit wet so makes it look wetter?

Edited by alreadyexists

8 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

I was at the game too and am really surprised you say that about Kamara. I thought until he went off he was probably our best player! Made some excellent recoveries, always being in the right place at the right time and was comfortable in possession.

Bailey was awful and Pau wasn't much better. Looks very uncomfortable at left back. No surprise when it was those 2 making way at half time. Looked way better with Digne and Buendia.

Definitely werent class, but a well controlled performance. We had way more quality than them

• Like 1

Â