Biggest Villa "villain" in club history ...

Marka Ragnos

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't think Randy Lerner is capable of a "Reign of Terror." In fact, a bit of terror might have improved his leadership style. I guess it's possible for gross incompetence to rise to the level of dastardly villainy, but I just don't see enough intentionality in Lerner's reign. Apathetic, surely. Complacent, no doubt. Lackadaisical is the adjective that comes to my mind, and maybe that did reach a certain point where it just felt wilful and arrogant for you? He drove me crazy. But isn't it worth saying that owning a struggling-to-succeed Premier League football club is also really, really, really difficult? 

I'll be honest with you - I think he was vindictive at the end of his reign, after relegation with who he sold the club too - it showed a bit of nastiness imo. He also showed up quickly when we got to the FA Cup final in 2015 after months of invisibility. I think the McLeish appointment was a dig at the fan base too. 

Of course it is bloody difficult. But it is more infuriating when you know a person is not applying himself fully, he is no longer interested in the club. He is holding the club hostage.  The end of season letters were annoying as hell too, blagging and spinning the truth......simply lost his hunger and got bored of the toy but didn't have the courage to take responsibility.  🤡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I'll be honest with you - I think he was vindictive at the end of his reign, after relegation with who he sold the club too - it showed a bit of nastiness imo. He also showed up quickly when we got to the FA Cup final in 2015 after months of invisibility. I think the McLeish appointment was a dig at the fan base too. 

Of course it is bloody difficult. But it is more infuriating when you know a person is not applying himself fully, he is no longer interested in the club. He is holding the club hostage.  The end of season letters were annoying as hell too, blagging and spinning the truth......simply lost his hunger and got bored of the toy but didn't have the courage to take responsibility.  🤡

Lerner didn't choose Xia it was that clown Hollis and the committee Lerner set up to get a new owner. People were declaring Hollis a hero on here and wanted him to be chairman. It was weird😂

By 2016 Lerner clearly just wanted out ASAP. Seriously doubt he foresaw what would happen with Xia and thought "I'm gonna really stick it to the Villa fans and sell to this charlatan". He simply wanted to get away as fast as possible. The McLeish appointment on the other hand was odd, although again I think it was more just a case of apathy. Lerner's reign was very poor overall but he wasn't actively nasty, just really really naive in the beginning and uncaring by the end.

• Like 2

Change of tack here: Lee Hendrie

He was a pantomime villain for a lot of his time playing for us. Whether it was his off-field antics, his call for a testimonial game in an era where footballers were paid very well, or his single cap for England - a sign of unfulfilled promise. He seemed to have a knack for putting fans offside, regardless of performances.

Loved watching him play, though. He linked up play well, knew where players were and chipped in with goals himself.

Seems our distaste for creative midfielders who "can't deliver every game" is a Villa thing. See: Buendia, Coutinho

Surprised there are no mentions for Villa's Winston Bogarde, Habib Beye.

Dr Tony is the correct answer - legitimately could have sent us the way of Aldershot.

Doug was a terrible, but in a Levy kind of way. Hindered progress, but administration was unlikely. Shows how low Xia made the bar.

10 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

So what you’re saying is.. that he deliberately harmed his own asset as an f u to the fans?  He thought the best way to get his own back would be to devalue villa by appointing shit managers?

That’s like a restaurant owner deliberately hiring a shit chef to ‘teach his customers a lesson’.

Hold on.  Let me just pop outside and graffiti my walls and scratch my car.  That’ll teach my neighbours.

Edited by Thug
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2023 at 13:36, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Don't get me wrong I loved him to bits...

Many fans however hated him after the spitting incident.

Fair enough forgot about that.

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Micah Richards, I absolutely hate that man hate him! Was a disease to the club. 

I hate how he's everywhere on the punditry circuit despite being annoying AF and contributing absolutely nothing.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Change of tack here: Lee Hendrie

He was a pantomime villain for a lot of his time playing for us. Whether it was his off-field antics, his call for a testimonial game in an era where footballers were paid very well, or his single cap for England - a sign of unfulfilled promise. He seemed to have a knack for putting fans offside, regardless of performances.

Loved watching him play, though. He linked up play well, knew where players were and chipped in with goals himself.

Seems our distaste for creative midfielders who "can't deliver every game" is a Villa thing. See: Buendia, Coutinho

Not to mention that his name is an anagram of "Hen ride eel", which sounds  like something from the book of Revelations 

On 11/06/2023 at 19:09, AvonVillain said:

An all-time worst XI? I'm interested in this. And completely agree that Lescott is first name included..

Moreira

Beye, Unsworth, Lescott, Stevens

Sylla, Holman

N'Zogbia,   Tonev,    Dawkins

Balaban

Bench: Marshall, Richards, Curtis Davies, Djemba-Djemba, Curcic, Berson, Pires, Bowery, Baston

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 17:51, useless said:

I don't really know if this is true but Xia took us out of the hands of Lerner not saying Lerner bad just lost interest so we needed new owner, spent millions on the team, buying some players who became heroes, was sending £5m a month from China just to keep the club going until he no longer could because of Chinese government stopped him, when he couldn't support the club no longer instead of hanging on to it - as many predicted for the idea was that as a Chinese man he would be too proud to sell unless to one of his fellow country men but that didn't happen, he sought out our current owners and agreed to sell to them for a cut price deal, stayed with them to keep his promise of getting us back to the Premier League, once he kept his promise he gave the rest of his shares to NSWE so they could use that money to give to Randy who was owed an agreed fee upon promotion.

No, I cannot agree with this, he was a charlatan and a liar from day 1. He was simply a front for *someone*. 

He had no financial nouse whatsoever and pretty much all of his backstory was picked apart pretty easily. Billionaire my hairy arse.

He pretty much bankrupted this club, to the stage we were taking out loans against future income from player sales and mortgages on 3 bed semis in Erdington. We were a couple of weeks away from having no club anymore.

He had no clue what he was doing and probably did not have any money. 

He sold in the nick of time because he had to. He did not keep any promises at all, he kept a stake in the club to try and recoup some money. Ultimately he did not "give" the shares to NSWE to pay Learner, they basically took them to pay Randy as they felt it was Xia's debt, not theirs or the club's. I remember an article about it at the time. 

Plus he talked bollocks about theme parks and tweeted stupid cryptic emojis all the time. 

It's a stain on Villa's history that we were duped by this utter con artist.

• Like 2

Whatever Xia's role was in our gloomy first six months of 2018 I hope he's not in peril in Chinese prison, would like to see him tweet again just to know he's okay. And not being facetious there, apparently he is or was in Chinese prison.

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Xia. 

All day long

With Hollis, Krulak, Samuelson and  Wyness getting honourable mentions.

Jesus we have had some charlatans associated with our club.

Dark days.

Samuelson should get more than a mention. A prison sentence would be more relavent

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Haha 1

Â