Biggest Villa "villain" in club history ...

Marka Ragnos

19 hours ago, av1 said:

Honestly can’t see how this can’t be Ellis. 

Because only one person brought the club to within hours of going bust and it wasn't Ellis.

Tony Xia was so so close to putting us totally out of busienss that any other answer is just crazy.

• Like 2

I'm going for Micah Richards.  Mr sicknote, Mr unprofessional, couldn't give a shit, attitude.  I also blame Sherwood for signing him.

Grealish, for obvious reasons. 

Doug Ellis for holding us back and being the ego that he was. 

Looking back, I don't feel much hate for Xia as I did after the play off defeat. I think it is because TX sold quickly when things were going south and sold to NSWE too.

I think it has to be Lerner? Made big promises which he never kept. Appointed our bitter rival's manager just after they were just relegated. Oversaw our worst footballing period ever which culminated in relegation. Scattergun football strategy. Seemingly absence when the going got tough. He hung Remi Garde out to dry too. Bernstein and King reported on some home truths and they were forced out after. Him and Hollis desperately sold us to the dodgy Tony Xia after relegation too. I think he was a bit vindictive at the end of his reign, probably upset at the heavy personal financial lost.  

I don't buy the City/FFP justification for being that bad too. He treated the club as a toy and we should never forget that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Looking back, I don't feel much hate for Xia as I did after the play off defeat. I think it is because TX sold quickly when things were going south and sold to NSWE too.

I think it has to be Lerner? Made big promises which he never kept. Appointed our bitter rival's manager just after they were just relegated. Oversaw our worst footballing period ever which culminated in relegation. Scattergun football strategy. Seemingly absence when the going got tough. He hung Remi Garde out to dry too. Bernstein and King reported on some home truths and they were forced out after. Him and Hollis desperately sold us to the dodgy Tony Xia after relegation too. I think he was a bit vindictive at the end of his reign, probably upset at the heavy personal financial lost.  

I don't buy the City/FFP justification for being that bad too. He treated the club as a toy and we should never forget that. 

I have to agree with this. The fact he inherited most his fortune and also left The Browns in a mess speaks volumes. He needs to just leave sports clubs well alone.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

The EFL should have never let clown shoes Xia buy the club. Wyness another clown. Just a shambles. They gambled on getting promoted and I dread to think what would have happened had Bruce got us promoted under his ownership. No guarantee that NSWE would still buy us. 

It's unfair for anyone to name Micah Richards here.

It wasn't his fault he was offered so much money on such a long contract and was simply unable to return the faith put him in; he's spoken about this brilliantly. His body couldn't cut it anymore for the demands placed upon it, it had nothing to do with attitude. There was simply no more football left in him, as even Steve Bruce recognised. He had no chance of a contract at any other club in any league, and it's plain stupidity to suggest he should have 'honourably' stepped away from his final ever contract as a professional footballer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to agree with this. The fact he inherited most his fortune and also left The Browns in a mess speaks volumes. He needs to just leave sports clubs well alone.

Don't think he has the money to even try it at the top level now 

7 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Because only one person brought the club to within hours of going bust and it wasn't Ellis.

Tony Xia was so so close to putting us totally out of busienss that any other answer is just crazy.

Ellis actually saved the Club from going under In the late 60s

6 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Nope not for me

Lerner saw FFP for what it is and walked away

Unfortunately he still owned us for about 5 years after walking away

He should have shouted it from the rooftop but instead he kept his silence, he saw the death of competitive football when very few others did

I don't think he saw it as a toy he saw it as something completely different to what the PL rules then told him it had to be, we had a children's charity on the front of our shirt on the day we were told the spending had to be related to revenue

My outlook and interest in football has completely changed under these rules and man City not sure why I should expect lerners not to have

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

He then also sold out European cup winning team out of shear spite and arrogance...

That team was ageing and in decline. The big thing for Villa after winning the lesgue was to sign one or two good players to improve the squad. We signed andy Blair 

7 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Dr Fraud sold up as he broughr us to within days of being wound up. He also didn't find NSWE he had to sell up

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dr Fraud sold up as he broughr us to within days of being wound up. He also didn't find NSWE he had to sell up

Wasn't there multiple bidders at the time? Didn't Xia stay on for a little longer after the takeover? I agree he was forced to sell up by the circumstances but I believe he had power to decide to which entity. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nope not for me

Lerner saw FFP for what it is and walked away

Unfortunately he still owned us for about 5 years after walking away

He should have shouted it from the rooftop but instead he kept his silence, he saw the death of competitive football when very few others did

I don't think he saw it as a toy he saw it as something completely different to what the PL rules then told him it had to be, we had a children's charity on the front of our shirt on the day we were told the spending had to be related to revenue

My outlook and interest in football has completely changed under these rules and man City not sure why I should expect lerners not to have

Even if his original objective of competing at the top was altered by FFP - it is still no excuse for us to quickly drop so low and sanction some of things he did! 

My take is Lerner got bored after a few years and put the toy away, it got too tough for him and he threw the towel in. I think his reign as chairman perfectly defined his character or lack of. I suppose in the interest of fairness, you could argue he was badly let down by those he appointed and players - but he appointed and signed most of them 🤣. The full responsibility is on him.  If you put little in, you get little back. I think you have to admit he caused a lot of self inflicting damage too - appointing McLeish and selling to Xia were very poor judgements calls. Selling to Xia could have been fatal too!

Maybe some things were outside of his control or influence but I think you are letting him off the hook. 

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

Even if his original objective of competing at the top was altered by FFP - it is still no excuse for us to quickly drop so low and sanction some of things he did! 

My take is Lerner got bored after a few years and put the toy away, it got too tough for him and he threw the towel in. I think his reign as chairman perfectly defined his character or lack of. I suppose in the interest of fairness, you could argue he was badly let down by those he appointed and players - but he appointed and signed most of them 🤣. The full responsibility is on him.  If you put little in, you get little back. I think you have to admit he caused a lot of self inflicting damage too - appointing McLeish and selling to Xia were very poor judgements calls. Selling to Xia could have been fatal too!

Maybe some things were outside of his control or influence but I think you are letting him off the hook. 

My take is FFP is the biggest load of bollocks and the death of football

Lerner saw the writing on the wall, all this with man City right now, he saw it coming and he wanted nothing to do with it

How he then went about it deserves criticism but him walking way was absolutely right, they've killed football, I've more or less walked away from football too, love villa and watch them obviously but everything else I'm not interested in

I think randy understood football far better than what people gave him credit for

• Like 1

Â