Biggest Villa "villain" in club history ...

Marka Ragnos

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Leftfield shout out to Dariusz Kubicki.  Not during his (minimal) time with us, but arrested in 2007 for his involvement in a bribery scandal.

Hardly posts anymore, then appears from nowhere making a scene like David Cameron at a hog roast with his Dariusz Kubicki takes. Unreal scenes from @GarethRDR.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, STO said:

I'm going for Micah Richards.  Mr sicknote, Mr unprofessional, couldn't give a shit, attitude.  I also blame Sherwood for signing him.

Grealish, for obvious reasons. 

Doug Ellis for holding us back and being the ego that he was. 

Yet everyone involved who has been asked publicly about this says he was the absolute definition of professionalism.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Hardly posts anymore, then appears from nowhere making a scene like David Cameron at a hog roast with his Dariusz Kubicki takes. Unreal scenes from @GarethRDR.

Hey look, I'm a busy man, those love-haikus to Unai Emery aren't going to write themselves.

• Haha 3

Doug Ellis took over when we were at our best and when the PL came along we were primed to ride the wave to the top, but he lacked any foresight whatsoever and scrooged us down to mid table mediocrity. 

An owner with some vision in the 90s and we've got at a couple of PL titles at this point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My take is FFP is the biggest load of bollocks and the death of football

Lerner saw the writing on the wall, all this with man City right now, he saw it coming and he wanted nothing to do with it

How he then went about it deserves criticism but him walking way was absolutely right, they've killed football, I've more or less walked away from football too, love villa and watch them obviously but everything else I'm not interested in

I think randy understood football far better than what people gave him credit for

🤣 I can't take that seriously.  

23 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

🤣 I can't take that seriously.  

Why not?

He voted against FFP, was 1 of 4 owners who did so (?) walked away when it was approved

FFP and man City have killed football as a competition, Lerner saw it when others didn't or refused to believe

We had a children's charity on our shirt as our main sponsor, we're now struggling to compete with teams because they have additional revenue thanks to their official bed and pillow partner, I 100% believe randy saw this coming and wanted no part of it

What he did wrong was he wasn't vocal enough in protesting it, in hindsight we as fans weren't vocal enough either

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

If I'm making an all-time worst XI, Lescott's one of the first names on the teamsheet.  Utter word removed.

An all-time worst XI? I'm interested in this. And completely agree that Lescott is first name included..

On 10/06/2023 at 13:55, villa4europe said:

Nope not for me

Lerner saw FFP for what it is and walked away

Unfortunately he still owned us for about 5 years after walking away

He should have shouted it from the rooftop but instead he kept his silence, he saw the death of competitive football when very few others did

I don't think he saw it as a toy he saw it as something completely different to what the PL rules then told him it had to be, we had a children's charity on the front of our shirt on the day we were told the spending had to be related to revenue

My outlook and interest in football has completely changed under these rules and man City not sure why I should expect lerners not to have

I'm not sure I agree, but I really appreciate this perspective. I think you may be inferring insights in Lerner that, as far as I know, he failed to voice himself ... or you're projecting interesting and wise motives onto him that we don't have tons of evidence for. The Lerners are bankers and Randy is a fairly shy, reticent personality, and I'm just not sure that works all that well with a football club struggling to unseat the Big Six. That said, you may be right! He always struck me as kind of bewildered and overwhelmed by the situation he'd found himself in with Villa and the fan base and a string of managers who didn't work. He spent a year at Cambridge (which gives you basically zero insight into Birmingham). Was he actually seeing the FFP writing on the wall and acting in accordance with that? Maybe. It's an interest take. Thanks. I do think he respects Villa fans and probably felt hurt and confused in the end.  I think some better educated Americans can get to feel deeply stung by the disapproval of English people (it's hard to explain this). It can put certain sensitive Americans into a kind tailspin. Shuts them down. I think Randy is one of these. I see Daniel Levy as almost the opposite. A British man who can be kind of socially awkward but ...he's Essex Man. He has a sense of what he wants and doesn't want and can be very decisive at times. Isn't afraid to face down hostility, maybe even a bit crass at times?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Why not?

He voted against FFP, was 1 of 4 owners who did so (?) walked away when it was approved

FFP and man City have killed football as a competition, Lerner saw it when others didn't or refused to believe

We had a children's charity on our shirt as our main sponsor, we're now struggling to compete with teams because they have additional revenue thanks to their official bed and pillow partner, I 100% believe randy saw this coming and wanted no part of it

What he did wrong was he wasn't vocal enough in protesting it, in hindsight we as fans weren't vocal enough either

Why not? 

He never walked away when FFP was approved. He ran the club badly, but silently and from afar. He also voted alongside City against FFP too. He sold our better players to Manchester City too. He never once said or implied that the competition was a closed shop, he preached sustainability a few times too but never built infrastructure that could boost our revenues.

Even during Lerner's reign of terror - Leicester, Wigan, Blues and Swansea won silverware. Not fashionable clubs with huge resources or finances. Clubs from much lower positions were innovating faster than ourselves and overtaking us.

Even in the hypothetical case of there being no FFP - I'm not convinced he would have made the decisions to be successful. The best manager working under him was advised and endorsed by the previous chairman. I dread to think who he would have picked otherwise 😂. MON was also in charge of everything football until his departure, which doesn't sound too healthy.

Lerner put a great dent in our club's competitive history through woeful judgement and apathetic management. 

I think supporters needed to be more vocal in our discontent of his leadership and forced him to sell earlier than he did (around 2011/12). 

Lerner was an incompetent custodian for Aston Villa.

On 10/06/2023 at 10:59, VillaJ100 said:

The Houllier season was a bit odd. It looked like he was trying to create a certain style and in the nick of time it all started to click and we did enough to stay up and finish 9th. It all come to a halt though as was to ill to carry on 

Could be a sliding doors moment worthy of another thread but you wonder what may have been if he’d be healthy enough to continue for a few seasons. He obviously identified the like of Gabby as being toxic and tried to change that negative culture in the club. I remember Henry Winter saying Villa were in for an exciting summer just before his health deteriorated. 

4 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

... Even during Lerner's reign of terror - Leicester, Wigan, Blues and Swansea won silverware. Not fashionable clubs with huge resources or finances. Clubs from much lower positions were innovating faster than ourselves and overtaking us.

Even in the hypothetical case of there being no FFP - I'm not convinced he would have made the decisions to be successful. The best manager working under him was advised and endorsed by the previous chairman. I dread to think who he would have picked otherwise 😂. MON was also in charge of everything football until his departure, which doesn't sound too healthy.

Lerner put a great dent in our club's competitive history through woeful judgement and apathetic management. ...

I don't think Randy Lerner is capable of a "Reign of Terror." In fact, a bit of terror might have improved his leadership style. I guess it's possible for gross incompetence to rise to the level of dastardly villainy, but I just don't see enough intentionality in Lerner's reign. Apathetic, surely. Complacent, no doubt. Lackadaisical is the adjective that comes to my mind, and maybe that did reach a certain point where it just felt wilful and arrogant for you? He drove me crazy. But isn't it worth saying that owning a struggling-to-succeed Premier League football club is also really, really, really difficult? 

The only answer is Xia. He is a complete crook who nearly made our club actually disappear. There is no competition whatsoever for the crown of biggest villain. Even if Garde stayed forever and relegated us all the way down to non-league that would not be worse.   

Player wise it’s a tough one. The likes of Delph, Grealish, Benteke etc you do have to just accept deep down that when the big boys come calling it’s very hard to resist.

I think the answer has to be Lescott. There are people who were garbage but you can’t fault efforts and that’s just the way things can go. Lescott however was lazy, helped relegate us, mocked the fans, was “relieved” we went down, got paid a fortune and **** off. And he is meant to be a Villa fan which just makes it worse.

Honourable mention for McCormack for fleecing us and quickly cashing in and giving up, but I worry about what his mental health state was/is. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

Ron Bendall and co have to feature more prominently in this conversation, Shirley. 

Mismanagement of the North Stand building project to the point that the rozzers were even called in at one point. All paving the way for Ellis to return as a solid hand at the tiller (ha!). And robbing us of the chance to push on from a position of strength. 

On 09/06/2023 at 17:51, useless said:

I don't really know if this is true but Xia took us out of the hands of Lerner not saying Lerner bad just lost interest so we needed new owner, spent millions on the team, buying some players who became heroes, was sending £5m a month from China just to keep the club going until he no longer could because of Chinese government stopped him, when he couldn't support the club no longer instead of hanging on to it - as many predicted for the idea was that as a Chinese man he would be too proud to sell unless to one of his fellow country men but that didn't happen, he sought out our current owners and agreed to sell to them for a cut price deal, stayed with them to keep his promise of getting us back to the Premier League, once he kept his promise he gave the rest of his shares to NSWE so they could use that money to give to Randy who was owed an agreed fee upon promotion.

That’s certainly a take I haven’t heard before. Where did you hear this? His whole corporate and personal life seems to be so utterly shrouded in bullshit that I struggle to believe he is a good guy in all this. 

Â