Pau Torres

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

astounded by the figures being chucked about for a player in his final year of his contract. i know he's a big 'name' but is he worth it? bearing in mind CB is one position where we're already in good shape.

It seems we are building upon being a possession based team Tielemans another midfielder comfortable on the ball. At the back Konsa & Mings were excellent and became competent ball playing Centre Backs under Emery but imagine how much we improve as a team with a natural ball playing centre back.

Just now, CVByrne said:

He's Bayern's replacement for Hernandez who is supposed to be joining PSG. So Torres goes to Bayern when that deal is wrapped up. Of it falls through then Torres might end up joining us

Don’t think it’s that straight forward. Yes the Bayern pull is strong but Torres’ admiration of Emery and his desire to play in the PL makes it a lot more grey than you portray. I’m not convinced we are necessarily second choice for Torres in this case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It seems we are building upon being a possession based team Tielemans another midfielder comfortable on the ball. At the back Konsa & Mings were excellent and became competent ball playing Centre Backs under Emery but imagine how much we improve as a team with a natural ball playing centre back.

good point imo.

A huge, huge part of Emery's system is ball retention in the defensive third, and although Mings and Konsa did become competent ball players in Emery's time, they certainly arent on the level that Emery would want in an ideal world, i dont think.

Mings/Konsa were competent on the ball playing side, but their shortcomings in ball retention were exposed a fair bit when they got put under pressure.

not saying they cant play in Emery's system, ofc they can, but i can also see Emery wanting genuine ball playing defenders.

One reason i think Cash will be second choice behind a new, and much more technical right back, and we will buy at least 1 ball playing central defender.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's Bayern's replacement for Hernandez who is supposed to be joining PSG. So Torres goes to Bayern when that deal is wrapped up. Of it falls through then Torres might end up joining us

He's an option for them to replace Hernandez, but they also want Kim Min Jae from Napoli, they won't go for both.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's an option for them to replace Hernandez, but they also want Kim Min Jae from Napoli, they won't go for both.

I wonder if they will go for the one which will bring 3 squillion fans with him?

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Whose also wanted by United to replace Maguire or by City if they don't get Gvardiol,  United could also go back for and wind up with Jurrien Timber whose also targeted by Arsenal.

Its quite a merry go round amongst top clubs for a CB, suppose we're in a position where we can hopefully get through the year without buying one and Carlos hopefully surprises a few with a speedy return to his top form when called upon.

It may not be entirely unrealistic to see all of these move without us able to get in on it at all. Hernandez (PSG), Pau Torres (Bayern), Min Jae (United), Timber (Arsenal).

Hopefully City get Gvardiol sorted soon and Bayern beat United to Kim Min Jae, leaving us hopefully with a quick window to sort Pau Torres out to Villa before somebody like United realise he'd be great for them too

Edited by HalfTimePost

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Whose also wanted by United to replace Maguire or by City if they don't get Gvardiol,  United could also go back for and wind up with Jurrien Timber whose also targeted by Arsenal.

Its quite a merry go round amongst top clubs for a CB, suppose we're in a position where we can hopefully get through the year without buying one and Carlos hopefully surprises a few with a speedy return to his top form when called upon.

It may not be entirely unrealistic to see all of these move without us able to get in on it at all. Hernandez (PSG), Pau Torres (Bayern), Min Jae (United), Timber (Arsenal).

Hopefully City get Gvardiol sorted soon and Bayern beat United to Kim Min Jae, leaving us hopefully with a quick window to sort Pau Torres out to Villa before somebody like United realise he'd be great for them too

Or Torres picks us and it’s not related to other business elsewhere.  Really think the Emery relationship is the trump card here the way Torres talks about him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Hard to predict what will happen.  Hopefully the uncertainty of United's takeover means they miss out on Kim Min Jae and he goes to Bayern, allowing us to get in there for Torres. 

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Confirmed and HERE WE GO! What tier was that thought that confirmed this? 

Watching him on tv, I saw both his legs as he walked AND ran! Each leg taking a turn in his movement.  I watched out for more legs but didn’t see any.  So I am the ITK on this topic because I saw both the legs on tv.  He also has two arms 😱 I’m sworn to secrecy on any further details.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Watching him on tv, I saw both his legs as he walked AND ran! Each leg taking a turn in his movement.  I watched out for more legs but didn’t see any.  So I am the ITK on this topic because I saw both the legs on tv.  He also has two arms 😱

That’s all irrelevant Nick, the important attributes to look for is the ability to look someone in the eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

oh i've no issue with upgrading positions if an upgrade becomes available...it's just a LOT of money for a CB considering how good mings and konsa have been. i know we're looking to have a big summer but this surely will take a sizable chunk of our budget when we need a new RB, a new back up keeper, and at least 1 but preferably 2 new forward players too.

i wonder if emery has been less than impressed with carlos in training? based on how few opportunities he's had since he's been fit

i guess as things stand with no solid links to wingers i'm still dreading the prospect of bailey/traore starting PL games next season

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

oh i've no issue with upgrading positions if an upgrade becomes available...it's just a LOT of money for a CB considering how good mings and konsa have been. i know we're looking to have a big summer but this surely will take a sizable chunk of our budget when we need a new RB, a new back up keeper, and at least 1 but preferably 2 new forward players too.

i wonder if emery has been less than impressed with carlos in training? based on how few opportunities he's had since he's been fit

i guess as things stand with no solid links to wingers i'm still dreading the prospect of bailey/traore starting PL games next season

If you want to go to that next level you have to pay top dollar. Everyone balked when Liverpool paid £75m for VVD, but he took his game and their defence to another level. People also balked when they paid £66.8m for Allison. We've already got our world class keeper and he cost us just £20m!

Edited by stewiek2

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

There could be a reason for wanting another centre back, it could be down to the fact we only have 3 that are first team quality or a change in formation. City have 5 centre backs at the club, will probably lose Laporte but they’re potentially paying 100 million for gvardiol. We’re not city of course but there’s obviously a plan behind it. 

Edited by IrishVilla10

Emery wants 2 left footers and two right footers at centre half. He loves Torres. He has the financial backing to try and get him so he is going to do his very best to make it happen. Not easy as he is a premium centrehalf . But needed for a 60 game season plus internationals. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Or Torres picks us and it’s not related to other business elsewhere.  Really think the Emery relationship is the trump card here the way Torres talks about him.

I don't. Love Emery all he likes nobody is turning down Tuchel and Bayern for Villa. 

Â