Pau Torres

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

With his passing and reading of the game Id say that one tactic if Kamara is out again is to push him into the DM role and play Konsa and Carlos with Cash at RB. We have a great deep lying passer who's reading is great who can, should a full back go forward, slot into the back to form a 3 with ease.

As the season goes on he's looking more and more a steal at £31.5m

Only in an emergency for me. Stones for City showed on Weds that defenders in midfield isn't a natural fit.

49 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Only in an emergency for me. Stones for City showed on Weds that defenders in midfield isn't a natural fit.

Agreed, Pau at CB is perfect. Everything is in front of him, he can see the whole pitch and dictate the game. 

Kamara has a far more encompassing role, playing with his back to goal, beating the press, breaking up play, turning and carrying the ball forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Just wish the national team ‘manager’ would stop insisting it’s going to work. 

29 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Just wish the national team ‘manager’ would stop insisting it’s going to work. 

He got all swooned by Klopp moving TAA there and decided he was a good enough coach to do it at international level without realising that he's a conknosed t*** who's dream club managerial return is being ruined by Woy kicking his chances in the guys far too early.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not so sure, after watching a defensive master class against city....The back 3 was impeccable.

All the things I have been sceptical about, they proved they can do it.....The combativeness, intensity and urgency, I have doubted.................was there.

Mings is a huge miss, but Carlos's strength, not to mention his ball skill, was immense.

I think this team still have more improvement in it....its scary.

This is key for me.  You'd think that for us to be in 3rd after 15 matches we'd have to have been playing right at the top of our game.  I mean Man City was pretty close to that - but in general there is still room for improvement.  The partnership of Torres and Carlos will improved the more they play alongside each other, gain confidence in each other and also understand each others weaknesses so that they can help combat those.  Konsa will only improve as a RB (if that is where he is going to play).  Tielemans is growing into the team and Ramsey is going to be adding strength and depth to the midfield.  I think that the attackers probably think they can be a bit more ruthless and although Ollie is playing well it doesn't feel that he's outperforming himself.

I'll be amazed if we end the season in the Top 3 but we've definitely not peaked as a team yet.  I still think that the number of matches this season will catch up with us.  But Emery has form with long seasons and so if anyone can nurse us through then it will be him.

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

Stones was superb in midfield last season when City won everything?

Having said that, I agree in Pau’s case he doesn’t seem like a natural midfielder to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not so sure, after watching a defensive master class against city....The back 3 was impeccable.

All the things I have been sceptical about, they proved they can do it.....The combativeness, intensity and urgency, I have doubted.................was there.

Mings is a huge miss, but Carlos's strength, not to mention his ball skill, was immense.

I think this team still have more improvement in it....its scary.

It will be interesting if he persists with Konsa, Carlos and Pau as to how good they can be, you get the sense it could be awesome, especially as Ezri is developing into Van Dijk.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Why on earth didn’t someone pick him up before we did. Class act.

We keep on picking up top quality players who others think have flaws.  Pau for his lack of physicality , Diaby for his lack of defensive ability,  YOuri for his supposed lack of athelticism.  The thing is if these players were stronger, better defensively and more athletic they would have cost £80 mill each. This is how we find value. Because we have a coach who can work out a system to fit players into it , we can continue to grow. 

• Like 1

He's brilliant. He's a joy to watch, on the ball he's one of the best players we have. He almost glides with it and his passing is superb. 

After them first few ropey displays, he's grown into this team and is now vital to us. 

What a player. 

The fact that we haven't really missed Mings is testament to just how good Pau has been. A shaky start was to be expected, especially with the high line that we play, but he's adapted to the speed and power of the League really well. 

On 07/12/2023 at 00:09, Follyfoot said:

He has the attitude and look of a man who is out for a stroll in the afternoon with his kids and the dog

Just worked out who he reminds me of. Andy Dufresne in Shawshank. Strolls around looking like he doesnt have a care in the world. Its fair to say i liked him from the moment i saw him. He never made a sound. 

18 minutes ago, dukes said:

The fact that we haven't really missed Mings is testament to just how good Pau has been. A shaky start was to be expected, especially with the high line that we play, but he's adapted to the speed and power of the League really well. 

I don't think that's not really true we've definitely missed mings, which is why we played Carlos the last few games for his size and physicality. 

• Like 2

Â