Pau Torres

Delphinho123

39 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This thread is so polarised. You have some fans who only focus on his passing ability and say he is amazing every match and those who focus on his defending and say he is crap all the time. 🙄

Well yeah you will always get people who know loads about football and people who don’t but think they do ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Said it in the match thread. We’re the best in Europe at the Offside Trap.

That late Son goal. Can't remember who the last was one to come up, maybe Doug. Very conscious running out from him. 

It's brilliant. Drilled beyond belief.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

Watch the game, the players follow the line he sets, if their behind him they push up, i saw it numerous times today. Last season it was Mings but he's not available 😢.  If you can't see what Torres offers (he's not complete yet) then fair enough, maybe our offside trap is just good luck. 

Oh yeah. Sorry I thought you were putting it all on him, as in we couldn't do it without him. 

• Like 1

I think he did well! Not the defender that will clean them out or chase them down but positionally doesn’t go AWOL and his gift as a carrier and passer is something I’ve not seen before at Villa. 

Not the rah rah type of leader but but one who’s got a steady hold of the game, willing to carry it forward and keep us in the game. 

Also, surprisingly good at getting on the ends of these crosses. For someone who everyone’s tagged as an aerial weakness, he’s clearly a target for our players on set pieces. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its true. We had a very dominant in the air centre half in Ty who barely scores. And a not particularly good in the air centre half in Pau who is a huge attacking threat. Football is confusiing sometimes. 

Reminds me of Chester. Not physically gifted but had the knack of timing and knowing where the goal was. 

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Reminds me of Chester. Not physically gifted but had the knack of timing and knowing where the goal was. 

I said it before, he has a bit of the McGrath about him, either him or Konsa

Edited by Follyfoot

He had that one dodgy moment with Kulusevski early on, but he was very good from there on. I think people are letting moments like that cloud their judgement. The game is 90 mins. Even the best CBs in history get done by tricky players or disguised through balls, which it was from Bentancur

even before the goal i thought he was our best player first half. a little miscommunication/misunderstanding/hesitance from emi that would've caused even the best CBs to have a moment of panic and boot it out for a throw. pau though? oh i'll just turn and skin the attacker that's on my back

37 minutes ago, andym said:

Funny how he seems to get the Mings treatment - any chance against where he's the defender and its getting mentioned as evidence he can't defend or is error prone.

Konsa got just as easily skipped past by Johnson for his chance, and has had a few shocking moments this season directly leading to goals (3rd newcastle goal, Luton's consolation).

Carlos somehow got beat in the air by Ben Davies, giving him a free header 6 yards out today, yet his thread is all positive.

All of our centre backs are good, all have different qualities, all can and will have moments where they cost us goals against. Just the nature of the position.

Considering he's been thrown in at the deep end given Mings injury, Torres has overall adapted much quicker than i thought.

The Davies chance I think was worse than people think. Carlos back into him enough to make the header more difficult. 

2 hours ago, andym said:

Funny how he seems to get the Mings treatment - any chance against where he's the defender and its getting mentioned as evidence he can't defend or is error prone.

Konsa got just as easily skipped past by Johnson for his chance, and has had a few shocking moments this season directly leading to goals (3rd newcastle goal, Luton's consolation).

Carlos somehow got beat in the air by Ben Davies, giving him a free header 6 yards out today, yet his thread is all positive.

All of our centre backs are good, all have different qualities, all can and will have moments where they cost us goals against. Just the nature of the position.

Considering he's been thrown in at the deep end given Mings injury, Torres has overall adapted much quicker than i thought.

It's the way. Any defender who is slightly cultured or unorthodox gets scrutinized with a microscope, while more traditional, "no nonsense" defenders can seemingly get away with murder in comparison.

• Like 2

Â