Youri Tielemans

thejoker

8 hours ago, duke313 said:

How did Leicester actually manage to get relegated with Youri, Maddison and Barnes in their team 😂

Because they had sideshow Bob and a packet of toffee wafers in defence?

I thought Tieleman's was to blame for their third goal, gave away a really stupid and unnecessary foul for the set-piece that lead to it, when there was no need at all, just looked a lazy foul, was all the more ridiculous because they were on the up having just come from two goals down and we would have been nervous defensively, so last thing we needed was to give away a cheap free-kick in a dangerous area, and so it proved, not saying he should be castigated for it, but surprised he hasn't had any blame at all

• Like 2

Tielemans in the double pivot showed the weaknesses that I’ve been worried about. 

Once Brentford realized this, they continually sent three people to that side and Youri had nowhere near enough legs to cover ground. 

• Thanks 1

What are the general thoughts on Youri? I’m torn to be honest. He is a great player to have in the squad. He’s experienced and he is a lovely footballer. The flip side is he lacks any physical stature in a team that is fairly weak and he is our highest paid player! 
I think if we could get a good price and replace him with a more physical midfielder then I would be tempted to sell in the summer. Best case scenario I’d obviously keeping him and buying a couple of additional centre mids but I doubt FFP will allow that sadly.

27 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Tielemans in the double pivot showed the weaknesses that I’ve been worried about. 

Once Brentford realized this, they continually sent three people to that side and Youri had nowhere near enough legs to cover ground. 

Don't understand why McGinn was played out wide and not centrally. Teilemans can't do it. Ok going forward, poor the other way 

35 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

What are the general thoughts on Youri? I’m torn to be honest. He is a great player to have in the squad. He’s experienced and he is a lovely footballer. The flip side is he lacks any physical stature in a team that is fairly weak and he is our highest paid player! 
I think if we could get a good price and replace him with a more physical midfielder then I would be tempted to sell in the summer. Best case scenario I’d obviously keeping him and buying a couple of additional centre mids but I doubt FFP will allow that sadly.

Sometimes good.

Sometimes maybe shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

When we have the ball, he’s key to making those incisive passes. 

When we don’t have the ball, he’s consistently been a liability when he’s in the double pivot. 

If we can hide him when he’s up top with Ollie, it’s forgivable. When we ask him to cover a lot of ground in the middle, it ends up with results like today or Legia away or Newcastle at home. 

Edited by DJBOB

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Clearly has talent and ability and has shone in some of our best performances and results this season… but… that was last year and only when he has been played in an advanced position/role…

I am always concerned when he is played in central midfield and much moreso when it’s in a deep or defensive position. The guy lacks speed, agility… maybe even concentration and definitely stamina/fitness for a whole game (which I think is the main reason why he struggles or can’t maintain a certain level, he just runs out of gas) … I’m all too used to see him looking shattered and blowing or breathing heavily, from what clearly looks like exhaustion… on top of that, he is so prone to lapses and mistakes… in that sort of position… 

I don’t want to be overly critical of him, he’s a likeable guy and player and definitely has attributes. Again, it’s a shame how rotten our luck has been with injuries and he is now being forced to play in what isn’t his best position or role…

But tbh, if there is any actual truth to us needing to raise funds or a “big sale”… if an attractive offer came in for Youri… I would be happy for us to sell… he would be top of my list (after the likes of Digne and Cash but… I don’t think they would generate the sort of fee or sale many have been talking about, my personal view or feeling is that we can sort any such issues by selling inessential and replacable/upgradeable players like that, as well as the likes of Dendoncker, Coutinho, Chambers and maybe some kids but… none of them would bring in a huge fee) when compared to the alternative or suggested names. There are much more important players we need to keep at the club. He would be the easiest [perceived to be big] player to replace imo.

But… maybe how short a time he has been with us plays a part in that notion too…

I think we could bring someone better in, more affordable and with more ability and, most of all, longevity… if he cannot up his speed and stamina, he is not going to be able to perform all that well at this level for very long… I’m just being honest and it’s mainly how I’ve felt since he first started playing for us…

He needs to play in an advanced position to excel for us but… how long will he be able do it well enough, at the top level? And how consistently? It’s not good enough for him to play well in one game then drop off for the next 3-5 for example…

Honestly, I’d have preferred Buendia to be fit and available and in the side and, if the option were ever and somehow possible, would have chosen that over even signing Youri. Emi does not have the same shortcomings and I am sure he would’ve been even and much better for us this season had he not got such a bad injury… his passing and incisive through balls are at least as good imo… and certain stats backed up the fact that he was and is capable of being one of the most creative players in the country… I will be delighted to have him back.

I’ve no objection to Tielemans staying and don’t dislike him… but I’m just giving my honest opinion and thoughts. I want every one of our players to do well for us but… it’s not always possible, especially for those with limitations… However, we need a strong squad and good options that can contribute and impact games. Rest and rotation is important if we want to compete at or near the top of the game…

Anyway. I usually love to be proved wrong on what may be negative thoughts on players… always and especially when it benefits the team and club… winning games and performing well is more important than anything, than anyone’s opinion or desire to be proven right… that’s meaningless in comparison. 

Edited by Jas10

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

What are the general thoughts on Youri? I’m torn to be honest.

Same as Torres.

A talented player who's good going forwards only.

He's inherently a player that makes teams that are playing well even better (the ceiling): he's a huge threat in these situations and can unlock teams. But he can't really make the team play better (the floor) by himself, and he's definitely a liability when the team's on the backfoot. 

I think Emery made a mistake keeping him deep in the pivot with McGinn higher up the pitch once we went 2-0 up. It worked well enough in the first half against the low block, but that was never going to end well once Brentford started going for it and throwing everything at us. But that's just hindsight, really.

Edited by wishywashy

40 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

He's inherently a player that makes teams that are playing well even better (the ceiling): he's a huge threat in these situations and can unlock teams. But he can't really make the team play better (the floor) by himself, and he's definitely a liability when the team's on the backfoot. 

I think Emery made a mistake keeping him deep in the pivot with McGinn higher up the pitch once we went 2-0 up. It worked well enough in the first half against the low block, but that was never going to end well once Brentford started going for it and throwing everything at us. But that's just hindsight, really.

It was a masterstroke in the first half when Brentford were willing to sit back.

It was very clear as soon as the first goal from Brentford came in that he, Konsa, and Bailey were being targeted.

Continually - when asked to play a lot out of possession - we have been overrun with Tielemans in the middle.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

It was a masterstroke in the first half when Brentford were willing to sit back.

It was very clear as soon as the first goal from Brentford came in that he, Konsa, and Bailey were being targeted.

Continually - when asked to play a lot out of possession - we have been overrun with Tielemans in the middle.

Playing him deeper reminds me of when Dean Smith used to play Hourihane in that role at home, then he would play Whelan away.  More ability to pick a pass from deep when we're on the front foot at home but a liability defensively when we're under pressure.  I think if we'd been away today it would have been McGinn or Tim alongside Luiz.  Not only are we missing the mobility and presence of Kamara, but also his instinctive tracking back into our own box to support the centre backs.... When the crosses came in for both Brentford's second and third goals it was 2v2, 1v1 with no tracking midfielders in sight.  Kamara would have been in there.  Tielemans simply doesn't have that mindset or instinct.  

The other part of our midfield that suffered today was no pressure on the ball in the wide areas, and I believe that's why Rogers was the first to be substituted.  Many don't see what Ramsey brings defensively, but so many times today in the second half horror-spell, Brentford players were picking passes at will to play in behind our defence.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Playing him deeper reminds me of when Dean Smith used to play Hourihane in that role at home, then he would play Whelan away.  More ability to pick a pass from deep when we're on the front foot at home but a liability defensively when we're under pressure.  I think if we'd been away today it would have been McGinn or Tim alongside Luiz.  Not only are we missing the mobility and presence of Kamara, but also his instinctive tracking back into our own box to support the centre backs.... When the crosses came in for both Brentford's second and third goals it was 2v2, 1v1 with no tracking midfielders in sight.  Kamara would have been in there.  Tielemans simply doesn't have that mindset or instinct.  

The other part of our midfield that suffered today was no pressure on the ball in the wide areas, and I believe that's why Rogers was the first to be substituted.  Many don't see what Ramsey brings defensively, but so many times today in the second half horror-spell, Brentford players were picking passes at will to play in behind our defence.  

Yeah wholeheartedly agree. The remaining players need to step up but we had a stellar defensive record in the second half of last season. 

But we’re without Mings, Kamara, JJ, and Buendia - all key players during that run. All players who in some way, play with high intensity and defensive tenacity. 

Tielemans is not that. 

Still got a nice assist. I think emery maybe played him deeper over mcginn because he knew brentford would be sitting deep and tielemans has a eye for a great pass. I imagine he would have played tielemans higher against arsenal but now luiz is out probably will be tielemans and mcginn deeper now.

Once we conceded then maybe he should have swapped mcginn and tielemans around. 

Edited by TheMightyVillans

His "performance" last night was so an anonymous nobody deemed it worthy of comment it would seem.

He simply cannot play in the center with any defensive responsibility. His positioning and awareness is terrible. He's been deployed there in the last couple of games and we've looked embarrassingly poor defensively. 

Throughout his career he's always had extremely strong defensively minded players alongside him because he can't do that role.

Replacing him with McGinn seems the obvious move.

Don't understand why Emery is using him there....

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

His "performance" last night was so an anonymous nobody deemed it worthy of comment it would seem.

He simply cannot play in the center with any defensive responsibility. His positioning and awareness is terrible. He's been deployed there in the last couple of games and we've looked embarrassingly poor defensively. 

Throughout his career he's always had extremely strong defensively minded players alongside him because he can't do that role.

Replacing him with McGinn seems the obvious move.

Don't understand why Emery is using him there....

I was saying this at the game Mcginn and Dougie has the holding midfielders and Youri in the hole seems everyone would perform better but what do us mortals know compared to The Don.

Must be reasons so it is what it is.

Â