Youri Tielemans

thejoker

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

but, when you pay 150k a week to a player, that’s what you get. 13 teams in this league don’t have their best player on anywhere near that amount. That’s what depth allows.

Have you got any evidence in the wages? Although I’m not sure why you’re using that to criticise him? 

Played well today, moved the ball quickly and got a great assist 

13 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I really like what Unai has done to make Youri effective. Played him in the double pivot and one of the wide roles in pre-season but after some disastrous appearances, moved him up to that second striker role but with a much different remit than Diaby. 

I think it’s no coincidence he pairs Youri with Bailey. Out of possession, Youri hustles in his press and while he’s not a great ball winner, he’s doing the ugly job of blocking an easy pass in the middle. 

But in possession, he shines as he drops to essentially make a midfield 3, his best role at Leicester. 

Normally, a CB or midfielder will follow him but with Bailey out wide, a CB will hesitate to follow as it will create a big gap. And unless teams play a midfield 3, he will usually be available between the lines. 

His threat as a passer has teams hesitant to press even if they might win a duel. Braver teams will try to press but if Youri can get turned forward, he has Bailey as a runner on the right and Watkins to the left, the role he excelled in at Leicester. 

This is a superb summary. I knew that Youri's role had been changed, but you explain how he drags the defender with him when he's in those more offensive areas. 

He's such a fantastic passer of the ball. He has the ability to pick the perfect weight of pass - something Grealish was superb at. 

He has his flaws, but I wonder if he might fashion himself as being one of those players that excels coming on after 60 mins. He may not want to be that sort of player but I think he has massive ability to hurt teams with tired legs if we can get him turned and picking passes to Watkins.Bailey.Diaby. 

• Like 1

becoming more and more impressed......when he can stay on the ball and resist a challenge.....he is an artist.

His ability to pass between the lines, is superb and he picks out Ollie, like he did Vardy.

He has attributes, that are really compelling.

19 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Can anyone recall a player this good that isn't a first team regular at Villa over the years? Incredible.

can anyone recall a "Free Transfer" being this good, other than Kamara( in his role)

On 26/11/2023 at 16:19, Delphinho123 said:

When we needed someone to put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass, he did it. He was a game changer.

but, when you pay 150k a week to a player, that’s what you get. 13 teams in this league don’t have their best player on anywhere near that amount. That’s what depth allows.

We're not competing with the bottom 13 teams in the league, we're competing with the top 5

12 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Let's throw out a hypothetical, and I know they aren't like for like but let's do it anyway...

Someone comes in with 100 million offer for Doug - anyone feel more comfortable about him going for that price now Youri is showing potential?

At the end of the season...... maybe if Emery and Co give it the nod and have a replacement in mind then I wouldn't worry too much. I think these types of moves will be on the cards once Emery knows what we need to push on and at times we are lacking a competitive nature in the middle, Kamara is better at it but lacks the drive and passing abilities of Doug. 

Doug is our best midfielder at the moment but it's by a narrow margin, his real strength is his range of skills, he has a bit of everything and that's hard to replace. 

• Like 1

Â