Youri Tielemans

thejoker

Saw a few misplaced passes which is concerning when we have the high line. But there were elements of his game tonight which we could definitely do with in this side, such as a couple or thru-balls which were very nice indeed. He needs confidence I think, and he also needs to stop throwing his arms up when things go wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Cracking comeback. This a copy and paste job or did you type it put multiple times😂

Cracking comeback x2. Did you press ‘submit reply’ and then think ‘ahh shit, I wish I’d said that’? 

Get behind the team and stop being a muppet, you might enjoy it. You’re the type of person who sits in the upper Doug, drinking their warm beer and moaning about how bright the floodlights are. 

He was okay today showed some promising signs, the criticism reminds me of the criticism that Watkins and Mings have got in recent seasons, Watkins when he would have a decent game put people focus on him missing a chance and not how well he played overall, and the same with Mings when he was okay overall but people would focus on one mistake even if it didn't cost us, and the same today with Tielemans he made some appalling passes which were incredibly frustrating, but overall he wasn't that bad.

I thought we were poor first half as a team and no one deserved singling out - although I actually thought Duran did quite well, and in the second half we improved as a team and Tielemans was a part of that.

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

leicester fans warned us. big error in the scouting department here. they couldn't have been signing him based on last season's displays so it was just hope that he rediscovers prior form

Does seem that.  Or they thought they could coach the bad attitude out of him. 

On a free, when we're limited in flexibility due to FFP, its not a bad decision. In hindsight it may seem to be.

Had Buendia not got injured, there's one less "average" player we have to bring in,  and the whole team benefits from in. 

He's OK when he's the only rotation... but when you have to bring in donk as well, it's an issue. 

The misplaced passes were frustrating.  But also that it seemed he was mentally slow at decision making when in possession. Like he took too long to decide what to do rather than playing instinctively.  I guess that’s a confidence thing. 

• Like 1

Thought he was poor again. Misplaced passes without even being pressured. Dallied on  the ball, many poor passing choices, too many attempts at ambitious through balls. Wild shooting. Added to the fact he looks cumbersome and clumsy.

Luckily we got him on a free!

MOTM today, clearly. Can't understand all the criticism ...

Spoiler

But seriously, I must've counted something like three dozen anti-Tielemans posts on the Mostar match thread? No Villa player seems that bad. It's like turning him into some kind of whirling vortex of incompetence. I thought he had a lot of slip-ups and misfires today. Maybe he won't work out for us, but I do think he deserves more time under Emery, maybe? Besides, what alternatives did we have today? A lot of key injuries. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think a goal might settle him down a bit, he was unlucky with one effort tonight, the rest were largely wayward. 

Would like to see how he plays with a bit of confidence before writing him off entirely, if at all possible.

I was expecting some worldies from him when he signed, I’ve been massively underwhelmed by his shooting so far.  A few screamers would make up for his poor defending and passing.

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

MOTM today, clearly. Can't understand all the criticism ...

Hide contents

But seriously, I must've counted something like three dozen anti-Tielemans posts on the Mostar match thread? No Villa player seems that bad. It's like turning him into some kind of whirling vortex of incompetence. I thought he had a lot of slip-ups and misfires today. Maybe he won't work out for us, but I do think he deserves more time under Emery, maybe? Besides, what alternatives did we have today? A lot of key injuries. 

Youri ... for me is a disappointment, not so much because he is "bad" or whatever but more because he is not delivering his potential.

If he was so "terrible" why did Unai keep him on the pitch? Does Unai not see Tielemans' performance like the rest of us in the peanut gallery? Maybe someone from the peanut gallery should volunteer their services.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Youri ... for me is a disappointment, not so much because he is "bad" or whatever but more because he is not delivering his potential.

If he was so "terrible" why did Unai keep him on the pitch? Does Unai not see Tielemans' performance like the rest of us in the peanut gallery? Maybe someone from the peanut gallery should volunteer their services.

As I watch the replay, it also looks like Mostar was targeting Youri as a weak spot in transitions. He was getting pushed back a lot, but when he won tackles, there were often few good choices for passes. I love and trust Emery, but to me it seemed like what happens when you get a key copy that's not quite cut right? It works, but it's fiddly, and everything's not lining up?

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Saw a few misplaced passes which is concerning when we have the high line. But there were elements of his game tonight which we could definitely do with in this side, such as a couple or thru-balls which were very nice indeed. He needs confidence I think, and he also needs to stop throwing his arms up when things go wrong. 

giphy.gif

Â