Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, useless said:

We no need to beg for Burnley's help we can do it ourselves as we've shown time and time again this season, the people taking as if we're reliant on others and there's no chance of us picking up another point you would think we were near the bottom of the table. We're just as likely to beat both Liverpool and Palace as lose both

To be fair, the players look absolutely spent and we have 11 senior players. I’ve got nothing but pride for the players, but I struggle to see us picking up a point against either on current form. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

They only need a point if we get tonked by Liverpool and Palace (which is entirely possible) Palace are on the form of their season. 

Spurs will probably get 3 or 4 vs Sheffield. 

I still think City will do the job vs Spurs. So we will be OK. But defo squeaky bum time 😂

Wouldn't be villa if we made it easy 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watching both Spurs and City today I’m even more certain they will lose on Tuesday (if that was possible). 

Relax guys. Top 4 is good as done.

I don't know how anyone could watch City on the one hand, almost certainly needing a win to win the title, and then watch Spurs barely getting past Burnley, and doubt that City are going to win. They just win, it's what they do, and Spurs are mere cannon fodder. 

• Like 2

I wish I had the optimism as some of you on here, I've just got a bad feeling about these last few games. 

The lads have been brilliant all season, but they look done for fitness wise and I could still see Spuds taking a cheeky point against City. 

Just hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know how anyone could watch City on the one hand, almost certainly needing a win to win the title, and then watch Spurs barely getting past Burnley, and doubt that City are going to win. They just win, it's what they do, and Spurs are mere cannon fodder. 

The City machine goes into overdrive as the season closes out. Pep won’t have them losing 

• Like 1

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

I wish I had the optimism as some of you on here, I've just got a bad feeling about these last few games. 

The lads have been brilliant all season, but they look done for fitness wise and I could still see Spuds taking a cheeky point against City. 

Just hope I'm wrong. 

Point isn't really helping Spurs unless we really get battered in last two games 

Would have been pretty concerned if they beat Burnley 4-0 or something big like that: instead they've just about scraped by one of the worst teams playing out from the back I think I've seen in years.

Roll on end-of-season run-in City.

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Just hope I'm wrong. 

Burnley have repeatedly gone straight through them in this game. City won't be as wasteful and will make twice the chances Burnley have.

• Like 1

We are still statistically favourites for 4th.

We win one of our next two games then it's nailed on.

If we don't win either of our next two games then Spurs need to;

• Win all three of their remaining games.
  • Win two, draw one, and overturn their goal difference.

If Spurs lose just one game in their final three games then we finish the season 4th. 

Spurs face Man City on Tuesday and we likely know how that's going to go. 

I would love for Villa to finish 4th on their own terms, but it's as good as nailed on already as I don't see Spurs winning all three of their remaining games this season. 

Posted (edited)

That second half from Burnley was on a par with our 15/16 lot.

Still a decent goal difference lead is the main thing from today.

Even if we lose our last two by one goal margin then Spurs have to win 6-0 at Sheffield United? (and take a point off Man. City).

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Just now, grobs said:

What happens if we finish on the same GD? Does it go to head to head or goals scored 

I think it's goals scored?

We've had all this crap before, a few bad results and people think we're not going to get another point and other teams are going to go on amazing runs.

Just because we've had a few bad resuls doesn't mean we're not going to pick up another point

And just because Palace have won a few games doesn't mean they're certainties to beat us

And just because Spurs had lost a few today didn't mean that was going to coninue

Form goes up and down for most teams in the league

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HongKongVillan said:

Hope they sack that useless baseball cap wearing gimp

Kompany? Why would they do that, he'll piss the Championship again with Burnley

• Like 1