Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

20 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Keeping things on topic!

spurs lost!!! We could have this wrapped up by the weekends end. With an added cherry on top of bloose being relegated 

mate

This is it, if we can get the win and the bin dippers win, hopefully after blurs fail to win then it will be a perfect weekend.

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Betfair are offering 1/50. Skybet 1/16 on Villa top 4. 

Place your bets...

9 hours ago, Alakagom said:

Place your bets on Spurs! Win win at that point... 😅

anyone who still fancies Spurs, this

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I would care. It's a European Trophy. I want to take my son to Birmingham and watch a parade with John McGinn lifting the cup. 

That's what I will remember in 20 years time. I will not remember finishing 3 points ahead of Ange's spurs.

Having said that, I will also remember playing Madrid at Villa Park. But hopefully that will become a standard yearly fixture. Winning a European cup is not an every season thing. 

I totally agree with you, winning a trophy and taking my lad would be the pinnacle for me however I also think being in that champions league and him watching us mix it with all the teams that the glory hunters at school support would also be up there as a big moment and i think in modern football unfortunately is a bigger event for the club and our profile etc

Positive from the conference is i think we will have learnt so much as a team having had decent tests throughout and so it will stand us in good stead if we can get in the CL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cb_82 said:

I totally agree with you, winning a trophy and taking my lad would be the pinnacle for me however I also think being in that champions league and him watching us mix it with all the teams that the glory hunters at school support would also be up there as a big moment and i think in modern football unfortunately is a bigger event for the club and our profile etc

Positive from the conference is i think we will have learnt so much as a team having had decent tests throughout and so it will stand us in good stead if we can get in the CL

I don't think I remember wanting to win a game more than I did the game last night.

I can only imagine wanting to beat Bayern Munich again would be an even bigger buzz!

So I get the reasoning. But, a European Trophy is something for the history books. Finishing 4th isn't; but it might give us a great platform to go forward. 

• Like 1

One thing is for sure—we need to improve the squad and hopefully have far better luck with injuries next season if we are to compete in the league again. 
This current squad is absolutely knackered at this point.

• Like 1

It’s done now to be honest. 

If we win one game and Spurs lose one game, for the rest of the season, then we seal it. 

There’s no way that doesn’t happen

The midweek European grind is something players and fans will have to get used to, if we want to establish ourselves as a so called 'elite' side. For all the disquiet about last night's performance we need to bear in mind that was our 52nd game of the season - we've played 15 more matches than Spurs and I'd say we look more up for it in games than they do......pretty remarkable, to be fair.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

And I'll be controversial... We don't need a tin pot, we need the revenues of the Champions League to be able to kick on to the next phase of our development.

I can wait for a real cup like the FA Cup, premier league or Champions League.

Nobody will care about the conference league in 20 years time.

sorry @ChicagoVillan1983 for me i'd want to win the Conf League. 28 Years since this magnificent club last won a major trophy, that's ridiculous

We might not get as good a chance as we've had this season for a while, who knows?

If we were to somehow win it everyone will remember it.

But i get why some want the CL more so.

The Ideal scenario now is for us to beat Brighton and Spurs lose to Liverpool and then we can go gung ho in Greece and give it a right good go.

Then who knows, we could end up with both.

• Like 2

We could well already have enough points for top four, if Spurs lose to both Liverpool and Manchester City, which is certainly possible, then they can't catch us.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, andycv said:

I want both - and I think we can still do it.  We can win 3-0 away from home....

Need that first goal and then go from there

1 minute ago, cb_82 said:

Need that first goal and then go from there

Football cliche 101: first goal is crucial in the second leg… if we get it, we are in the ascendancy and we can go on to win…. I’m actually more confident of us going there and having to win , than going there to defend a 1-goal lead… it’s a pity that the penalty was missed. Ideally we need Martinez, Pau, and Yuri back in the team too… maybe even Carlos too.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, andycv said:

I want both - and I think we can still do it.  We can win 3-0 away from home....

I agree. We’re more than capable of battering Olympiacos in the second leg, and we’re clear favourites for 4th place now. Don’t think one priority comes above the other at this point. Trophy better for the fans, 4th place probably better for long term spending power.

I think it's slowly dawning on me what an achievement this is going to be, or already has, we've stayed the course with an ever changing back 4, no Kamara, squad depth consisting of new to the league 21 year olds, and more league/euro games than any of our rivals. Been ranting to a bored daughter this morning about how UCL is so close, but only by ranting have I gotten over last night's disappointment, and I have to say I'm suffering from an underlying nervous excitement which I think will require medicating in the next 72 hours. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this potential achievement is being underestimated. Imagine at the start of the season being offered a European semi final and finishing 4th! Dream land.

I can of no better season in my lifetime. I might be in my 30s still, but it’s never been a more exciting time to be a fan of us. There’s still so much to look forward to. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, andycv said:

I mean we can definitely win 4-2 too.

As you say, we just won at Arsenal 2-0, 3 nil not beyond us.

Edited by turvontour

One of the things about this European cup run is that we're all approaching it as fans of a team that has been in the wilderness for a very long time. But if you believe we're now a club capable of regularly finishing in the top 8 (which I don't think is unreasonable with these owners) then actually I don't think this will be too unusual - any time England gets the 5th CL spot, 8th is quite likely to get the Conference League.

And the thing about the Conference and to some extent the Europa League is that whatever English teams get into it will have a fairly decent shot at winning it. So hopefully this trip to a European semi-final isn't a once-in-a-lifetime occurence for our fans.

Also, I think we'd be able to play with more intensity when there's not a tight battle for the CL spaces going on in the league at the same time - like, if we were fighting to finish somewhere between 5th and 7th then I think we'd very clearly be prioritising the European trophy. But there's so much financial fall-off between finishing 4th and 5th this season that I don't think Emery feels like he can risk it (rightly so in my opinion).