Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is there a chance that subconsciously this is what they have their eyes on a and heads in?

Not saying purposely so ( neglecting the Conference League ) somewhat.

I don't think there's any doubt, and if not for some calamitous errors and terrible luck it would've continued doing so. He won't admit it but I think Emery understands the journey has been more important than the destination here; learning how to pace yourself through the season is so important, how often do you see Real in CL games breezing through the game like it's a warmup? It's the right mindset, but mistakes cost us.

Let's not forget the tie is far from done and dusted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Were only 1 point ahead of Spurs if you take into account the free wins against Sheff United and Burnley.

1 win is still required and I don't know where it's coming from if we play like we did tonight though.

Free wins? Are we talking about the same Spurs? The one that has lost the last 3 games and looked absolutely awful against a sewn together Chelsea side.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just had a little look.

**** me, you’re not wrong.

Just as an indication of the mood over there - on a forum for a side currently fifth in the Premier League - a thread has been created this evening entitled “Would you take relegation if it meant new owners and a fresh start?”

And it seems like one or two feel there’s merit in the proposal.

Well, I mean it worked for us...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

You’re a bundle of joy this evening mate 😂

I know, I'm so pissed off I can't go to bed. I will close this bloody computer now though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Were only 1 point ahead of Spurs if you take into account the free wins against Sheff United and Burnley.

1 win is still required and I don't know where it's coming from if we play like we did tonight though.

They're not free wins until they've been won. Burnley definitely aren't a free win now: they've lost 1 in 8 and will be fighting for their lives now they have a chance. Even Sheffield United can spring a surprise draw now and again (against us for example)

Edited by wishywashy

It might not feel like it but for anyone with a bit of long term thinking, tonight was a good night for Aston Villa Football Club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s clear that they’re all desperate to play Champions League and the owners are equally keen. But although we seem closer to it than ever, watching how we’ve performed against Olympiakos and Lille makes me slightly dread how hard it’s going to be. If we do qualify will we have big funds to strengthen in the summer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trillvillan said:

Spurs should be more worried about not allowing ManU to catch them

Spurs can mathematically finish 8th

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

But although we seem closer to it than ever, watching how we’ve performed against Olympiakos and Lille makes me slightly dread how hard it’s going to be. 

This line of thinking has also crossed my mind but given how terrible this season has been for injuries, surely next year can't be as bad. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Beat Brighton and palace somehow. We all know Liverpool will beat us. That's inevitable. 

Story of my life ! them and that other b**tard club manure, two teams I always want us to beat the most and we fall short on most occasions sick of it 😤 but love where we are now as a club on the whole and never witnessed anything better so that will do 😉

Almost there - a point out of either Brighton or Crystal Palace and Spurs have to either beat City or win at Anfield, and win the two games that everyone has down as easy.

I think we're one point away - and there is a chance we might not need that point.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Weird. I’ve been wrestling with this whole idea of, ‘which is more important, 4th (And CL), or winning the conference league’. And honestly? I’ve always thought finishing 4th is more important due to the money it brings, the ability for us to sign better players and the general improvement we will see as a club in the near and long term.

However. And this is the odd part. I checked the Spurs score maybe twice tonight whereas I lived and breathed every kick of our game. I’m genuinely really low at the moment about the fact we lost and we probably won’t see a European final and perhaps a trophy at the end of it.

Im a pragmatist. The pragmatist in me probably thought 4th was more important, but right now, how I feel, I’m devastated. 

CL will be great, but football is about winning trophies and those big, big occasions in finals of tournaments. I’m shocked at how badly I’ve taken tonight. I never knew it, but now I’ve realised that winning this trophy is bigger (for me) than I ever cared to wish for.

We can win the Champions League Next Season!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Free wins? Are we talking about the same Spurs? The one that has lost the last 3 games and looked absolutely awful against a sewn together Chelsea side.

Burnley at home is far from a cert anymore. If Spurs win that it will be a scrappy 2-1 imo rather than 3-4 nil.

I can't see them making up the GD either. One of Man. City/Liverpool will stick 2-3 past them and they haven't good enough about them to go to a Sheffield United and win 7 or 8 nil either.

They basically blew it when they lost 4-0 at Newcastle. Win that and they'd have been three clear of us with a game in hand and would've put huge pressure on us at Arsenal. That was the weekend we turned things around and I've been confident since and their results are getting worse.

My hearts says CL silverware but we’re all kidding ourselves if we dont admit we need the champs league. For the massive injection of cash it brings. Even for 1 season.