Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)

Liverpool fading in the way they have has kinda thrown my thinking a little off. It was simpler when I was just writing off both their games against us and spurs as wins for them. Now I’m a bit more “well, we could get a draw, Spurs might do them again…”. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Spurs are on a tightrope right now with minimal margin for error. Draws are no good to them. If they win and keep winning they’re in the driving seat. If they lose a couple they slip behind quite significantly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It is a very strong position, but would be better if Spurs didn’t have 6 games remaining.

However, they have a got a pretty bad run-in with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City to play. Being Spurs though they could win them all or lose them all.

It's out of our hands to a degree, but we can only play our own games and it's up to them now to try and catch and beat a 7 point lead with a very tough schedule including the top 3 and a team that played us off the park tonight away from home.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd still rather have our points on the board, even if it's not in our hands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not a disaster today but looking longer term that's more points dropped from winning positions and that has to be cut out 100% next season. We're now well into double figures for dropped points. Mitigating circumstances today with two injuries but even so.

1 minute ago, VillaJay said:

It's out of our hands to a degree, but we can only play our own games and it's up to them now to try and catch and beat a 7 point lead with a very tough schedule including the top 3 and a team that played us off the park tonight away from home.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd still rather have our points on the board, even if it's not in our hands.

Indeed 

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Potentially catastrophic capitulation.

How do you blow a 2 goal second half lead at home considering the stakes?

Feeling queasy now.

Emery is happy with the point, why aren’t you?

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we can get 4 points from next 3 I think that will be enough. Might not even need that if spurs wobble the next 3 games .

We’ve beaten Brighton last 5 games.. not rushing to jinx it but we usually do well against them.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We choked tonight lads. But we're in a race about who chokes less. With Spurs

Spurs 

Our most impressive midfielder of our little mini run went off injured in the first half. Our goalkeeper,  the world no. 1 in his position, went off at half time. We have guaranteed, mathematically with three games to go, 5th place for the first time since 1997.

Maybe have some perspective?

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Our most impressive midfielder of our little mini run went off injured in the first half. Our goalkeeper,  the world no. 1 in his position, went off at half time. We have guaranteed, mathematically with three games to go, 5th place for the first time since 1997.

No, you don't understand. It's Champions League this year and the start of the newest Thousand Year Reich, or we might as well all start accepting how rattled we are at the new 60,000 seat sty.

There is no room for alternate outcomes, or distinguished points, or even nuance. It's literally all or nothing. Every. Single. Game.

I guess you're happy to bend a knee to Tom Brady BUT NOT I, SIR, NOT I

Edited by 479Villan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Don’t take the bait!

The point today will be fine as long as Spurs don't better the result when they play Chelsea .The positive is that Chelsea are at home for that where they have been not too bad.

Liverpool where god awful today but again we have them at home Spurs have them at Anfield so gives us a slight edge.

Pray Youri is not to bad as we badly missed him when he went off .

Let's hope Arsenal do us a favour tomorrow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Liverpool fading in the way they have has kinda thrown my thinking a little off. It was simpler when I was just writing off both their games against us and spurs as wins for them. Now I’m a bit more “well, we could get a draw, Spurs might do them again…”. 

Liverpool could not get a win again this season but hopefully they're on the beach after Spurs game, not before