Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

If Chelsea are this bad, we have to assume Spurs are at least winning 3 more games; Chelsea, Burnley and SheffieldU. That means Saturday is a must win game for us.

If Spurs had won or drawn games they "should have" this season, they'd already be ahead of us. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

Chelsea were never as good as the hype after their win over Everton suggested, but also they're not as bad as their defeat to Arsenal suggests.

All we need to know is that on their day they can be decent, and as such we need to be wary, less talented teams than them have taken points of us

If we're not at our best they're more than capable of beating us, but if we play as well as we can do then we will have an excellent chance

Agreed, they beat us well in the FA Cup and are a decent side despite all the noise, but we have a TEAM and a talented one at that, no easy games in this league, but for what feels like the first time in decades we will be going up vs Chelsea as the favourites and stronger team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

but for what feels like the first time in decades we will be going up vs Chelsea as the favourites and stronger team.

Think we were favourites when beat them in September 

There might be a reaction from Chelsea after that 5-0 drubbing. I don't think it helps our chances on Sat much if at all. 

We need the atmosphere at VP to be amazing and players to give everything. If we go 9 clear of Spurs that will be huge, the players know it. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There might be a reaction from Chelsea after that 5-0 drubbing. I don't think it helps our chances on Sat much if at all. 

We need the atmosphere at VP to be amazing and players to give everything. If we go 9 clear of Spurs that will be huge, the players know it. 

Once our first goal goes in Chelsea  will crumble, they have some good players but they looked completely broken against Arsenal, stick them same players in a rocking villa Park, and it will be, 8pm on a Saturday,  and they stand a very good chance of being overan. We want 9! We want 9.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

Chelsea were never as good as the hype after their win over Everton suggested, but also they're not as bad as their defeat to Arsenal suggests.

All we need to know is that on their day they can be decent, and as such we need to be wary, less talented teams than them have taken points of us

If we're not at our best they're more than capable of beating us, but if we play as well as we can do then we will have an excellent chance

They have some very capable players. Madueke and Palmer can hurt us and Gallagher, Caicedo and Fernandez are a decent unit in the middle. 

They look weak at the back, that’s where we need to hurt them.

Is it too much to ask for a first half similar to the one we put up against Newcastle at home where we beat them 3-0? Just blow them away inside of 15 mins.

Like I say, weak at the back and mentally very fragile. If we can take a 2 goal lead, it could be 3-4 easily. Score early and we win.

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

Funny to see our fans giving Spurs 12 points for the rest of the season while their fans are debating if they can hang on to 5th.

Not as funny as this Chelsea fan though, bless his cottons.

Screenshot_2024-04-23-23-56-17-003-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

They have good taste

With Luiz returning… I think we should pair him with McGinn again who is much more effective in the centre of midfield and probably the next best option to Kamara in the squad… Tielemans back in support of Ollie or LM again with Bailey (if fit, otherwise usual impact from the bench) on the wing or SS if Youri is LM.

Just think it’s the way to get the best out of John who can be so crucial and provide that sorely needed energy, grit and fight… hopefully he puts in a major shift and drives us on for the remainder of the season. Hope Dougie returns with renewed energy and focus and back to the player who was so good during our long home run of victories (and goals)…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

With Luiz returning… I think we should pair him with McGinn again who is much more effective in the centre of midfield and probably the next best option to Kamara in the squad… Tielemans back in support of Ollie or LM again with Bailey (if fit, otherwise usual impact from the bench) on the wing or SS if Youri is LM.

Just think it’s the way to get the best out of John who can be so crucial and provide that sorely needed energy, grit and fight… hopefully he puts in a major shift and drives us on for the remainder of the season. Hope Dougie returns with renewed energy and focus and back to the player who was so good during our long home run of victories (and goals)…

Don't disagree per se but also, if everyone is fit, don't see the need to change the team from the Bournemouth match.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Once our first goal goes in Chelsea  will crumble, 

This is the big thing, we need to score first and Chelsea's low morale could mean not much fightback. 

35 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Funny to see our fans giving Spurs 12 points for the rest of the season while their fans are debating if they can hang on to 5th.

Beyond deluded… the arrogance and entitlement from fans of these “fallen giants” or Sleazy Six members (inc Manure) is absurd…

You had your day…

NOW IS OUR TIME 💜💙

• Like 1

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

Don't disagree per se but also, if everyone is fit, don't see the need to change the team from the Bournemouth match.

Maybe… but I think Luiz is too good and crucial for Unai to “drop” and it’s easy to forget what he brings and how much he offers… as good as Tielemans has been, Dougie can offer that and more.

It’s an interesting debate anyway… Rogers is going from strength to strength too… and Zaniolo was doing well before some injury trouble… Diaby also improving… it’s what we need, more n more players playing well. We are so depleted though, wasn’t much at all on the bench for that game…

Just think we need McGinn in the middle more than out wide… not all that secure or confident in a Luiz & Tielemans double pivot.

Pleasing how we are doing and the recent upturn (although we were poor against Lille)… hopefully we can maintain and make a real push to see out the season in style…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Once our first goal goes in Chelsea  will crumble, they have some good players but they looked completely broken against Arsenal, stick them same players in a rocking villa Park, and it will be, 8pm on a Saturday,  and they stand a very good chance of being overan. We want 9! We want 9.

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is the big thing, we need to score first and Chelsea's low morale could mean not much fightback. 

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

That's like saying 'my wife hasn't been great recently, I know I have had 7 divorces in the recent years, but she just can't do the job. I think I should go for Monica Bellucci' 

Even if they score first the crowd will push us on. We have to be able to beat teams like Chelsea at home,  if we get CL it's vital. Joking apart it's a tough match but I'm confident we have enough. Poch is a good manager,  I note some of the Chelsea fans are turning on him already, sometimes the tail wags the dog....

Sanchez and Palmer have both been out with 'illnesses' wonder if it's spreading through the team? 

I think we will be going for max points in our last 4 games, 12 points. Obviously Liverpool is the hard one , followed by Chelsea, Brighton and Palace. I reckon 10 points. Not sure about Spurs tbh, their difficult to judge but obviously Sunday we will know. Title decider/killer for Arsenal? 

16 hours ago, Alakagom said:

It's not nonsense its how probabilites work lmao. Spurs have incredibly tough fixtures so of course if they win few matches they don't expect things will swing. 

I'd say maybe not nonsense, but the fact they continue to swing wildly after every result suggests that results never consistently go as expected. Football will ALWAYS throw up odd scorelines, so it's kind of futile to put a percentage on a probability that almost certainly won't reflect reality.

I assume thats what @WallisFrizz meant.

• Thanks 1