Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty sure previously they've moved Porro out to LB previously. However he also went off injured v Newcastle so not sure if he's in contention.

Udogie is a contender for team of the season so big boost for us he can't feature anymore for them this season.

Went off with Hamstring ,they haven't said if it's serious yet.2 week break between games should help him.

A derby game so form can go out window but coming off a 4-0 loss that's a tough game .

Chelsea for both of us is hard to call.Out of FA cup now so might effect them as at best they could scrap into Europa league so what motivation will they have ? 

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Blasphemy I know, but, is there scope for the team that played today be the First XI moving forward? Who would you take out for Chelsea to allow Luiz in?

In the cup we played all 4 CMs in both games. So with that thinking Luiz will return and Diaby will likely drop out. Or Bailey with the injury might be saved for Olympiakos.

Can put out 8 CMs but one of them needs to actually track Conor Gallagher this time and not just let him get free shots from 20 yards out this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Chelsea destroyed us at home in the cup earlier. 

They also haven't scored past us in the last three at Stamford Bridge so we just need to defend a bit better than in the cup game which really shouldn't be that hard as we were way below that night.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Went off with Hamstring ,they haven't said if it's serious yet.2 week break between games should help him.

A derby game so form can go out window but coming off a 4-0 loss that's a tough game .

Chelsea for both of us is hard to call.Out of FA cup now so might effect them as at best they could scrap into Europa league so what motivation will they have ? 

I don't know how true this is for football. But in basketball when a player is forced off with a muscle injury it's usually because they will have to miss 2-3 weeks. Obviously with basketball you can a sub a player out to let them recover, and then bring them back in so it's different. But it could easily be a week or 2 for porro.

4 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think that’s a big statement. We had 38 points from our first 17 games when they were pretty much ever present. I felt like they were our engine during that time. We’ve only got 28 points from our next 17. We have had a few good results recently but we haven’t progressed from the first half of the season. Strictly speaking, we’ve regressed as might have been expected. I think losing that partnership has been hugely disruptive. We’ve done ok at times but without the duo but at others we’ve struggled. Great as today even was, I felt like we really missed them both at times, particularly in the first half when Bournemouth were getting into dangerous areas quite easily. 

For top 4, my view is that we need to match or better Spurs’ four difficult games in our four remaining games, taking a worst case scenario that they beat Burnley and Sheffield. So still plenty of work to do. 

It shows what squad game is all about. Some games we might not need to begin both Kamara or Luiz, but both are our best CM’s. 
I think Emery and the players are understanding their qualities more, and with much choices, I think Emery would rotate even more than this season.

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The people on the Spurs forum Cock Gobbler or whatever it's called seem to be resigned to 5th place. 

Felt like being on VT reading some comments

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

The people on the Spurs forum Cock Gobbler or whatever it's called seem to be resigned to 5th place. 

Are you sure you were on the right site? If there were pictures of someone being resigned to taking it in 5 places, maybe you weren't...

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes but we play Chelsea before spurs play again. If we win that game, spurs might capitulate as it will be a nigh insurmountable gap. That being said we need to go out and beat Chelsea. 

Chelsea will be a tough game. I just feel like the two home games being at 8pm might help us with the atmosphere. Also with our away from being good we can get wins at Brighton and Palace. It's in our hands 

The one worry is Spurs best form is against the top sides. You'd still hope it would be tough for them to win away to Chelsea and Liverpool, especially as both rarely lose at home. I think they've both lost only once at home since October. Then Spurs at home to Arsenal and City (who could win and clinch title that game) those are tough games. I think they'll get a win a draw and 2 losses there. 

I just hope we can bring the energy levels, mid table teams at end of the season like Brighton and Palace with nothing to play for. We will be treating those games as finals

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I take the view of Europa League being a good competition for the next season. A Trophy they will be among the favs for. They are so rich from their stadium and commercial income CL money isn't important for them. 

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I want to know who put the sky sports table up on Monday and ask him what the score will be next week. 

Didn't Sky put the table up that we were on 66 points having beaten Bournemouth by 2 goals on Monday? 🤔

9 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

One more win and we are mathematically guaranteed 5th position I think. Phenomenal season whatever happens.

It's not mathematically guaranteed, it literally is guaranteed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Didn't Sky put the table up that we were on 66 points having beaten Bournemouth by 2 goals on Monday? 🤔

Yep exactly that. I bet on Villa to win 2-0 and also a bet on them to win by 2 goals which came in. 

It’s very strange.

30 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What position would we have been in previous seasons on 66 points at this stage? It feels like this should be 3rd rather than 4th typically.

In the years since Leicester won the league, 66 points after 34 games would mainly put you 4th (x4). 3rd (x3) is possible, but not since the Covid season now.

Full List

22/23: 4th (3rd 68pts)

21/22: 4th (3rd 69pts)

20/21: 3rd (Leicester on 63. Man U 2nd 67pts, Chelsea 4th on 61)

19/20: 3rd (Chelsea on 60. City 2nd 69. Leicester 4th on 59)

18/19: 4th/5th (3rd 70pts)

17/18: 5th (4th 70pts)

16/17: 4th (3rd 68pts)

15/16: 3rd (2nd 68pts)

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

In the years since Leicester won the league, 66 points after 34 games would mainly put you 4th (x4). 3rd (x3) is possible, but not since the Covid season now.

Full List

22/23: 4th (3rd 68pts)

21/22: 4th (3rd 69pts)

20/21: 3rd (Leicester on 63. Man U 2nd 67pts, Chelsea 4th on 61)

19/20: 3rd (Chelsea on 60. City 2nd 69. Leicester 4th on 59)

18/19: 4th/5th (3rd 70pts)

17/18: 5th (4th 70pts)

16/17: 4th (3rd 68pts)

15/16: 3rd (2nd 68pts)

Sidenote: I was surprised to remember Leicester were competitive up until just a couple seasons ago. They were 3rd at this point 3 seasons back (then only got 3 points from 4 games, finished 5th). 8th a season later, then relegated. Madness

5 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere. We've  cancelled out their advantage of Burnley and Sheffield at home with our 6 point advantage.

It's literally down to: Who can take the most points from:

Villa: Chelsea, Brighton, Liverpool, Palace,

Spurs: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City.

Still nervous, but I think we will do this now. I was a little unsure at Christmas and was thinking the season might fade away. But we're in a European semifinal and I think it's like 75-80% chance of getting 4th and Champions League. 

I still have to pinch myself as it's less than four years since we were playing that last game against West Ham with players like Reina, Samatta, Hourihane, Trez and Guilbert. 

I think we will beat both Chelsea and Brighton. And if we do that, I'm sure we will beat Liverpool as well. Last home game of the season, no pressure. This is about psychology as well as quality now. A massive week for us. We've beaten Arsenal, we're through to the semi in Europe and we managed to turn it around yesterday. Our confidence must be sky high right now.