Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Been saying on here for months that football isn't played on paper!

You’ve clearly not played on some of the new astro pitches.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What a transformation after 2 days. Now we are in the driving seat for 4th. 

I’m sure it’ll change hands a couple more times but let’s remember when it does that we can turn it around again!

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

How are we still playing European games and 1 game ahead of everyone else? Have they just had prolonged rest periods?

With injuries and suspensions too. Mad. 

It was also really telling how well our squad players performed today- like Zani and Rogers in particular.  They played really well against a top side in a hostile environment.  Very happy to see given our suspensions and injury issues at the end of the season.

It was also great to see Lenglet and Cash make the bench.  Makes me think they will be available for the 1st11 on Thursday for some much needed rotation- let Cash play RB and Konsa back to CB, etc.  Just an  amazing win by Villa today!  UTV

1 minute ago, ejs1111 said:

It was also really telling how well our squad players performed today- like Zani and Rogers in particular.  They played really well against a top side in a hostile environment.  Very happy to see given our suspensions and injury issues at the end of the season.

It was also great to see Lenglet and Cash make the bench.  Makes me think they will be available for the 1st11 on Thursday for some much needed rotation- let Cash play RB and Konsa back to CB, etc.  Just an  amazing win by Villa today!  UTV

Yeh once Luiz back too the squad will be looking as healthy as he has for a while.

On 08/04/2024 at 10:31, MarkLillis said:

Yes.

Perspective is needed here. However it is difficult considering the media coverage. I listened to Jamie O'Hara  telling us Villa are limping across the line on the way home and giving the audience an impression that Spurs are marching into their rightful 4th place.

As i was listening it did really seem that way at the time too....

But the last five games tell us different story

Villa - DLWDW = 8pts

Spurs - WDWLW = 10pts

Spurs have just overtaken us and stepped into 4th on goal difference yesterday simply due to a mad 10 minutes during a game we have dominated..... otherwise we are still 4th and our current form is exactly the same.

Or flip it and say that Spurs who also had a mad ten minutes at home to Forest actually concede a couple more and go 3-1 down before they comeback. If you had watched the match you will know it could have happened.

The fine margins involved here do not require such wailing and gnashing of teeth. It is football...its how it goes and will continue to go until the last match of the season.

Just one week later

Villa WDLWDW = 11pts

Spurs LWDWLW = 10pts

What limp Jamie….can’t hear you? Speak up.

Edited by MarkLillis

9 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

How are we still playing European games and 1 game ahead of everyone else? Have they just had prolonged rest periods?

West Ham too. I think getting knocked out of cup competitions early kind of helped us. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think it’s because we went out of the domestic cups early - but could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can hear CVB moving the goalposts from here

Pretty sure the goal difference against Spurs was already a lost cause. We’re ****. 

• Like 1