Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So much can happen between now and the end of the season with form, injuries, winning and losing runs, lucky and unlucky score lines along with surprising results.  

There are very few easy games these days and slip ups can and will happen and it if was purely down to league position or team strength then there would be no point playing any individual fixture.

You have forgotten to mention teams fighting relegation can fight for their lives, Teams already relegated can have the pressure taken off and play well, and other teams can be on the beach looking forward to next year.

As you say there are no easy predictions. It is however getting close to the time when points on the board generally out way potential points to be earnt. We at the moment have those points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

BNxzVUi.png

Throw in our games against Lille and possibly semi finals and this is going to be some job for Unai. 

Unless we completely shit the bed before April starts I'm still not concerned about United, if we can just get motoring again we'll be more than fine. 2024 has been a bit up and down trying to gather momentum. 

Tbh the only guaranteed wins there for United are Burnley and Sheffield United at home. Other than that they could easily slip up in many of the other games.

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

BNxzVUi.png

Throw in our games against Lille and possibly semi finals and this is going to be some job for Unai. 

Unless we completely shit the bed before April starts I'm still not concerned about United, if we can just get motoring again we'll be more than fine. 2024 has been a bit up and down trying to gather momentum. 

At first glance I think

Villa 13 points

Spurs 18 points (Chelsea game included)

Utd 14 points

Enough for 5th.. which I believe will mean Champions League 

Edited by PeterSw

Thing is Spurs and Utd are more likely to lose fixtures they are meant to win, and get the odd result they maybe shouldn’t - we have been (mostly) consistent at winning when we should, and getting something when maybe less favourites - footballs a funny old game, I’m fairly confident we will be losing our singing voices by the end of the season UTV

• Like 3

6 hours ago, zak said:

don't really know how they got from the 88.1% to 82.5% but here's what they say!

So deffo wasn't an ideal draw

As I said earlier. Disaster draw for English. Probably not even possible to hand pick a worse draw. A better draw would have made it 90%+

We just needed any shred of **** luck. The entire year 2024 has been terrible so far. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

As I said earlier. Disaster draw for English. Probably not even possible to hand pick a worse draw. A better draw would have made it 90%+

We just needed any shred of **** luck. The entire year 2024 has been terrible so far. 

Not an ideal draw but it's still significantly more than likely that England get the extra spot and you keep talking like it's not likely anymore. If it happened 10 times, England would get the extra spot 7 and wouldn't 3. That's still very good.

Heap up, we got this

• Like 1

Without replying to everyone who quoted me. I said how bad a draw it was and the stats people would show that whenever they tweeted their numbers. They have. It's as bad as a draw gets. 

If we didn't have a side collapsing entirely, injury and form and the embarrassment of turning Villa Park into th opposite of a fortress. We would all be confident

There's nothing to be confident about. Throwing away Champions League from the position we were in before Christmas is unbearable to think about. Just soul destroying stuff

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's the team slow unbearable downhill demise from the back to back wins over City and Arsenal that's broken me. The loss at Old Trafford from 2-0 up and I knew, this is the moment we'll look back on where it all unravelled

It's been that unravelling slowly but surely that's just unbearable. It's just an inevitable event we have to live through. Slow painful death basically 

I used to be very positive. But sometimes you just know what's going to happen and when it eventually comes to pass. 

Being mid table all season is beyond better than being a win away from top of League at Christmas and then collapsing to 6th. 

I'm a believer.

Mate.

• Like 3

Tough draws, I think there is other way to think of it. Italy will have one team out, with hopefully another if Liverpool made it. So hopefully they will only have two. If Leverkusen won which is likely so they will play Italian team. One of them will go out. Fiorentina draw seems easy but if they went out somehow that would be great for us in the UECL if we made the final and in terms of points. 
Hopefully Dortmund goes out as well which will help as well. 
Lot of stress to be honest, that’s without considering the stress of our League and UECL games! Spurs and Utd games as well.

I remember doing these things on Swansea, Wigan, QPR, Sunderland…etc fixtures. Then Derby, Boro….etc

We’ve made a long way, to start considering big English teams and some relevant European giants!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Farlz said:

BNxzVUi.png

Throw in away to Chelsea in the middle there for Spurs. We have very similar games. Both play Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and City, both play West Ham away, etc. This will definitely go down to the wire you'd imagine. 

• Like 1