Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

We continue playing for 4th. If we are to be disappointed (which let’s face it we usually are) then we’ll finish 5th. Fine. I stick by my prediction of 69 points. 

• Like 1

Hard to feel like we deserve 4th sometimes. The ecstatic highs of beating City and Arsenal back to back are not much cop if we can't take a single point off Yanited, Newcastle, and lose our heads at home to an overall pretty poor Spurs squad (relative to recent seasons).

I'm not even angry today. All the anger sapped out of me after the bizarre 2nd goal, and by the time McGinn was sent off the game already felt like it was over.

We registered one poor shot on target against these lot at home, conceded 4 from 6 shots on goal. That's not top 4.

Two positives still, we are 2 points ahead and they have to play Newcastle, City, Pool and Arse in a row. That could be just 1 or 3 points from 12. 

We are still in the driving seat, we need to improve a bit though cos we were pants today

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves will have all of their forwards missing so they'll just sit in even more. Up to us to force the issue in that, we won't be playing 5atb that's for sure.

Ah I didn't realise they had new injuries. No Neto would be nice.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It’s also not impossible for Spurs to drop points in their game in hand too. There are no certainties. 

Exactly. In mid April Spurs have got games at Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h) and Liverpool (a) in a row - three of them are knee deep in a title fight. They could lose 4 in a row. 

Edited by Xela

16 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Two positives still, we are 2 points ahead and they have to play Newcastle, City, Pool and Arse in a row. That could be just 1 or 3 points from 12. 

We are still in the driving seat, we need to improve a bit though cos we were pants today

They have a game in hand and we also have to play City, Pool and Arse.

The blown opportunity today is really problematic and maybe even pathological. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Hard to feel like we deserve 4th sometimes. The ecstatic highs of beating City and Arsenal back to back are not much cop if we can't take a single point off Yanited, Newcastle, and lose our heads at home to an overall pretty poor Spurs squad (relative to recent seasons).

I'm not even angry today. All the anger sapped out of me after the bizarre 2nd goal, and by the time McGinn was sent off the game already felt like it was over.

We registered one poor shot on target against these lot at home, conceded 4 from 6 shots on goal. That's not top 4.

I think we do as our form over 50 odd games is worthy. 104 points from 52 games before today. Thats Champions League form. 

Still plenty to play for. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just realised Spurs have Newcastle, Arsenal, City and Liverpool in the run in still to play.

We have to play 3 of them

Posted (edited)

Having calmed down a bit we tend to thrive when under the radar. It's unbearable but let's hope the media and everyone else is focused on the spurs Wankfest for now and we just concentrate on what's in front of us. Even if we failed at UCL, you got to admit this has been some incredible ride so far despite the injuries and PGMOL denying us before Xmas. Let's hope the rest step up in the absence of SJM, he will learn from this and also hope he gets his rest and steer us through for the rest of the season, and beyond.

Ps. Would love if we get 4th and we can all do our little own dart throwing celebrations 

Edited by HongKongVillan

If we lose 4th place it'll be our own doing in the coming weeks. Not because of 90 minutes against one team. How we bounce back against Ajax is crucial.

We and Spurs both have to play all of Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool, but what works in our favor is that our fixtures against those top sides are spread our with other in theory easier games inbetween, whereas Spurs have to play them consecutively, which makes a big difference

• Like 3

We have to beat one of City Liverpool or Arsenal. We need 5 wins minimum. 

Today was a big blow psychologically though. Need a statement win against Ajax who are a CL regular up until recently. 

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just realised Spurs have Newcastle, Arsenal, City and Liverpool in the run in still to play.

They don't need to win all of those if they just beat all of Forest, Burnley and Luton at home and Sheffield United away. That's 65 points right there so that's the problem with losing today.

Hopefully Fulham can dig in and get at least a point off them next weekend, no one gets an easy game at Craven Cottage.

26 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They have a game in hand and we also have to play City, Pool and Arse.

The blown opportunity today is really problematic and maybe even pathological. 

Yeah I get who we have to play, but they are playing them in a row. We have them spread out a bit. Deffo a missed opportunity though and we've had a few of them already 

• Like 1