Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Have we been able to put out that eleven since that game/Arsenal win?

Torres got injured next game at Brentford but Bailey was rested

• Like 1

Our form has long suggested a result like last night was a matter of time. I thought we’d get well beaten in the cup by Chelsea (which we should have been by ht), it it’s just a shame it came against Newcastle at home. 

If we continue to play like we are, we’ll do well to finish in the top 7 quite frankly. At what point does a bad run of form no longer become form and more the ‘norm’? It’s bizarre we can play fast, free flowing football like we did against City and against Newcastle at home last season but now we’re reverting to this timid, slow approach play. 

There’s nothing ‘I told you so’ about this post. We’ve been rubbish since we scored against Arsenal and it’s only a matter of time before we drop down the league. It’s all very obvious. 

Edited by Delphinho123

I’ve just gone through all our games we’ve played and imo we’ve been average or not very good in half of them win lose or draw. Our home form really put us up there this season. I look at games where we had chance to kick on but bottled it and going 2.0 up at United really hurt losing the game. What I will say though is that we’ve gained just as many  points being lucky than we have losing points that we should have got .I don’t think we complain too much where we are at. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our form has long suggested a result like last night was a matter of time. I thought we’d get well beaten in the cup by Chelsea (which we should have been by ht), it it’s just a shame it came against Newcastle at home. 

If we continue to play like we are, we’ll do well to finish in the top 7 quite frankly. At what point does a bad run of form no longer become form and more the ‘norm’? It’s bizarre we can play fast, free flowing football like we did against City and against Newcastle at home last season but now we’re reverting to this timid, slow approach play. 

There’s nothing ‘I told you so’ about this post. We’ve been rubbish since we scored against Arsenal and it’s only a matter of time before we drop down the league. It’s all very obvious. 

Well, there’s a patronising tone in this final sentence. Up until then you were doing ok.

• Like 3

Anyway we move on but Sheffield United while not season defining is definitely a bigger game now.

We actually need a really good performance plus a win

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Anyway we move on but Sheffield United while not season defining is definitely a bigger game now.

We actually need a really good performance plus a win

Would you say it's a must win? 

25 minutes ago, YLN said:

Would you say it's a must win? 

Villa must win some matches between now and the end of the season in order to finish 4th, 5th, 6th or even 7th (and lower).

So by that rationale there are “must win” games. But I don’t know if any one game is.

If Villa lose to Sheffield United but win the other 15 games, then no, Sheffield United isn’t a must win game.

But to reduce the must win-ness of other games, beating Sheffield United would help.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

58 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve just gone through all our games we’ve played and imo we’ve been average or not very good in half of them win lose or draw. Our home form really put us up there this season. I look at games where we had chance to kick on but bottled it and going 2.0 up at United really hurt losing the game. What I will say though is that we’ve gained just as many  points being lucky than we have losing points that we should have got .I don’t think we complain too much where we are at. 

Sheffield and that Utd game definitely look like big turning points for the season 

Too passive and slow at times. Missing some key names, but the midfield, especially Luiz need to massively up their game. Lenglet and Cash are major drop offs in quality for Ezri. Unai can turn it around, but we need to be on the front foot more when playing out from the back. Form always drops, but there’s enough quality in the side to turn it around. 

• Like 1

Where's all the goals gone that we used to score, that's a worry. Also Man U was the **** up, anyone thinking this is the on;y piss poor loss.

Beyond injuries I personally I think we have been worked out. Watch that first Liverpool game, an it'll tell you all how to play against us. I'm no coach, but it looks as though, "defend, defend, balls over the top for the runners, prioritise your set pieces and it's 3 points to the opposition, too easy, unless we turn on the pace, which is something Emery doesn't seem to want to do.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sounds pretty “I told you so” if you ask me. Besides the reverse is also true. When did our great form become “the norm”? Form comes and goes. We are in a shit period but we won’t be here forever. We probably will finish 6-7th because that’s where we belong. We were massively over achieving and couldn’t keep that up. If we are actually allowed to strengthen in the summer by the powers that be we can start thinking about top 4. 

• Like 1

What is so confusing is the players look tired and jaded every time they step out on to the pitch, sometimes they even look uninterested. We played with more energy, interest and intensity earlier on in the season on a Sunday after playing in Europe on a Thursday, which is baffling. 

I understood the tiredness over Christmas, we'd had a lot of games in December and not much rest. We should have our energy levels back by now, we've only played 2 league games in January and we got a 2 week rest. Even after the cup game against Chelsea that was played on a Friday and we had 4 days rest, Newcastle only had 3 days rest but looked far more energetic than we did yesterday. 

If we end up falling away to 6th or 7th, then it's Gregory and O'Neill flashbacks all over again. You'd like to think Unai is better than them, but he's been found out just like they were and needs to do something about it before it's too late. 

Are we looking at a drop off due to the squad? There are a few areas without competition and some players are guaranteed to start. I think we need a kick up the arse, so am hoping the likes of Rogers or returning players are able to do that - or we'll drift further.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Some big players need to share the responsibility. The issues aren’t just tactical.

Like playing 5 a side as a ringer with a team that gets pumped 10 nil. Pisses me off but some just there for the social aspect. Feels like some of our players are dialing it in. 

The VaR decision against Sheff Utd

And the collapse at Old Trafford seem to have knocked the wind out of us.

I trust the manager to steady things. I also feel the onus is on players to probe they are good enough. We always seem to get this sort of thing once media start focusing on how good we are and that for me is the most disappointing thing.

Edited by Captain_Townsend