Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

People dismissing new competitions is a tale as old as sport. They did it with the Ryder Cup in golf, now that’s huge. They did it with our early League Cup wins, now our record in that trophy is a proud achievement. You just have to see which ones stand the test of time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

People dismissing new competitions is a tale as old as sport. They did it with the Ryder Cup in golf, now that’s huge. They did it with our early League Cup wins, now our record in that trophy is a proud achievement. You just have to see which ones stand the test of time.

Small heath did it with the football league, FA Cup and all European competition. 

6 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

The most likely result is that Fenerbahce will beat Basaksehir in the Turkish cup. Even if they don’t it would take an extremely unfortunate set of results for us not to be seeded.

In any scenario, the only team I would fear on that list is Juventus.

Thinking the same but I’m also thinking knowing Villas luck we’d get drawn with Juventus!

16 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Because I think it's smalltime to celebrate conference league.

Trying to raise the standards.

We like to label ourselves a massive club then we need to act like it.

What's your definition of a massive club? Cos if it's trophies and CL qualification then we've not been a 'massive' club for years and years.

IMO we're a big club because of our history, stadium, fanbase, facilities etc. Also by just being in the PL for so many seasons.

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Thinking the same but I’m also thinking knowing Villas luck we’d get drawn with Juventus!

Honestly I’d be fine with that, we want to play good European sides, and that’s what we’d be doing. The play off is an extra European game which we’ve sadly been lacking for over a decade. 
Bring on any team, any time! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd love to draw Juventus in the play-off.

I'd rather meet them in the final.    

Let's make sure we get to the group stage with no slip-ups (like with Stevenage).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Big night tonight, all eyes on the Romanian Liga 1: UECL play-off. Come on U Craiova 1948 whoever you are!

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would care about the outcome of a Romanian football match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'd love to draw Juventus in the play-off.

Can’t imagine the stress before that game, I really hope we play the worse teams up until the final. Don’t want any big team to face. We just need the cup with the less stress and effort possible. What’s the point of playing Juventus and going out? I wanted us to get 7th rather than 5th because of such draws. 

Same with domestic cups, the easiest routes are the best. Although we have to capitalize. We’re not winning cups every year to start looking for tough challenges. We need to win things while we can, the odd result will not be remembered with the whole thing.

On 31/05/2023 at 16:34, Pinebro said:

Because I think it's smalltime to celebrate conference league.

Trying to raise the standards.

We like to label ourselves a massive club then we need to act like it.

It shows how starved of success this club has been for such a long time. We never used to celebrate finishing 2nd or 4th in years gone by. Only winning the league in 81