Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

No issue with commercial success  whatsoever. We need it! Badly!

However, I'm not sure we have to just tolerate being treated like idiots as part of the process. And that is what has happened since end of last season with total B.S reasons for decisions around the ditching the new  2022badge, changes to the plan for the stadium etc. Just be more upfront- we stood by the club when it was on its knees, we deserve better.

Yawn 

• Like 2

The issue we've got is I'm not sure there's a club we can compare the value of his deals to.

Newcastle's are inflated due to related parties. The other teams in the champs league next season will all be clubs that have been in it for most of the last 2 decades. The rest of the scum 6 that dont qualify are living off sustained recent historic form. And then you've got West Ham or Leciester as clubs that recently managed a season of success, but since then haven't pushed on or have gone significantly backwards. 

Looking Newcastle is about the closest to us, and what Newcastle scammed from their owners businesses, I'd say he's done an ok job with the contacts. Nothing exceptional.

It was easy for him to escape the Castore contract after their shambles with this year's kit. It was presumably fairly easy to negotiate a deal with Adidas with Nas' links. The shirt and sleeve sponsorship deals may have been a challenging get out without penalties (assuming they hadn't run their course) so fair play on those, but the value he's got isn't anything more than I'd expect given the exposure they'll get from us next season.

Yes, you can say he could never win.. well he could. He could have matched Newcastle's deals, and I'd have been impressed. He could have not launched a review of a badge that was totally fine and seemingly replaced it with a worse version of the crap badge we had before it, or done so and replaced it with something better. He could have communicated the cancellation of the north stand far more clearly and honestly, and had the website updated so it didn't still imply we were going ahead with it. He could have communicated honestly what was going on with the badge. He could have communicated the situation with the GA+ situation impacting holte season ticket holders earlier.

There is plenty he could have done to get me on side, but the good things he has done just aren't that impressive to me. Maybe I'm under estimating how difficult it was to sell us to Betano or how key he was to the Atairos deal. The jury of my opinion on him remains out.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, est1874 said:

Say what you want about his alleged behaviour and attitude, not unlikely but nonetheless unproven so far:

He was brought in with a clear mandate by NSWE to improve our financial standing and generate more revenue for the club, and he is doing that.

He's also got the right posture about breaking the cabal at the top, whether people consider them the big 6, the sky 6, the top 4 or however else people want to group / label them.

We are here to disrupt and he is a disrupter and despite a rocky start on the PR / fan engagement front (which I admit cannot be ignored or disregarded), he is getting the principle job done that he was employed to do.

He's done a superb job so far. He's head of Business Operations and has gone out and just got us over double our sponsorship revenue in 11 months. Closing the commercial revenue gap to the big 6 is the key thing the club has to do off the pitch to help sustain the top tier football department we have. 

The brand launch coming, plus the 150 years give us an opportunity to get even more exposure. The timing for a documentary on us is ripe and that's income and exposure.

How we grow matchday revenue is the next big step. There needs to be a better fan experience and transport to have people come to ground earlier and leave later. It's how to grow the overall revenue and experience.

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

I’m thinking he is more CCO - Chief Commercial Officer.

But then who is the CEO and COO of Aston Villa?  

He surely isn’t combining all three roles?

Nassef is Executive Chairman. That is when the role of CEO is combined with Chairman. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

No issue with commercial success  whatsoever. We need it! Badly!

However, I'm not sure we have to just tolerate being treated like idiots as part of the process. And that is what has happened since end of last season with total B.S reasons for decisions around the ditching the new  2022badge, changes to the plan for the stadium etc. Just be more upfront- we stood by the club when it was on its knees, we deserve better.

I agree with this but as long as l they are selling seats, merchandise and more importantly for them corporate deals I doubt they really care. Unfortunately just how it is. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to have done a good job in increasing our sponsor deals with Adidas & Betano (with the help of Nas Adidas connections and Emery on pitch performances) while also have done a poor job in communicating/explaining the 180 on the stadium rebuild & the badge re-brand re-branding saga (with perhaps a shoddy hand from Purslow) and the comical (subjective) AV150 logo launch no launch?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Is it possible to have done a good job in increasing our sponsor deals with Adidas & Betano (with the help of Nas Adidas connections and Emery on pitch performances) while also have done a poor job in communicating/explaining the 180 on the stadium rebuild & the badge re-brand re-branding saga (with perhaps a shoddy hand from Purslow) and the comical (subjective) AV150 logo launch no launch?

No, there are only binary outcomes, you love or hate him. Only 2 choices

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sne said:

No, it's not possible. He is either a messiah or a fraud. That is the Villa way. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

No, there are only binary outcomes, you love or hate him. Only 2 choices

Then I pick chocolate

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with this but as long as l they are selling seats, merchandise and more importantly for them corporate deals I doubt they really care. Unfortunately just how it is. 

I think our fans need to get used to the fact we are not the target audience for people like Heck.

We are now an inconvenient customer and opinions about badges or stands will be mainly ignored by the club

• Like 3

• Villa will have new front-of-shirt sponsor and kit supplier next season
  • Stadium redevelopment includes addition of 1,500 premium seats this summer
  • ‘Couple of other clubs’ looking to challenge Premier League’s established powers, says Heck

Aston Villa have more than doubled the value of key sponsorship deals for next season, with the club ready to “kick the door down” as they bid to disrupt the Premier League’s ‘big six’.

Speaking on day two of SportsPro Live at London’s Kia Oval, Villa’s president of business operations Chris Heck said the club had spent the best part of a year identifying new partners, including a kit supplier and front of shirt and sleeve sponsorships.

As a result, Villa will kick off the 2024/25 campaign with betting brand Betano as their new front-of-shirt sponsor in a club-record deal reportedly worth UK£40 million (US$49.8 million) over two years.

Trading platform Trade Nation, meanwhile, inked a multi-year pact reportedly worth UK£2 million (US$2.5 million) a season to become the Villans’ sleeve partner last June, while Adidas is expected to replace Castore as kit supplier in a long-term, multimillion-pound agreement.

Villa’s ambitious ownership wants the club regularly competing for a spot in the Uefa Champions League and, with the men’s team currently on course to qualify for next season’s competition, intends to close the commercial gap on established powers Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.  

“What we’ve done in 11 months, we’ve cleared up a lot of, let’s say, not great contracts,” said Heck (pictured above). “We have reinvented ourselves. We will be launching the next generation of our brand coming up in a few weeks. We have doubled our front-of-shirt deal, plus we have doubled our sleeve deal, plus we have doubled our kit deal. 

“The big six is who we’re chasing and, quite frankly, we’re ready to kick the door down.”

Heck added that money would continue to be spent on redeveloping Villa Park in order to generate more revenue at the stadium and enhance the fan experience.

“We’re spending a lot of money and capital expenses to renovate and rebuild and add on to Villa Park, which was built originally in 1897 so we have some work to do,” he said. “But we have this incredible building and this incredible opportunity to generate new revenue, and we see it through premium seating.

“Our core fanbase, our general admission ticket, we would like to give them a better experience, a grander experience without giving them the option to purchase more things but by changing their standard routine. So if that means keeping the prices similar to what they are then so be it.

“Our focus is on premium spaces. We have grand plans to add well over 1,000, closer to 1,500 seats this summer, that are premium seating in products at Villa Park. So that’s where we’re generating our revenue from our core fanbase by offering new things to purchase, as opposed to mandating a new purchase.”

Villa’s quest to qualify for the Champions League, which has included heavy investment in the playing squad on both transfers and wages, contributed to a loss of UK£119.6 million (US$148.8 million) for the 2022/23 financial period, though the club has said the figures are ‘in line with the strategic business plan’ and within the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules (PSR).

The top flight’s current financial rules are set to be phased out by the season after next, with clubs discussing a move towards a new system based on squad cost to revenue ratios, similar to Uefa’s financial sustainability regulations (FSR).

Regardless of how the new rules take shape, Heck said that the Premier League’s perennial heavyweights have effectively “had a head start” to establish themselves at the top of the food chain before financial regulations were tightened. Even so, he believed there were several clubs looking to challenge the established order.

“I’m hoping they get really lazy because there’s a couple of other clubs that are looking to bust through,” added Heck. “I would say to the big six don’t look over your shoulder but there’s a couple coming.”

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So improving the overall experience and keeping prices where they are now while adding in 1000 to 1500 additional Premium seating and Premium Spaces. Sounds good

9 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Heck seems to hint at redevelopment of VP too.

Only in terms of adding 1.500 extra Premium seats. Which is fine for now. I still expect Atarios to come out with much much bigger plans in due course.

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So improving the overall experience and keeping prices where they are now while adding in 1000 to 1500 additional Premium seating and Premium Spaces. Sounds good

Sounds like he's learnt from the experiences of the Terrace View and lower grounds. He knows there's a majority core that will not budge, but there are those that will upgrade for premium on occasion or as a means of getting in. And there are going to be more wanting to get in next season.

So if the only option is a premium seat, people may well be ok with that.

Recogisng that the core needs to improve (yes it was obvious but he's now said publicly that he'll do something about it) is good too.

Another step in the right direction Mr Heck. Keep them coming. And please make the next one a badge that isn't what's been trademarked.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Only in terms of adding 1.500 extra Premium seats. Which is fine for now. I still expect Atarios to come out with much much bigger plans in due course.

These premium seats will come from converted GA seats. They can't magically create 1500 new seats.

• Like 1

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

These premium seats will come from converted GA seats. They can't magically create 1500 new seats.

I'm not sure. Didn't Heck previously say they are increasing the total capacity of the ground as well by 1000-2000 seats.   So it seems logical that the extra capacity is the premium seats. 

No idea how though!  One for the redevelopment thread.

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

He's on record more than once saying the capacity will be increased by 1500 to 2700 additional seats. 

Â