Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

23 minutes ago, allani said:

I don't understand why NSWE hired a President of Business Operations.  It's obvious that new, bigger contracts would just have fallen into their laps anyway without a PBO.  They'd have been better off without wasting money on a salary and relocating someone from another country.  To be honest they could probably have got someone in on work experience and just asked them to forward on the new contracts when the postman delivered them to reception.  We probably don't need a manager either - the players should be good enough to know what they are doing - most / all of them are internationals.  How hard is it to kick a ball around a pitch and then get someone to kick it into the net (hopefully at the right end of the pitch).  The last manager was so bad that of course Emery was going to score more points than him - most of those points gained are just down to the fact that the last guy was useless.  So that's more money that could be saved.  We don't really need scouts either - just read through the suggestions made on some of the fan sites - these guys watch a load of football and can back up all their suggestions with great stats from fbref and inside information on what transfer fee their club's will demand and what wages the player will want.  I mean that's probably at least another 10 salaries that we could save straight away.

Satirically summarised most of the thoughts I've wanted to, but refrained from expressing, to add to this cycle of " That's my story and I'm sticking to it  no.matter what " 🤦🏾‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's an argument about how good a job he's doing, but he's hear to raise incomes and incomes are rising - I don't think you can say he's doing a bad job and he's at least doing okay and probably a little better than that.

He's here to make us money, not happy.

This. If Villa don't find a ways to expand revenue as dramatically our club's football has improved, the project will eventually run low on petrol. We've got to get the revenues up and up and up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allani said:

I don't understand why NSWE hired a President of Business Operations.  It's obvious that new, bigger contracts would just have fallen into their laps anyway without a PBO.  They'd have been better off without wasting money on a salary and relocating someone from another country.  To be honest they could probably have got someone in on work experience and just asked them to forward on the new contracts when the postman delivered them to reception.  We probably don't need a manager either - the players should be good enough to know what they are doing - most / all of them are internationals.  How hard is it to kick a ball around a pitch and then get someone to kick it into the net (hopefully at the right end of the pitch).  The last manager was so bad that of course Emery was going to score more points than him - most of those points gained are just down to the fact that the last guy was useless.  So that's more money that could be saved.  We don't really need scouts either - just read through the suggestions made on some of the fan sites - these guys watch a load of football and can back up all their suggestions with great stats from fbref and inside information on what transfer fee their club's will demand and what wages the player will want.  I mean that's probably at least another 10 salaries that we could save straight away.

wow-sarcasm.gif

• Like 1

Heck is the President of Business Operations at V Sports; I suspect a good chunk of time is focused on V Sports' subsidiary Aston Villa. And in turn, likely a lot of this time is spent on alleviating the fears of the fashionistas at Villa Talk. 

He's not here to win any popularity contests that's for sure and that's probably why he's here tbh, to deflect some of the criticism on some difficult decisions that will have to be made.

• Like 1

It's a culture war here.

Some of us can see the badge issue has been a dogs dinner, the comms have been absolutely pathetic, and the drips and drabs on the future of Villa Park leave more questions than answeres while others have determined this man is a genius and mere villa fans couldn't possibly have a valid opinion compared to the confident American in a suit.

We have been top 7 two years in a row, on an upward trajectory and in with a good chance of CL football. Of course we are getting better deals now than we were 2-3 years ago when we had emerged from a 3 year stint in the second tier, had survived a winding up order. And were trying to get established on the top flight. 

Demand better for this club. We are in our 150th year and lwe

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's not here to win any popularity contests that's for sure and that's probably why he's here tbh, to deflect some of the criticism on some difficult decisions that will have to be made.

Is he…

is he…

wait for it…

a

Spoiler

SCAPEGOAT

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's a culture war here.

Some of us can see the badge issue has been a dogs dinner, the comms have been absolutely pathetic, and the drips and drabs on the future of Villa Park leave more questions than answeres while others have determined this man is a genius and mere villa fans couldn't possibly have a valid opinion compared to the confident American in a suit.

We have been top 7 two years in a row, on an upward trajectory and in with a good chance of CL football. Of course we are getting better deals now than we were 2-3 years ago when we had emerged from a 3 year stint in the second tier, had survived a winding up order. And were trying to get established on the top flight. 

Demand better for this club. We are in our 150th year and lwe

I’m somewhere in the middle… more of a “let’s wait and see”… don’t have too strong of an opinion on the guy yet… there’s a lot for him to do before he can be judged properly imo.

I do agree that the badge process has been a farce and the lack of communication and delay is poor but… let’s wait for the reveal then we can critique what he’s done and decided on properly…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is he…

is he…

wait for it…

a

Reveal hidden contents

SCAPEGOAT

I thought it was going to say C***sucker.

OK, let me go this far. He has been here 11 months and he has made some big calls and they have proved very divisive.

Unai Emery has been transformative on the pitch. He has changed the culture of the club. He has taught us to be patient by reaching out and bringing us with him and we see the results. No more groans of 'get it forward' etc.

Maybe Mr Heck could have done more to bring us with him instead of handling it the way he has.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

Yeah absolutely. It'll be are stadium revenues through the roof? Yes. Are fans annoyed with increased prices? Yes too. But is the stadium still full? Also yes = Heck success

• Like 1

Also it's difficult with regards to increased prices etc. but what villa are offering now is an elite tier product, we're the 4th best team in the best league currently, probably in the top 20 best teams in the world at the moment, in the world's most popular sport. That's not going to come cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

OK, let me go this far. He has been here 11 months and he has made some big calls and they have proved very divisive.

Unai Emery has been transformative on the pitch. He has changed the culture of the club. He has taught us to be patient by reaching out and bringing us with him and we see the results. No more groans of 'get it forward' etc.

Maybe Mr Heck could have done more to bring us with him instead of handling it the way he has.

I do wonder whether people's view of Heck would have been different had he been able to announce the Atairos / Adidas / Betano / new shirt sleeve sponsor (if that has also been tied up) first.  My gut feel is that the NS redevelopment will prove to be a good / the right decision when we can review the new / updated plans for the development of the stadium and so that will ultimately disappear as an issue.  The comms probably weren't the best but there could be a reason(s) for that in terms of what the club could / could not say.  I think he'd have probably been given more of the benefit of doubt if that had come after announcing big revenue stream improvements (without putting words in your mouth or anyone else's - a lot of the objections seemed to be that it would impact badly on match-day revenues and so if we'd shown how we could make up numbers elsewhere maybe that wouldn't have been as much as a concern?). 

Which leaves the badge issue - which I think was always going to be divisive.  I know I am in the minority but I really, really dislike the "new" round badge - IMO it is just so generic, bland and anonymous.  I also don't like the yellow on light blue of the Lerner and leaked designs which is also hugely flawed.  I don't want to underplay its significance but at the same time the merits / issues of the two designs have been / are being debated in full on other threads and so I don't want to repeat them here.  The mistake I think Heck / the club made here was that he / they really needed to come out and better explain why he / they felt that the badge wasn't fit for purpose, acknowledge that he / they understood why fans might feel aggrieved about having to change something that they'd voted for and to engage fans better in exploring the best way of proceeding.  As it is I think it's created a lot of antagonism that could have been, if not eliminated, better mitigated.

I think your final point hits the nail on the head perfectly.

• Like 2

Thanks mate, I appreciate you engaging with me on it. It's all well and good people saying new fans are more important than traditional fans but it is the traditional fans who are there when you are sitting 13th in the Championship and it doesn't sit well with me how things have been handled on the badge and the stadium. 

As of right now, for example, we can't be sure what the vision for Villa Park is at a time of growth for the club. It seems there is more premium seating on the way, presumably, in place of current GA seating.

If Heck wants to start afresh he should do a comprehensive interview at the end of the season and no more flippant "Oh we're not doing that now" type comments about big item issues that impact the future of the club and the capacity for fans like me to attend games.

Edit: I also would advise against throwing shade on Purslow's legacy. Purslow was hired in our third season ad a Championship club and undoubtedly left things better than he found them.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's a culture war here.

That’s an interesting observation. I think I’m an expert on the UK-US dual national experience, but it never fails to surprise me how much English and American people actually secretly admire each other — but how neither seem to imagine the other feeling the same way. 😉😁

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That’s an interesting observation. I think I’m an expert on the UK-US dual national experience, but it never fails to surprise me how much English and American people actually secretly admire each other — but how neither seem to imagine the other feeling the same way. 😉😁

Hey man, I didn't mean it like that. I meant  anybody in a suit- it was sloppy wording and I will edit it.

Also, I'm not British myself, I am Irish!

• Like 1

Â