Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 10

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think despite the temptation to be more attacking, Unai will go with the midfield maestro lineup. Get Cash back in as Young has finally looked his age the past few matches.

Spurs aren't exactly a very rehearsed team. They've got Kane/Son/Kulusevski that can punish you in an instant, but I don't think they're going to be breaking down a low or mid block with any consistency. They've gone back to 3 at the back since the Newcastle debacle so we need to take advantage of one of those wingbacks bombing on in transition.

Don't think we have the players needed to make up the GD for this match but I'll take the 3 points in what I think will be a bit of a dull match. Villa will want to keep numbers back so they're not caught out with Son running free at the back post and Spurs aren't a high pressing team either. Much like the reverse fixture away, a slow chess match with a lack of concentration leading to the opener.

I think they will see a point as enough and given how we've struggled against teams that drop deep I'd expect them to do just that. Give us the ball but make it difficult for us and back their attacking players to hit us on the break. 

Will be interesting to see how that works out. 

The golden rule of PL (especially under Emery) still holds. First goal wins. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think they will see a point as enough and given how we've struggled against teams that drop deep I'd expect them to do just that. Give us the ball but make it difficult for us and back their attacking players to hit us on the break. 

Will be interesting to see how that works out. 

The golden rule of PL (especially under Emery) still holds. First goal wins. 

Agreed. Issue with that midfield maestro lineup is that we can’t compete on crosses so everything from Moreno and whoever is on the right will be crossing low in the box. 

Im sure Unai is aware and won’t commit too many forward even if they cede possession to us. 

Might be a case of Mr Luiz with a set piece again. 

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Tottenham like to play an expansive game, and with Kane and son thats dangerous....hence we lose so much to them at home.

I wish Kane and Son would go and play for an other club! 😬 Then we might actually finally beat Spurs at home. I know Son has had a poor season overall by his high standards but he'll probably play a blinder tomorrow knowing our luck. 😠

In the interview with Tyrone on the official site, they showed a video of training in which Mings passed to Carlos in centre defence who then passed on to Konsa at RB. 

Detective Don, at your service.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Must be our worst home run v team given the Man. United hoodoo thankfully ended in November. Beat all of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea at VP in 20/21 season. Man. City is another poor one but most teams in league can say that nowadays, we beat them in Jan 2011 aswell.

Beat City at VP in 2013 too (the Weimann goal from the photo), so a good 5 years more recently than Spurs. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Beat City at VP in 2013 too (the Weimann goal from the photo), so a good 5 years more recently than Spurs. 

That game was sooo good! I remember it very well still, Andi thanks so much for that special cheeky winning goal that day.  : >

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

In the interview with Tyrone on the official site, they showed a video of training in which Mings passed to Carlos in centre defence who then passed on to Konsa at RB. 

Detective Don, at your service.

Carlos is starting 100%, think that sub cameo at Wolves was preparation and he had a good half hour there so should be good for an hour in this one. Think it's vital we can switch play quickly as the space behind Porro is where we can win the game.

Is Cash fit again? Think he'll be on the bench and will be the option for last part of the game with his energy.

Tomorrow will probably be the strongest bench we've had all season in terms of decent options. Coutinho was an unused sub last weekend and he played really well v Spurs last season so if it's still open and end to end I have a feeling he might do something significant if he gets 20-25 minutes. And if we're winning then Donk will be fine to put on to close out the game.

Huge game today for us.

But lets not forget how big a game it is for Spurs as well, could have big financial implications for them too and their recruitment over the next year. Will be tougher than it looked about 3-4 weeks ago.

That said, we are due a result against them. Was it last time out we battered them but still lost 0-4!!. Son, what a player when he is on song.

UTV

8 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Huge game today for us.

But lets not forget how big a game it is for Spurs as well, could have big financial implications for them too and their recruitment over the next year. Will be tougher than it looked about 3-4 weeks ago.

That said, we are due a result against them. Was it last time out we battered them but still lost 0-4!!. Son, what a player when he is on song.

UTV

It was a ridiculous result. We owe them one at Villa Park for sure. 

I just wish we had a better option than Bailey or Traore to mix it up in the attacking front line. 

I'd be tempted to play Duran as he's a total unknown at this point but I do worry he is over trying when he has had minutes and would end up sent off. 

Hopefully Spurs will be more open than Wolves were and we can get Ollie back in the goals. We've not scored many lately and that's a bit of a worry. 

I'm just glad we still have a glimmer of European footy to play for, or this would be a game we'd roll over in and go through the motions. 

I'm going for an optimistic 2-1 win. Watkins and JJ to bag. 

Really glad to have the injured players back.

I think I’d start Bouba and if he’s fit I’d start Cash too but I can see Konsa going to RB and Carlos starting in the middle. 

Anyway 3 points needed. No looking forward to another Kane flop show. 

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

4-0 Villa.

Buendia, Traore, Bailey, Son (OG)  

Seriously, it would be great to improve GD, but the key is "JUST WIN THIS"  period !  I don't care if UE only starts 7 players with Bailey in goal.  Just win.