Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 10

Demitri_C

This remains a huge game for us.

As I said in the Europe threat, that pursuit isn't dead although it's a long shot now.

But lose this and we could easily sleepwalk to five straight defeats to end the season and we really don't want that.

I hope the crowd are up for it, the players deserve our backing to sign off on a high after their efforts since Unai came in.

• Like 3

I didn't expect us to get more than 1 win from the remaining 4 games, but this is the one I thought we actually would. 

However, we are looking so off the pace and have done for a while now since our herculean efforts in the 10 game run.

We have to go for it as we cannot finish above Spurs if we don't win this, but that will play into their hands with Kane and Son bound to cause us problems.

I'll go for an entertaining 2-2 draw. A point that may prove vital in finishing 8th rather than 9th. Which would be disappointing after all that's happened.

Incredibly frustrating result yesterday and a real missed opportunity. Despite the result, there were a few positives which influence my lineup below. The players that came off the bench give me cause for optimism. Seeing Carlos especially shows how much a comfortable ball playing CB is important to how we want to play. Until Cash is fully up to speed, playing Konsa at right full back for a couple of games will release Moreno more down the left and effectively turn us into a back three when attacking:

Martinez

Konsa       Carlos           Mings       Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                       Buendia

Bailey      
                                 Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Young, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Coutinho, Traore, Duran 

Massive game. If we can recreate the Newcastle atmosphere then perhaps we’ll see a similar performance from the players? Going to be optimistic and say a narrow win and keep the European dream alive. 2-1 win. UTV

Edited by ferguson1

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Oh and this is on a train strike day folks.

Also to add, there was a sign on M6 yesterday saying full weekend closure of J4, J5 and J6 for next weekend. Which has thrown a spanner into my travel arrangements from Leicestershire. 😟

Any suggestions appreciated.

It's a tough decision on the back four, and whether to go with Young or move Konsa over, but I think I'd stick with Young for this one.

---------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Young---------Konsa---------MIngs---------Moreno

-------------------Luiz------------Kamara------------------

--------McGinn---------------------Ramsey--------------

-----------Buendia--------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Watkins--------------------------

Subs:  Olsen, Carlos, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Bailey, Coutinho, Traore, Duran 

• Like 1

I do wonder if Konsa can play RB, a bit like Ben White, thus allowing Carlos to come in next to Mings?  This in turn would allow Moreno to get further forward and make a more solid back three when in possession.  Arsenal do this brilliantly allowing Zinchenko to basically become a winger. Be interesting to see if Emery likes this idea for the last three games?

Cash should hopefully be back for this so would bring him in, Young has been a great professional filling in but don't think I'd start him for the rest of the season, his legs are showing his age now. Kamara will hopefully be ready to start and I'd be tempted to drop Ramsey for Bailey or Coutinho just to try something different following two defeats. 

Martinez 

Cash Konsa Mings Moreno

Kamara Luiz

SJM Buendia Bailey

Watkins

On 07/05/2023 at 11:39, NeilS said:

Also to add, there was a sign on M6 yesterday saying full weekend closure of J4, J5 and J6 for next weekend. Which has thrown a spanner into my travel arrangements from Leicestershire. 😟

Any suggestions appreciated.

I think the closures are 9pm to 6am.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cridontour said:

I think the closures are 9pm to 6am.

Ah ok, that is a relief. The signs didn’t specify times, probably not enough characters to explain fully. I was trying to find some info on it yesterday but no luck. Thank you.

IMHO,just enjoy the ride.It seems like a lifetime ago.....BUT....when U.E.took over,the remit was.Avoid relegation and "try" to finish in the top half.Anything after finishing above 10th is/should be a bonus.

• Like 1

I'd expect good changes for this one. Kamara to start. Konsa at RB with Carlos in. Emery likes a back 3 in possession and that gives it to him. With the way Bailey and Traore played last time out, I'd even start Coutinho on right wing if he's ready for it. Although maybe 3 changes (4 if you count the Konsa positional change) are too many for one game. If we play the way we played against Wolves and add a bit of urgency up top then we can take them. Just need to try and contain Kane, which seems very difficult these days.

• Like 1

so back four could be 

young, konsa, mings, moreno    OR Konsa, Carlos, mings, moreno   OR  Cash, Konsa, MIngs, Moreno.

I suspect UE will start with the Konsa Carlos option expecting them to play with Mings as a 3 when in possession and push Moreno forward.    If that doesn't work and we need more attacking threat, he'll sub Konsa for Cash and hope something more attacking down our right side will open things up for us.  

I don't care how he does it, I just want us to unlock Spurs.  I want to play Brighton with Europe on the line.  What a day that would be !!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

so back four could be 

young, konsa, mings, moreno    OR Konsa, Carlos, mings, moreno   OR  Cash, Konsa, MIngs, Moreno.

I suspect UE will start with the Konsa Carlos option expecting them to play with Mings as a 3 when in possession and push Moreno forward.    If that doesn't work and we need more attacking threat, he'll sub Konsa for Cash and hope something more attacking down our right side will open things up for us.  

I don't care how he does it, I just want us to unlock Spurs.  I want to play Brighton with Europe on the line.  What a day that would be !!!!

Or even a 4th possibility with Moreno and Mings:

Cash, Carlos, Mings, Moreno

But that would be very harsh on Konsa though as he's been so good since the start of the ten game unbeaten run.

We can win this one easily. Villa Park is a fortress at the moment. Another routine Home Win and we're marching into Europe.
Spurs been shipping in lots of goals against he top teams, and guess what. Villa are a top team!

4-0 Villa

• Like 1