Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 8 of 10

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's an absolutely embarrassing record tbh, even Unai alluded to it today.

... but for whatever reason we cannot seem to beat them at home. 

It has just reminded me of our recently broken (at last) winless run v Man Utd at home, although that was even worse, a lot longer. But losing the last seven league games at home to Tottenham is awful... not even managing to draw, let alone win, argh !

6 hours ago, robby b said:

It has just reminded me of our recently broken (at last) winless run v Man Utd at home, although that was even worse, a lot longer. But losing the last seven league games at home to Tottenham is awful... not even managing to draw, let alone win, argh !

Yep, Man Utd was 27 years without a home win and Unai broke that one in his first game. Its a bit strange that we've beaten Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the Manchester clubs at home more recently than we have Tottenham. 

• Like 1

I am not very optimistic about this one - judging by the high-scoring recent results of other clubs and Villa's last below-par performance, it seems that May is a time when players tend to switch off.

I hope it is an interesting game but not too interesting, in the negative sense of the word.

8 hours ago, robby b said:

The onus is on us at Home to take the initiative.....that means open up.....just what Spurs want.

Tottenham like to play an expansive game, and with Kane and son thats dangerous....hence we lose so much to them at home.

We need to play a canny game, similar to Wolves last week..... we can't afford to go Gung ho....catch them on the counter.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

On 10/05/2023 at 15:16, BOF said:

For motivational purposes.

They always expose our high line when we play them at VP. I actually thought that Son image above was him scoring last minute winner in 2020 but it was last season with Cash in the image. I can remember them getting a penalty when they just chipped a simple ball over the top, all our CBs were stranded 40 yards from goal and think eventually Engels took out Moura as he got into the box.

Last season we played very well in the first half, missed endless chances and then they picked us off diagonally after half time.

We need to get our distances right there. We did in the away match but this game we're going to have to take more risks unless the plan is just to keep it tight for an hour and then step it up which could be logical given the bench is stronger now.

Hopefully Ramsey can get going as that Porro guy leaves so much space to run into down the right so I think Kamara will start and we'll have McGinn back out wider.

We've done too well for this season to basically just end now so I'll go for a 2-1 win to keep things interesting for last two weeks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's an absolutely embarrassing record tbh, even Unai alluded to it today. We haven't beaten them at home since NYD 2008, over 15 years ago, a home win is well, well, well overdue. Our away record at Spurs is actually reasonable, since 2015 we've won there three times and lost three times, but for whatever reason we cannot seem to beat them at home.

Part of the reason for that I'm sure is how sh*t we've been over the years and now that we are finally competing again near the top end of the league I'd expect sh*tty records like this to start to change, hopefully that starts on Saturday. We certainly need to improve from the last couple of games. 

Must be our worst home run v team given the Man. United hoodoo thankfully ended in November. Beat all of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea at VP in 20/21 season. Man. City is another poor one but most teams in league can say that nowadays, we beat them in Jan 2011 aswell.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They always expose our high line when we play them at VP. I actually thought that Son image above was him scoring last minute winner in 2020 but it was last season with Cash in the image. I can remember them getting a penalty when they just chipped a simple ball over the top, all our CBs were stranded 40 yards from goal and think eventually Engels took out Moura as he got into the box.

Last season we played very well in the first half, missed endless chances and then they picked us off diagonally after half time.

We need to get our distances right there. We did in the away match but this game we're going to have to take more risks unless the plan is just to keep it tight for an hour and then step it up which could be logical given the bench is stronger now.

Hopefully Ramsey can get going as that Porro guy leaves so much space to run into down the right so I think Kamara will start and we'll have McGinn back out wider.

We've done too well for this season to basically just end now so I'll go for a 2-1 win to keep things interesting for last two weeks.

Spot on.

It can be a common theme for us.....Man U and Liverpool do it.

The problem is, it becomes an easy afternoon, for them,  if that happens....but we can't afford to defend too deep either.

Spurs won once and lost 3 times during their 6 games in April. Shame they got the win against palace, because otherwise their form is bang average (being generous).

Also they've not won an away game since 28th Jan (FA cup against Preston).   

Edit. And we've not lost at home since 18th Feb (with all of the home games since being wins). 

Edited by HKP90

The other thing to remember is, lads it's Ryan **** Mason. He's not exactly ... Unai Emery when it comes to tactics.

I think despite the temptation to be more attacking, Unai will go with the midfield maestro lineup. Get Cash back in as Young has finally looked his age the past few matches.

Spurs aren't exactly a very rehearsed team. They've got Kane/Son/Kulusevski that can punish you in an instant, but I don't think they're going to be breaking down a low or mid block with any consistency. They've gone back to 3 at the back since the Newcastle debacle so we need to take advantage of one of those wingbacks bombing on in transition.

Don't think we have the players needed to make up the GD for this match but I'll take the 3 points in what I think will be a bit of a dull match. Villa will want to keep numbers back so they're not caught out with Son running free at the back post and Spurs aren't a high pressing team either. Much like the reverse fixture away, a slow chess match with a lack of concentration leading to the opener.

• Like 1